COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at numbers, I just have a hard time pairing the hysteria and pessimism with the outcome seen across the sea.
I realize we can’t trust exact numbers from the Chinese government but in this connected world, it’s gotta be unlikely that there are tens of thousands of unaccounted for dead.

Official numbers in China are around 3200, approximately 5x less than will die today from hunger.

How did this deadly, fast spreading virus, with no vaccine only kill 3200 (likely a few thousand more) people in a country where rates of smoking among males is 50%, and daily Life occurs in highly polluted air. On top of that, they live on top of each other in very densely populated cities. A 10 million person city isn't uncommon in China.

Either it isn’t that deadly, or if it is as deadly as we are told, we need to be looking to China of all places on what to do, as life is going back to normal there and has been for a week.

I agree. The numbers don't match the hype. If this disease is going to kill millions of people as many of the experts predicted.....wouldn't the death tolls in China, Italy, and Iran be doubling, tripling, quadrupling every day? China's number of deaths per day has been decreasing since the middle of February. Something is not adding up.

Looking at numbers, I just have a hard time pairing the hysteria and pessimism with the outcome seen across the sea.
I realize we can’t trust exact numbers from the Chinese government but in this connected world, it’s gotta be unlikely that there are tens of thousands of unaccounted for dead.

Official numbers in China are around 3200, approximately 5x less than will die today from hunger.

How did this deadly, fast spreading virus, with no vaccine only kill 3200 (likely a few thousand more) people in a country where rates of smoking among males is 50%, and daily Life occurs in highly polluted air. On top of that, they live on top of each other in very densely populated cities. A 10 million person city isn't uncommon in China.

Either it isn’t that deadly, or if it is as deadly as we are told, we need to be looking to China of all places on what to do, as life is going back to normal there and has been for a week.
Exactly

A little science to start the morning:

If I had to guess a few things.

China forced behavior of their citizens that would never fly in countries more free- I read a story about their version of the neighborhood watch utilizing violence against their fellow citizens who dared even step out into the street. Communists are great at telling on each other.

Their government mobilized in ways our government never could - capitalism is the best for many things, but existential risk response may not be one of those things. When you control the entire medical system you can redirect the entire medical system with a single decision.

Their numbers are likely falsified, though I think you are right that they can't be that far off.

In terms of them getting back to normal, this began to hit China in December,so we are a good month behind them. China basically shut down for a month and a half, which is what we are sort of doing, though not nearly to the degree their government could force upon their citizens. Primarily though,China engaged in containment. Here and in other countries, we abandoned containment as hopeless early on, a big reason being we failed early on at providing widespread testing. Now the best we can do is flatten the curve. I've read more than one epidemiologist say containment is the absolute best thing to do when an outbreak like this starts, but we acted too late.

This article touches on China's success. I hope the pessimists, like myself, are way off

Last edited:
I agree. The numbers don't match the hype. If this disease is going to kill millions of people as many of the experts predicted.....wouldn't the death tolls in China, Italy, and Iran be doubling, tripling, quadrupling every day? China's number of deaths per day has been decreasing since the middle of February. Something is not adding up.
Because they took extreme measures to stop the spread of the disease.

There are plenty of articles for you and Gomer to go research that discuss your questions.

Because they took extreme measures to stop the spread of the disease.

There are plenty of articles for you and Gomer to go research that discuss your questions.
They didn't take extreme measures from day one. It has spread to over a hundred countries from China. If China was so timely and aggressive, it would not have spread all over the world.

Can't have it both ways. China was so good at containment. Yet somehow the disease spread to hundreds of countries from China. And somehow did not spread very severely in China. Or kill that many people in China. Yet its cities are among the most congested and polluted in the world.

Here is the best example I can show of what China did/are doing. This is just traffic congestion over the last seven days, AFTER they reopened a city of 11 Million people. You can go the TomTom website and type in US cities and see the impact. just keep in mind it is congestion and NOT total traffic, but it is an indicator. China instituted hard rules (with threat at proverbial gunpoint?), the US is making "recommendations" and hope the citizen step up.

1584463153222.png

Did anyone see or hear about the possible complications with corvid 19 if you take ace 2 inhibitor blood pressure medication. If you take an ace 2 I think its worth some self education/invstigation on the matter

IMO, proper disaster response will always seem like an over reaction.

I agree. But I think we as a country are going to have to decide which "disasters" we are going to be willing to prevent in the future. I'm willing to bet the US could prevent at least half of the annual 20,000 to 80,000 flu deaths if we decide to take these extreme measures every year. There are costs and benefits to all of these choices. Seems to me this snowball got rolling and there is no turning back.....no matter the cost. Even if the numbers come out in a couple of weeks and show that it isn't as bad as we thought.

Please people to not be ignorant about this virus, I know it can be comforting to compare this to other causes of death and try to shrug it off, but realize also that this is brand new virus and these casualties are all going to be compounding with any other disease or death rate you can produce. Pull your head out of the sand. Italy recorded 368 deaths overnight from the virus. People are dying at home, there are not enough resources for everyone to even make it to the hospital. Healthcare workers are getting sick, and they haven't begun to flatten the curve yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back