COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and hopeful

I thought this was another interesting article. It basically states that the only solution is to increase our medical capacities, as flattening the curve will still leave us fatally resource-constrained under current trends. In just over a week, China built entire hospitals. That may be a lesson we can learn.

I thought this was another interesting article. It basically states that the only solution is to increase our medical capacities, as flattening the curve will still leave us fatally resource-constrained under current trends. In just over a week, China built entire hospitals. That may be a lesson we can learn.

Timely. In today's press conference Trump talked about utilizing to the Army Corps of Engineers to construct hospitals as needed.

Please people to not be ignorant about this virus, I know it can be comforting to compare this to other causes of death and try to shrug it off, but realize also that this is brand new virus and these casualties are all going to be compounding with any other disease or death rate you can produce. Pull your head out of the sand. Italy recorded 368 deaths overnight from the virus. People are dying at home, there are not enough resources for everyone to even make it to the hospital. Healthcare workers are getting sick, and they haven't begun to flatten the curve yet.

Is the average age of death in Italy still around 82?

The data collected so far on how many people are infected and how the epidemic is evolving are utterly unreliable. Given the limited testing to date, some deaths and probably the vast majority of infections due to SARS-CoV-2 are being missed. We don’t know if we are failing to capture infections by a factor of three or 300. Three months after the outbreak emerged, most countries, including the U.S., lack the ability to test a large number of people and no countries have reliable data on the prevalence of the virus in a representative random sample of the general population.

I don’t know what to think of this just yet but they’re talking about sending a$1000 check to every American adult.

I'll gladly give up nights at the pub for this guy. Not sure how I missed that thread the first go round, but that is good stuff.

Did anyone see or hear about the possible complications with corvid 19 if you take ace 2 inhibitor blood pressure medication. If you take an ace 2 I think its worth some self education/invstigation on the matter
This started with one non-peer reviewed letter that didn't even concluded this but suggested follow up studies. Here are links to reactions from a number of medical experts saying that you should keep taking your meds until your doctor tells you not to. There is even some reference to theoretical benefits of ACE2 during infection as well.

It seems that there are hour to hour announcements about event cancellations, public space shutdowns and "work from home" policies. This one cuts the other way. An employee that resigned rather than to continue to go into work at an employer who wasn't will to waive their "no work from home" policy:

Is the average age of death in Italy still around 82?
Pretty close:
Silvio Brusaferro, the president of Italy’s Higher Institute of Health, said on Friday that the average age of coronavirus victims was 80.3, with the majority having suffered underlying illnesses. The most common additional health issue was arterial hypertension followed by chronic heart disease, atrial fibrillation and cancer.

That was a fascinating article. You can tell it was written by an economist. They tend toward relatively emotionless analysis, which can be useful at times but also feels cold to read.

Pretty close:
Silvio Brusaferro, the president of Italy’s Higher Institute of Health, said on Friday that the average age of coronavirus victims was 80.3, with the majority having suffered underlying illnesses. The most common additional health issue was arterial hypertension followed by chronic heart disease, atrial fibrillation and cancer.

It will be interesting to see when they get more data if the "hypertension effect" is real or just an artifact of the age of the patients - by this I mean, if you are 45 years old and have treated hypertension are you actually at higher risk.

The average life expectancy for 2019 was 78 years. The average age of a corona death is over 80 years old. Not that I don't care about old people. Just some data to consider. The best times of my life were spent the majority of time with folks in their 80's.

But only people who likely have it or think they have it are currently being tested. That greatly inflates the figures.

It inflates the perceived infection rate, but it decreases false positives, which is important, at least for now.

Pretty close:

21.7% of persons over 65 in the US are in fair to poor health

Obestity Rates
  • Men aged 65-74: 40.2%
  • Men aged 75 and over: 28.0%
  • Women aged 65-74: 43.5%
  • Women aged 75 and over: 32.7%
Other complication with our elderly population is too many to list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back