Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

just another day, EXCEPT THAT IT WASN’T !!!!!!!!

Little Big Man MT Chris

A little backstory , my job allows me to meet new people all the time , and I had seen this older gentleman before over the last year walking and or driving when I was in his neighborhood, no cane or walker , moved somewhat fluidly and still drives , I thought he was late 70’s early 80’s

He had veteran plates which are very common, except I noticed an old faded white sticker on the bumper that said WWII veteran, my initial thoughts were bull crap , that’s just an old sticker from when he got the car . Until today when he came walking up to me with a baseball cap that said NORMANDY .... I did a quick double take and said in disbelief you were in WWII , he replied with a smile ya , I’m 95 there ain’t many of us left . I said it’s an honor to meet you as I stuck out my hand and said thank you for your service.

I told him that my grandfather had fought in World War II in the Philippines, and had passed along time ago . He said that he got to pick where you wanted to go and he choose Europe and then he looked at me and said I landed in Normandy on Utah beach, I almost fell over , Went all the way through Europe to Bastogne and then ended up in Czechoslovakia where we bumped into the Russian Army .

I said UTAH BEACH ??? And he said yes but I was not in the initial D DAY invasion, But came ashore later , But he did tell me that he fought at Bastogne during the battle of the bulge and was on the outer perimeter lines protecting the city I don’t think he was airborne but he did tell me that eight or nine years ago him and some guys from the airborne that were still alive were flown back to Belgium and honored by the Belgian government for their service during WWII ..

At this point I was in total awe and couldn’t believe how well and how sharp he was for his age and again thanked him for his service and asked him if I could get a picture with him to which he replied of course and he said let me get my hat and then he walked in his house and got his hat with his combat service medals from World War II , I am still in disbelief and just thinking how special today was for getting to meet this man , who fought at Bastogne

I hope to in the future as I talk to him I will get to find out his unit and I’m hoping to take him out and buy him breakfast or lunch and just get to listen to him and get to know about him as a person and listen to him share his story because he wanted to talk more but I didn’t have time

Here’s me and my new friend BUD , WWII combat veteran from BASTOGNE ..... WOW

F0A82456-C444-4553-BE9D-104014D69697.jpeg

Last edited:
That's amazing. I bet he has better stories than anyone. There's definitely not many of his type left unfortunately.

Less than 3% of vets from WWII are still with us. The article above has a lot of good info. Get a recorder and take him out to eat and just chat. This is what true heros look like! Coming ashore the day after D-day had to be almost as bad as the day of D-day. To see the aftermath of what happened... God bless him!

You're lucky to know him Chris. Not for nothing they're penned the greatest generation.

yeah I do know that , That’s why I’ve been walking around with a smile on my face all day , I’m 50 and I know all us guys who are in our 50s and 60s we had parents or family members Serve in World War II and when we are all growing up as kids in the 60s and 70s theses guys were are heroes , I’ve read a lot of history books on World War II I’ve read about Bastogne, That’s why I had to share today with everybody because I know that pretty much everybody feels the same way that I do about these guys

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to hear his story and for sharing with us. I bet it meant a lot to him that you took the time to listen🇺🇸

Wow unreal I have 2 grandfathers that served in WWII unfortunately both passed when I was young. My uncles tell the stories but not that they would've I bet. A tremendous respect I have for all military personnel, first responders the whole gang. Truly an American hero there. Thanks for sharing.

Wow unreal I have 2 grandfathers that served in WWII unfortunately both passed when I was young. My uncles tell the stories but not that they would've I bet. A tremendous respect I have for all military personnel, first responders the whole gang. Truly an American hero there. Thanks for sharing.
My Grandfather passed when I was young also. All the stories I've heard came from other family, and my Grandmother. He was also the Sheriff of Toole county in Montana. Some say he ousted the last brothel in that area in the 60's. A hated man in certain circles. Gotta thank Chris for his post. mtmuley

that is awesome. you probably made his day as well. hope to hear some more stories as you get to know your knew friend.

That's pretty amazing. My great grandfather also served in WWII but he never talked about it so I don't know anything about it. He did serve in the Missoula police department and luckily I was past down plenty of those stories.
Thanks for sharing, it would be so amazing to hear his story.

I had the privilege of meeting and knowing a man, who as since passed away, that was a belly gunner in a bomber during the allied push for air dominance over Europe. He flew in his required missions and made it home without ever suffering so much as a scratch. He sure had a lot of stories and photos. For a WW2 history buff like me, it was pure joy, and admiration to listen to him. Glad you have a new friend!

That is really cool. Much respect to this man. I was never much of a history buff, but just finished watching this series on Netflix. It was very well done and has dedicated episodes to D-Day, The Battle of the Bulge and Midway amongst others I highly recommend. Thanks for posting this hero’s pic and short story about him. You’re lucky to be his neighbor and friend.

What a privilege to meet a guy like that, I hope you get to follow up and have more conversation with him! My grandad lied about his age so he could enlist in the Navy at 17 to fight in WWII, and ended up being crewman in a TBM Avenger. He passed when I was 21, I really, really wish he would have lived a little longer so I had a chance to record his stories.

Thank you for sharing. Great day. I know what it was like in the late 60's early 70's across the pond but I have the highest degree of respect for the boys that landed on the beaches.

I know how you feel, that is so cool. I had a neighbor that I would give fresh potatoes to in the summer. then I told him that I would not be seeing him for around a year as I was shipping out. He told me he had landed on Omaha beach, we spent the rest of the day talking. to bad he passed before I made it back.

Very cool! Through work I met a local farmer last year that is a WWII vet. Still farms on his own!! I mentioned his purple heart plate and he said he'd been shot 3 times and at one time had 37 holes in his body from bullets and shrapnel! Said the only bad part about getting old was he couldn't see as well as he used to. Quite the humbling conversation.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back