Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you folks: As I watch all of the coverage on this. somewhere along the way one of the experts opines that the virus has been here in the US for around 2-3 months. Given that China had it somewhere back in Nov.
Now, They are also telling us this virus is more contagious than the flu ( I have seen 3X)
They are also telling us, based at least off of some of the available statistics that this virus is 10 to 20 times more lethal.

If all of this is true then this virus should have had time to infect most of the US population and therefore the death rate, at least, should be much much higher than we have. Actually significantly higher.

If the virus has been in the US for 2-3 months then none of the above can be true. a fast moving virus with lethal results would have killed a lot of people by now.
Since the death rate is not at all high at this point. Either this virus has not been here very long at all, or it not as lethal as they say, more like the regular flu. You can't have both. Yes?

So what exactly is the difference?
Anybody find some hard facts on what's different about these? Why is covid-19 more of a threat than passed pandemics?
From the article you referenced and other sources, (a) SARS only infected 8,000 in a whole year, CV-19 has infected over 180,000 in 90 days or so; and (b) H1N1 had very low mortality rate, while it will be some time to get the same numbers for CV-19 it almost certainly will be significantly higher, probably by a factor of 10.

Question for you folks: As I watch all of the coverage on this. somewhere along the way one of the experts opines that the virus has been here in the US for around 2-3 months. Given that China had it somewhere back in Nov.
Now, They are also telling us this virus is more contagious than the flu ( I have seen 3X)
They are also telling us, based at least off of some of the available statistics that this virus is 10 to 20 times more lethal.

If all of this is true then this virus should have had time to infect most of the US population and therefore the death rate, at least, should be much much higher than we have. Actually significantly higher.

If the virus has been in the US for 2-3 months then none of the above can be true. a fast moving virus with lethal results would have killed a lot of people by now.
Since the death rate is not at all high at this point. Either this virus has not been here very long at all, or it not as lethal as they say, more like the regular flu. You can't have both. Yes?
You can't draw your conclusion from the facts you presented. If "patient zero" was in US on Nov 30; and you have 9-14 day asymptomatic phase (which is the case); and if it is primarily spread with person to person contact (which is the case); and if it takes about an additional 14-20 days to die (which is indicated in some things I have read but not certain); and if 80-90% of the folks who got it just thought it was a cold that went away (which is the case); and if the first few dozen deaths in late December or early Jan were mis-understood to be Influenza (which is likely given overlapping symptoms); and if we haven't done sufficient testing to really understand larger asymptomatic and "just a cold" population exposure then the current trajectory could be right on track. Lots of unknowns and assumptions in all of this (and just about everything else) but your assertion that earlier patient zero proves this is a "non-issue" doesn't hold water. Hopefully the lethality of the virus will drop over time (which happens fairly commonly with infectious disease); and hopefully we are now better prepared to treat the sick; and hopefully the social distancing steps we are taking in the US will flatten the curve; and maybe (and certainly hopefully) this won't be a disaster. Having all the nay-sayers be able to say "I told you so" in June would be a great outcome for all, but not an outcome prudent people should use as a guide today.

Hyperbole....😋
We have no way of knowing that. I asked for hard facts. Hard facts so I can understand the different responses on these pandemics.
Average age of death in US from corona so far is 80.
Average age of death from swine roughly 41.
That is a strange statistic to me when it comes to the lethality of the viruses.

@VikingsGuy

Ps. As buffalo fan I think we made a good fair trade. 👍

EPA registered Coronavirus effective disinfectants for those interested. Contact time is the important thing with these as this is the "wet" contact time or the time the surface stays wetted with the disinfectant. Spraying on and wiping off is not effective.

Also, wastewater plant operators need n95 masks too. Luckily, I have my plant stocked well. I've told my operators to limit contact and limit areas were water may mist and cause contact with the aerosol. A lot of our maintenance items will be put off until this dies down.

Also, pass along that flushable wipes (laughable-extremely NOT flushable), paper towels, shop towels(saw this on the humor thread) are very detrimental the sewer collection system and the treatment system. They will cause clogs and equipment failures, meaning workers have to come into contact with contaminated surfaces and risk exposure. Just keep it in mind before you flush it down the toilet.

You can't draw your conclusion from the facts you presented. If "patient zero" was in US on Nov 30; and you have 9-14 day asymptomatic phase (which is the case); and if it is primarily spread with person to person contact (which is the case); and if it takes about an additional 14-20 days to die (which is indicated in some things I have read but not certain); and if 80-90% of the folks who got it just thought it was a cold that went away (which is the case); and if the first few dozen deaths in late December or early Jan were mis-understood to be Influenza (which is likely given overlapping symptoms); and if we haven't done sufficient testing to really understand larger asymptomatic and "just a cold" population exposure then the current trajectory could be right on track. Lots of unknowns and assumptions in all of this (and just about everything else) but your assertion that earlier patient zero proves this is a "non-issue" doesn't hold water. Hopefully the lethality of the virus will drop over time (which happens fairly commonly with infectious disease); and hopefully we are now better prepared to treat the sick; and hopefully the social distancing steps we are taking in the US will flatten the curve; and maybe (and certainly hopefully) this won't be a disaster. Having all the nay-sayers be able to say "I told you so" in June would be a great outcome for all, but not an outcome prudent people should use as a guide today.
You just repeated with more numbers then what I was generally surmising. If the lethality of this is what we are being told then the number of deaths should be going up rather dramatically with each passing day as we move forward. so far that is not the case.

Hyperbole....😋
We have no way of knowing that. I asked for hard facts. Hard facts so I can understand the different responses on these pandemics.
Average age of death in US from corona so far is 80.
Average age of death from swine roughly 41.
That is a strange statistic to me when it comes to the lethality of the viruses.

@VikingsGuy

It truly feels like you formed an opinion weeks ago and no amount of information will change it.
Not sure if you are just playing devils advocate for the sake of argument or if you have 0 common sense.

He is a really talented receiver, no doubt. But the first game your sometimes inaccurate QB overthrows him when open and then a few snaps later scrambles instead of targeting him he will pout. A real diva and that is not something Zimmer and the other veterans on this team will stomach. It feels like a fair trade - you got top ten receiver with an attitude and we got decent draft picks. The bigger news for the Bills is that Brady is out of your conference now!

@VikingsGuy to be fair idk if we can have any hard facts until the whole thing passes. I'm also glad we are taking it very seriously. I just dont understand what is different about this one that made us take it more seriously than we did in the past.
Yup - things like infection rates, mortality rates, does infection result in lasting immunity, how effective in merely social distancing in leu of full quarantine work? Lot's of questions that by definition won't be clear until June.

He is a really talented receiver, no doubt. But the first game you sometimes inaccurate QB overthrows him when open and then a few snaps later scrambles instead of targeting him he will pout. A real diva and that is not something Zimmer and the other veterans on this team will stomach. It feels like a fair trade - you got top ten receiver with an attitude and we got decent draft picks. The bigger news for the Bills is that Brady is out of your conference now!
Yea the diva thing scares me especially with the culture buffalo has built the last few years. Hopefully mcdermott can beat the diva out of him. But I digress as to not change the thread

Looking at numbers, I just have a hard time pairing the hysteria and pessimism with the outcome seen across the sea.
I realize we can’t trust exact numbers from the Chinese government but in this connected world, it’s gotta be unlikely that there are tens of thousands of unaccounted for dead.

Official numbers in China are around 3200, approximately 5x less than will die today from hunger.

How did this deadly, fast spreading virus, with no vaccine only kill 3200 (likely a few thousand more) people in a country where rates of smoking among males is 50%, and daily Life occurs in highly polluted air. On top of that, they live on top of each other in very densely populated cities. A 10 million person city isn't uncommon in China.

Either it isn’t that deadly, or if it is as deadly as we are told, we need to be looking to China of all places on what to do, as life is going back to normal there and has been for a week.

On this we are agreed. I should have just PM'd him.
Although I appreciate your research and the helpful information you contribute ... I don't need to know of your opinion on every facet of life throughout the day on this forum.

What helps us old timers out here wringing our hands is good information, expressed succinctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back