Yeti GOBOX Collection

Covid-19 - Emerging treatment news thread (no politics, no tin foil hats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would indicate a fatality rate of around 0.7%

and, 0.7% fatality rate across US population of 325 million = 2.3 million deaths - Even if you project only 70% get it and then herd immunity hits, you are talking 1.6 million deaths. Now, I don't think it gets over 400,000 but 0.7% fatality rate is not a low number across a population that lacks pre-existing immunity.

A new study by a medical journal revealed that most of the people in New York City who were hospitalized due to coronavirus had one or more underlying health issues.

Health records from 5,700 patients hospitalized within the Northwell Health system -- which housed the most patients in the country throughout the pandemic -- showed that 94 percent of patients had more than one disease other than COVID-19, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

NYC TO HOST MACY'S ANNUAL FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS DESPITE CORONAVIRUS

Data taken from March to early April showed that the median age of patients was 63 years old and 53 percent of all coronavirus patients suffered from hypertension, the most prevalent of the ailments among patients.

In addition, 42 percent of coronavirus patients who had body mass index (BMI) data on file suffered from obesity while 32 percent of all patients suffered from diabetes.

The study also revealed that the overwhelming majority of patients who were on ventilators eventually died, and those who did more often had diabetes.

Data gathered from 2,634 patients who either died or were discharged from the hospital showed that 12 percent of them were placed on ventilators and of those who were, 88 percent of them died.

A new study by a medical journal revealed that most of the people in New York City who were hospitalized due to coronavirus had one or more underlying health issues.

Health records from 5,700 patients hospitalized within the Northwell Health system -- which housed the most patients in the country throughout the pandemic -- showed that 94 percent of patients had more than one disease other than COVID-19, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).

NYC TO HOST MACY'S ANNUAL FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS DESPITE CORONAVIRUS

Data taken from March to early April showed that the median age of patients was 63 years old and 53 percent of all coronavirus patients suffered from hypertension, the most prevalent of the ailments among patients.

In addition, 42 percent of coronavirus patients who had body mass index (BMI) data on file suffered from obesity while 32 percent of all patients suffered from diabetes.

The study also revealed that the overwhelming majority of patients who were on ventilators eventually died, and those who did more often had diabetes.

Data gathered from 2,634 patients who either died or were discharged from the hospital showed that 12 percent of them were placed on ventilators and of those who were, 88 percent of them died.

Comorbidity.

Per the CDC: In 2017–2018, the age-adjusted prevalence of obesity in adults was 42.4%, and there were no significant differences between men and women among all adults or by age group.

Just for clarity's sake this data should be viewed with the following context in mind:
  • 40% of all Americans are BMI-defined obese -- meaning 130,000,000 at risk for that underlying health issue alone.
  • The median data means a full half of the deaths are coming from people younger than 63, not exactly assisted living folks
  • Over 30% of Americans over the age of 20 have hypertension. This includes approx. 20% of thirty year olds. Again, that's 100 million Americans
  • 10% of Americans suffer from diabetes. 32,500,000 Americans
  • Approx. 10 million Americans under the age of 65 are immuno-supressed
  • Half of America hit at least one "one underlying" checkbox, a third hit more than one.
  • Over 80% of Americans have an immediate family member with one of these conditions
I am not in the position to tell people what all this means for economic policy or public health policy, but let's be very clear - this is not just about 90 year old shut-ins dying from this rather than something else this year anyway.

The president offered a few novel treatments for the novel virus in today's briefing. He certainly got my attention.

Just for clarity's sake this data should be viewed with the following context in mind:
  • 40% of all Americans are BMI-defined obese -- meaning 130,000,000 at risk for that underlying health issue alone.
  • The median data means a full half of the deaths are coming from people younger than 63, not exactly assisted living folks
  • Over 30% of Americans over the age of 20 have hypertension. This includes approx. 20% of thirty year olds. Again, that's 100 million Americans
  • Half of America hit at least one "one underlying" checkbox, a third hit more than one.
  • Over 80% of Americans have an immediate family member with one of these conditions
I am not in the position to tell people what all this means for economic policy or public health policy, but let's be very clear - this is not just about 90 year old shut-ins dying from this rather than something else this year anyway.
What it means to me is this, instead of waiting for a vaccine the very first thing to do is I would start a diet and cardio regiment TODAY for the majority of the conditions listed. The progress one can make in as little as a month is incredible. Personal accountability will save a lot of people who are capable of doing diet and cardio workouts.

You cannot apply the information in that way. The percentage of people with X medical condition that would be hospitalized if they caught covid-19 is a VERY different number from the percentage of people with X medical condition who are hospitalized that test positive from covid-19. It would be entirely possible for 99% of people hospitalized with covid-19 to have COPD, yet, only 10% of people with COPD and covid-19 to actually require hospitalization. The two numbers are very loosely related. The numbers could be close to the same, and they could be worlds apart. That’s not a medical fact, it’s a mathematical/logical fact. No medical expert is required to see that “how many people in the hospital with covid have X disease?” and “how many people with X disease would be hospitalized if they caught covid” are two different questions, with two different answers.

I did say that the two numbers were loosely related. Rather than compare the 63% of hospitalized patients with covid-19 who also suffered from hypertension to the number of people in the US who have hypertension, you should actually compare it to the percentage of the normal hospitalized population who has hypertension. If on a normal day pre-covid 50% of people hospitalized for some reason, also had hypertension, that’s not necessarily a strong link. If during a normal flu season, 63% of those hospitalized with the flu, also had hypertension, the we’re not looking at anything we aren’t already accustomed to.

The proper conclusion to draw from “Y percent of people hospitalized with covid-19 also have X disease” is not, “Gee, Z percent of Americans have X disease, so Y percent of them are going to be hospitalized if they catch covid.” Y percent was not valid there. It’s the wrong number number. The proper conclusion is “well, people with X disease end up in the hospital all the time, I wonder how many more are in the hospital now that we have covid to deal with?”

You have the same issue with the median age of those hospitalized. You should compare the average age of death “from” covid-19 to life expectancy, and you should compare the median age of people in the hospital with covid-19 to the normal median age of people in the hospital.

The average age of death from people with covid-19 in Italy was within two years of life expectancy last time I checked.

Last edited:
@JLS was faster than me 😁

At risk of being accused of opposing something “just because Trump pushes it”...

Please, God, DO NOT ingest, inhale, inject, or immerse yourself in household cleaners or disinfectants. National Poison Control was already reporting 20% increase in calls for disinfectant exposures/ingestion over the last month, before this.

I can’t believe people actually have to be told disinfectants are poisonous.

Interesting there is so much blowback on this since Trump pushes it. Not hearing nearly as much about the ventilators that many cried for. Ventilators have been nearly worthless in this fight.
I seem to recall Gov. Cuomo stating about 80% of patients who go onto a ventilator do not recover. So, you are correct in stating they have not been effective in fostering recover. However, a ventilator is also a medically proven piece of equipment that is used for patients in respiratory distress. It's apples and oranges in the comparison.

I seem to recall Gov. Cuomo stating about 80% of patients who go onto a ventilator do not recover. So, you are correct in stating they have not been effective in fostering recover. However, a ventilator is also a medically proven piece of equipment that is used for patients in respiratory distress. It's apples and oranges in the comparison.
And it’s quite important to the 20% that live. I am amazed at how casual some are with the lives of others. My guess is they will be less cavalier if/when their spouse/child gets sick from whatever may hospitalize them.

And it’s quite important to the 20% that live. I am amazed at how casual some are with the lives of others. My guess is they will be less cavalier if/when their spouse/child gets sick from whatever may hospitalize them.

It’s not being cavalier about other people dying, but not me. It’s about evaluating whether this virus is extremely deadly, rather mild, or somewhere in between. Last time I checked, we’re all going to die. If I die in my 60’s, 70’s or 80’s with a number of health problems after contracting a respiratory virus, that is an expected outcome. I won’t wanna go. I’ll want to spend all the time with family and friends that I can. It would still be expected. If I die in my 30’s while otherwise extremely healthy, that is cause for alarm. Anyone with health problems at any age should be very careful of known respiratory viruses, and even more careful of this one because it is unknown. The same goes for anyone who elderly, even if they are otherwise healthy.

If you’re going to die tomorrow of a respiratory virus, does it matter if it is covid-19 or a known influenza virus? On the other hand, if you’re gonna be perfectly fine tomorrow, provided you don’t catch covid-19, but if you catch covid-19, you’re gonna die, then yes, that’s a big deal. When someone has multiple health problems that can lead to death on their own, it becomes very difficult to separate out exactly how each different one contributes to their death. That’s why elevations in all cause mortality are valuable.

Evaluating how deadly covid-19 actually is, is not to suggest that we shouldn’t take care to protect those that at higher risk of sever outcomes, and it is certainly not to diminish any pain or loss that brings to anyone.

Last year, about 35,000 Americans died of the flu and 39,000 died in car accidents. We are now over 50,000 deaths from Covid-19. In essentially a month, coronavirus killed more people than the flu last year or car accidents last year, and that is with extreme social measures. That is something to think about.

I thought this article was interesting:

"We find that the number of daily tests carried out is much more important than their sensitivity, for the success of a case-isolation based strategy. "

New York had 12% survival rate in the ventilator. Not impressive treatment. Nothing cavalier, just an ineffective treatment that we were told was critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back