Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in my household works at the largest hospital in the state. They are not prepared for what is coming..... It is sad that in this day and age ventilators are in short supply before this lung virus has hit. Not sure how they will cope. Everyone think of the health care workers and the sick and elderly and KEEP OUT of anyplace you do not need to be. This will run it's course but the worst thing that can happen is all of us getting the virus at the same damn time. We need to space this out so those who get critical can get the care and equipment needed.

There’s a lot of unknowns with a lot of drastic measures being taken right now. You hear the terrible stories about the virus and then you hear it’s not that bad. Schools are starting to drop the hammer here in Missouri. The school I work for hasn’t yet, but it’s bound to come. My job will require my staff and I to remain to clean and disinfect all the buildings unless directed otherwise. The bright side is I purchase all supplies and have plenty of TP in stock.

Personally, I have an 87 year old grandmother in a nursing home fighting aspiration pneumonia who the doctors thought might have two weeks left a week ago. They’ve locked down the nursing home so you can’t get into see her. Dying along is not how I hope to see her go. Luckily, they have been letting my mother in, but screening her.

I hope all stay well and healthy.

Prayer sent your way.

If you've not viewed CDC's FAQ section there's a treasure trove of information produced with simple, succinct, and written in the average Joe/Jane language.

This thread has post counts that make it a challenging time sink. If this has been shared, cheers. A good FAQ to share again.

We finally decided to take this seriously and canceled all our family trips for the next month. It's really really tough, we're a close family that likes to see each other frequently.

Decenting opinions are important, even if they come from wackos, we should undertand what we are up against in this.
Scary stuff.

Decenting opinions are important, even if they come from wackos, we should undertand what we are up against in this.
Scary stuff.

straight outta the Matrix. Can't tell real from fake.

The reason I wanted a thread with on the spot reports (spot reports). The only thing you can really believe is your own two eyes and what you observe. Extrapolating from your observations and anecdotal evidence is often just as valid as any other evidence. Maybe it is just my mindset, I was a Scout in the military, Military intelligence is often called an oxymoron for good reason, the only way to know for sure is to go look. For instance, I live on a quiet street with little traffic, but there is a predictable ebb and flow, I haven't heard a car drive by in hours. Just opinion but don't fall into the nationalistic trap that you are inherently better than other countries, your policies may or may not be working better than theirs, learn from their mistakes and successes.

In Italy, they are doing curbside triage. Maybe the reason the outbreak is less in the U.S. is that it was later getting started there, not ignoring it and the measures in place are actually working. They set up a triage center at the local hospitals here (central Germany), they call it pre-screening, I call it triage. Somebody thinks the situation is serious enough to implement some fairly drastic measures pre-emptively. The government is between a rock and a hard place, if they get out in front of it they are overreacting, if they fall behind they are incompetent.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I found this site, copied then realized it got posted a couple of hours ago. Here it is again, it tracks the timeline vs cases, deaths, recoveries very well. Kinda sobering.

I'm pulling this post forward. There are just short of 5000 cases in the USA. About 20% of them were found yesterday. :( The number of deaths each day is starting to accelerate also. :( :(

Last edited:
In a year when we look back at this we will either be saying we over reacted or we didn't do enough soon enough. Right now I think we should be on total lockdown for a minimum of 3 weeks. Will the economy tank yes. It's going to tank anyways. No one is looking at buying anything but supplies anyways. The longer we continue to do just a little more the longer it's going to last.

North Dakota closed schools for the week. Guessing it will end up longer than 1 week...

North Dakota closed schools for the week. Guessing it will end up longer than 1 week...
Yeah, at least 4 I would say. I will actually be surprised if they go back to school this year.

Our oldest daughter is an ICU RN at local hospital. They had their first CV-19 patient Sunday. The personal respirators where locked up and took hours to find somebody with a key (apparently they are a commonly stolen item) and none of the RNs or doctors on staff had been properly fitted. My daughter read management the riot act (I wonder where she gets this, must be from my wife :D ) and they got it all straightened out and are up to speed but seems like a rocky start.

There are many good links on twitter, I'd recommend finding a good epidemiologist and start following them, often they post a list of links.

First hand,,, night time traffic on the busiest street in town (ten feet in front of my house) has disappeared, morning commuters leaving here about half normal. Outside of my neighborhood traffic is maybe 10% of normal. Lots of blue collar where I live, jobs that are done by showing up and working.

I continue to bid and get contracts, not sure why, seems like we should be due a recession.

At my wife's work masks are in extremely short supply. Surgeons use one per shift, all shift, don't take it off N95. Nurses use normal masks when treating patients of unknown status, those also in very short supply, Looks like my wife will be treating non covid patients at least at first as they are sending people with the virus elsewhere. One of the docs took a Florida vacation last week, just to show that ignorance exists everywhere.

Stay healthy all,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back