COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I chatted with one of the managers at a local grocery store we frequent. He said the issue is stores pre order based upon typical sales volumes for that time of the year. He said the level of panic buying has completely tapped the local distribution warehouses, which in turn has completely taxed the capacity of trucks, drivers, etc. He anticipated it would be a little while before the supply chain was able to catch back up.

From that article,

"Previously, it was understood that, although asymptomatic spread of the disease was possible, it was not thought to be “the main way the virus spreads,” according to the CDC.

However, it has since become clear that the risks associated with the spread of coronavirus by individuals who are asymptomatic are higher than originally thought, according to Osterholm.

“At the very beginning of the outbreak, we had many questions about how transmission of this virus occurred,” he told CNN. “And unfortunately, we saw a number of people taking very firm stances about it was happening this way or it wasn't happening this way. And as we have continued to learn how transmission occurs with this outbreak, it is clear that many of those early statements were not correct.”"

Photo by peter attia on March 15, 2020.

I really appreciate all you guys who are posting helpful articles. The Washington Post graphic regarding the way transmission works and how “social distancing” helps really hit me.
I decided to take off work even though we are still open. I am lucky to have a fiancé with a good job who is working remotely and to have a cabin in upstate NY.
It was tough for me (and I feel some guilt about it) to jump ship when a lot of my guys are still working in NYC, but I feel it’s irresponsible for us to keep working in the city currently (the bosses and I don’t agree on this). Maybe if my job was in a rural place I’d feel differently, but with people riding subways, still going to bars, and making so much contact I don’t feel it’s worth it. Plus, no way in hell am I getting quarantined in the city when I have a perfectly good cabin in the mountains.
I also have a nephew with cystic fibrosis who recently got a liver transplant, and I watched my mother die on a ventilator two years ago, so I feel intensely about protecting the vulnerable at this time.

Worldometer stat compilation-
Anybody know of a place that shares data similar to the Worldmeter but carries out the statistical model? A friend of mine is doing it as part of a class he teaches.

89584136_10220247240945710_3078286434948349952_n.jpg90269919_10220247567033862_5366945941435711488_n.jpg76769687_10220250527147863_8860098188221087744_n.jpg

His modeling has opened my eyes to the light at the end of the tunnel. Although early, current modeling indicates 1500 deaths in America. I would love to research others who are doing same models. Just not sure where to look.

As posted above, DeWine closed down bars and restaurants. He's getting ripped by a lot of people here in the state right now, but I for one am glad he is doing what he is. 72 year old diabetic mom and my dad is in good health but will be 75 in May. I can see there being a lot more face to face talk around a dinner table for a lot of folks again. That is a net positive of this whole mess in my book.

I know we’re all acting like concerned citizens and caring about what happens and whether or not we’ll all go bankrupt etc etc. but can we just have some fun and throw around rumors about whether this chaos is going to make it easier to draw in NM CO MT NV UT????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back