Ever Had a TV hunter in your Hunting Area?

Lots of tv hunters in southern Ohio every year. It started back in the mid 2000s, particularly 2006 when John Schmucher killed his 290+non typical and Justin Metzner killed his 196 typical (on public land btw). There were several other non typical over 200 and several typical over 180 killed that year. It's been hell to find "free" land to hunt since. I've met several of the TV types. Most I wouldn't give a bucket of pig slop for them or their hunting ethics. Some are good people and truly care about the wildlife.

I am almost positive I passed the Newberg mobile in gnimoyw a few years ago.

Haven't had anyone come into my spots but learned how and where to hunt bears from a youtube channel on the Oregon coast. I know I am within probably 10 miles of them due to the area but the bears are there so I am happy, and it's unpressured! Also when people show GPS coordinates on a fish finder in a video I don't know what they expect, caught quite a few fish off one of those spots :)

Meateater is hitting me right where it hurts the last couple years. It's hard not taking it personal when it's a canyon generations of your family have hunted, and have your family's ashes scattered in.

I'm so sickened by the hunting 'industry' anymore it's disgusting. I guess that's the flip side of the coin to growing up somewhere great- you have to later watch it get exploited by someone looking to make a dollar.

In keeping with my contribution to the theme that so much is going to hell for keeps, I just finished K. Ross Toole's, "The Rape of Great Plains". My copy being covered in highlighter as almost all my books by that man are. I highlighted this sentence:

"If Montana - which in many essential respects, is a pristine area - cannot control the headlong, unnecessary rush toward devastating exploitation, then perhaps all Americans had better ask the question: Can it ever be stopped anywhere?"

Our family canyons and gulches are still just that. The chunks of country, and what constitutes family one would like to share them with - are scalable. Both, for me, ever-shrinking.

In keeping with my contribution to the theme that so much is going to hell for keeps, I just finished K. Ross Toole's, "The Rape of Great Plains". My copy being covered in highlighter as almost all my books by that man are. I highlighted this sentence:

"If Montana - which in many essential respects, is a pristine area - cannot control the headlong, unnecessary rush toward devastating exploitation, then perhaps all Americans had better ask the question: Can it ever be stopped anywhere?"

Our family canyons and gulches are still just that. The chunks of country, and what constitutes family one would like to share them with - are scalable. Both, for me, ever-shrinking.

I'm going to follow you around not to steal your hunting spots, but your book recommendations...

This forum is a one stop shop for all of life’s essentials. Bumper stickers, book reviews, banal jesting, and the best recommendations for fried chicken and chicken fried steak. With the occasional midget stripper reference thrown in for good measure.

And ice cream pictures.

This forum is a one stop shop for all of life’s essentials. Bumper stickers, book reviews, banal jesting, and the best recommendations for fried chicken and chicken fried steak. With the occasional midget stripper reference thrown in for good measure.

And ice cream pictures.
I feel like it's also the international authority on quality cheeses

Back to the original question: Yes, a certain writer for Outdoor life, ran head long into me packing a archery bull out I'd killed that day.

It was a fabulous spot in the Root, wild country, yet accessible. 42 miles from my door.

He brought 11 people the next year, and they hunted every day during the Rut. It was never the same.

Then I had a high mountain mule deer area. Mule deer lived up there, and many were very impressive. It was high altitude, with open slopes that where larger than a football field, with steep slopes.

A 80's video journalist found the place and hired outfitters to set up a drop camp up there. They showed mule deer that they killed there in several years worth of effort. For whatever reasons, the area died and they left. I've ventured back a time or two with zero results.

Usually the pressures increase with the notoriety. People just won't do the work necessary to find their own "Honey Hole'

Haven't had anyone come into my spots but learned how and where to hunt bears from a youtube channel on the Oregon coast. I know I am within probably 10 miles of them due to the area but the bears are there so I am happy, and it's unpressured! Also when people show GPS coordinates on a fish finder in a video I don't know what they expect, caught quite a few fish off one of those spots :)
We have a local fishing guide on the Mississippi River who posts videos at least a few times a week on social media. I have also seen him complain about pressure in his spots! 😂

I happened to be watching an episode of Lindners Angling edge on early season lake trout fishing and they were right in front of our cabin on lake of the woods, it is a very good spot for early season lakers as we catch them from the dock when they migrate through. I have not seen any increased pressure from it. Most boats still zip right past.

Have a friend who had a similar experience to Shoot Straight while bear hunting. The TV celeb hunter made a show of the area and ever since... he's found other green grass.

Friends and I watched someone pretending to hunt this year is Arizona. Camera guy shooting him from multiple angles as they walked through the desert. Also filmed multiple angles of the “Hunter” drawing his bow with no animals around

It was a series of shows that inspired my family and I to make a 900 mile move after I retired. A move that’s made us feel blessed to be living in this beautiful land. I look forward to possibly running into said celeb and or crew when they are in town.

Last edited:
Back