Ever Had a TV hunter in your Hunting Area?

Both Randy Newberg and Jason Matzinger live in the same city as I do, and I've known them from before they started their TV shows. I've never seen either of them out hunting, but often I recognize where they are hunting. Occasionally I'll see Randy out at our rifle range and we'll catch up on some of our latest hunts.

We all hate to see our favorite hunting areas shown on TV, but it seems like all good things must end, and Montana is being overrun with people with or without Randy's and Jason's TV shows.
Very true. Secret spots starting to lose their value about the time Google earth came along. What's that been, 15 plus years? It's just the way it is.

I'd love to meet Larry Potterfield. You never really know what a person is actually like, but he seems like a genuinely good guy. Runs a really good business too, IMO.

Only talked to him for a minute, but he was very pleasant and wished us luck with our hunt after we asked him how their hunt was going. Ironically, I had just ordered some stuff from Midway USA a couple of week prior.

I hunted caribou in Alaska near a bunch of long range bombers from tv. Talked to them while we waited for the transporter we both were using. Nice enough guys, closed the area to caribou the following year, no correlation.
I got a nice caribou on another hunt in another area using another transporter. I see TV and internet guys hunting from the same ridge frequently. It’s a dang good place.
a bunch of years ago I put everything I needed to survive for 2 weeks in a pack and left the road system. I packed in over 6 miles. I set up camp and this bozo archery hunter comes wandering by on his way out. We ate dinner together and talked for about 90 minutes. Great, great guy. I see him on tv all time. I wonder if he ever thinks about me?

I bet I know which ridge you're talking about...and that's still the best caribou I have seen anyone take, on all of my Alaska hunts... :)

Ole Newberg himself hunted an elk spot of mine. One of his crew killed a 6 point about 250 yards from my very first 6-point. I haven't been back since the episode aired, but my hunting partner went the following year without me, said it was "super crowded" but it could have just been coincidence. Either way I will be back there again this fall, even if there's a lot of people, there's a lot of people because there's a metric shit ton of elk.

Randy has hunted the same elk area I hunt several times in Wyoming. I dont think we have ever had a tag on the same year, but he was bouncing around some of the same areas I bounce around in. I dont notice any difference but then again tags dont come as frequently as they used to.

I think that is spot on.

I also wonder if a lot of NR hunters stopped using guides on private and went DIY on public.
Since 2004 in Region 7, quite a few big private ranches have gone form being leased by outfitters to being leased by a few individuals or even no hunting at all. I can think of hundreds of thousands of acres and the actual amount is likely in the millions of acres. This has shifted nonresident and resident pressure to public.

Last edited:
Rinalla hunted a unit I apply in and put it on blast with his show. The apps increased for all 3 weapon choices from 40-120 apps. Mossback was hunting a unit I was in one year.

I was hunting a Colorado unit in the mid 2000's and Christensen Arms was filming when Mogle was with them. Ran into them before season and then on the last day I had found a buck I was going to pass on. They showed up and shot the buck on video. It was on one of their videos and I am in it, which I didn't expect. I have also been in Colorado when Randy was dining in Delta, when he was on one of his hunts.

Rich

I saw Randy Ulmer with his Kids at the local Pizza shop and in the bank one day LOL, but He lived in the same town. He used to work out at a Gym there my daughter worked at. Down where we lived you would see alot of celeberties of all types. Cave Creek /North Scotsdale area. North of Phoenix 25 miles................BOB!

I bet I know which ridge you're talking about...and that's still the best caribou I have seen anyone take, on all of my Alaska hunts... :)
Yep, you know the place. Lots and lots of smiles on my face when I think about that trip. I ran like a girl when that griz sneaked up on us.

I just make it a point to pick crappy units that no self respecting tv guy/gal would want to visit. If ya'll are interested I will show you my list if you show me your list of units/drainage's where you ran into those rats. Just need to know which ones to avoid. I promise I won't go there. Honest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back