PEAX Equipment

Ever Had a TV hunter in your Hunting Area?

2rocky

What Effect did it have? More hunters at the trailhead? Draw Creep in the unit?

Did you see the TV episode? Did it give it away?

What Effect did it have? More hunters at the trailhead? Draw Creep in the unit?

Did you see the TV episode? Did it give it away?

Bunch of times (multiple spots), no discernible difference in hunters or draw odds.

Love those episodes... I could tell and all the locals knew for sure.

Not something I worry about.

Last edited:
I had one tell me they would reverse the scenery shots to confuse folks looking for landmarks.

Was talking to South Cox and he ran into a couple bowhunters when he was working for Eastmans. They stalked him from an episode on tv on google earth, and they even told him so.

Saw one today that showed the hunter's home address and the unit on the tag. ooooffff!

I've seen it in a couple other instances. Seems to put out quite an attractant for the upcoming seasons.

Needless to say if its public it's public, I guess if they're following the rules then what are you gonna do about it. The old saying goes "loose lips sink ships" which there ain't 1 not 1 TV star that hasnt broken that rule.

I ran into the guys from full draw adventures one year in CO. Super nice guys and friends with 2 of them now. Helped one last year kill his first bull.

I’ve guided both hunting and fishing shows, The ROI really wasn’t there on the hunting although they were successful. I wouldn’t do a hunt show again. The fishing produced a very favorable ROI. Haven’t done a fishing show in a few years but we still host the Celebrity every year. He also writes so we show up in Drake, STS and the like.
If you’re getting into the business, particularly hunting, don’t take the bait. Don’t give away a good hunt for a TV show.

Nope. I have property that very quickly separates boys from men. Of course Randy would be fine, but too much work for “actors”. I do also hunt in an area in Colorado that had a famous hunter come on a guided hunt. Almost killed him. That’s why I hunt where I hunt. I don’t see people

Saw an Eastmans shot right here & knew the place.
Seen several try and go incognito here.
Ran into a guy named Randy and another comedian named Corey once.....funny guys. They did not name any names/places in the video and I could figure where they were,but I live around here.

A few years back, Rinella did an episode on a mountain my brother and I used to hunt a fair amount for elk. We hit it hard probably 15 - 10 years ago. He was not successful, but saw bulls in the episode, which is more than we saw some seasons . I don’t think many people knew where that was. I went down there late season two years ago with a buddy and he shot a cow and not another soul was there.

I admit I would be perturbed to run into a film crew in the woods. But nowadays I hunt chunks of the Nameless Range that are no good for glassing, and have few animals, and thus makes for poor TV, and to some other people poor hunting, which is perfect.

Something that certainly makes it easier to identify where someone is hunting, is when they are hunting burns. You can make an educated guess on how long ago the burn was, and if you know the rough chunk of a state that someone is in it really narrows it down. I’ve played that game on aerial imagery before just to see where an episode of a given hunting show was.

No Idea.
I hunt 99% public land, there is a hefty fee to pay when filming here.
I think most hunt privete with some kind of outfitter.

A few years back, Rinella did an episode on a mountain my brother and I used to hunt a fair amount for elk. We hit it hard probably 15 - 10 years ago. He was not successful, but saw bulls in the episode, which is more than we saw some seasons . I don’t think many people knew where that was. I went down there late season two years ago with a buddy and he shot a cow and not another soul was there.

I admit I would be perturbed to run into a film crew in the woods. But nowadays I hunt chunks of the Nameless Range that are no good for glassing, and have few animals, and thus makes for poor TV, and to some other people poor hunting, which is perfect.

Something that certainly makes it easier to identify where someone is hunting, is when they are hunting burns. You can make an educated guess on how long ago the burn was, and if you know the rough chunk of a state that someone is in it really narrows it down. I’ve played that game on aerial imagery before just to see where an episode of a given hunting show was.

How are burns not covered up with folks nowadays? All the YouTube hunters are always on burns. Plus it doesn't take any work to find them on Onx.

No Idea.
I hunt 99% public land, there is a hefty fee to pay when filming here.
I think most hunt privete with some kind of outfitter.
Reminds me of an outfitter I worked for in college. Jim Zumbo filmed an elk hunt with them in Idaho in the 80's. Totally different place now. in the 90's they sold the Hunting end to another guy, he didn't kill anything in 2 years and went broke.

When Randy did his hunts and series of how to hunt southeast Montana it was a knock out blow to an area that was already depleted and over hunted. It was tough to stomach how could a hunter that cared about a resource show spots on a map and road numbers to a basically general statewide rifle rut hunt. It concentrated a lot of hunters. I know his intentions were good but it finished off my favorite hunting area. I don’t hunt mule deer in my own back yard unless I’ve pre-season scouted a good one. It can have a major effect especially with easy to draw tags.

No. I'm guessing they get paid to hunt because they can better spots than me.

When Randy did his hunts and series of how to hunt southeast Montana it was a knock out blow to an area that was already depleted and over hunted. It was tough to stomach how could a hunter that cared about a resource show spots on a map and road numbers to a basically general statewide rifle rut hunt. It concentrated a lot of hunters. I know his intentions were good but it finished off my favorite hunting area. I don’t hunt mule deer in my own back yard unless I’ve pre-season scouted a good one. It can have a major effect especially with easy to draw tags.

So it's Randy's fault MFWP decided it was a good idea to run the rifle hunt for 5 weeks during the rut, to make the tags either sex and then to give out an additional 11,000 doe tags?

So it's Randy's fault MFWP decided it was a good idea to run the rifle hunt for 5 weeks during the rut, to make the tags either sex and then to give out an additional 11,000 doe tags?
No not at all but I disagreed with the message instead of saying come to Montana to hunt, it named specifics. Don’t get me wrong it was headed in a bad direction that wasn’t going to change. It did congregate hunters though. It made a difference in the amount of hunters that you saw.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back