Which 25 caliber

van franke

I have a wilson 27 inch barrel blank 1in10 twist in .257.
So what do I build, I go back and forth between 25-06 ackley and the 257 weatherby.
I havent looked for an action yet because I need to decide on cartridge first.

I've been jonesing for a Wby, so that would be my choice. Still holding out hope that Fin will jettison his M700 Roy and I can pick it up for a song. :D

I'd go the ackley route...or keep it simple, and cheap with a 25/06.

The 257 weatherby is sure interesting...but I cant justify the cost of brass, extra powder you burn, etc.

I'd go with the AI also. You'd save a ton on brass, and still have a really awesome, super flat cartridge.

Factory Weatherby ammo is expensive to be sure, but, it cannot be beat unless you are a handloader and even then, you will be hard pressed to match accuracy and velocity. I have a .340 Wby. and a .270 Wby. and always wanted a .257 Wby...I know what I would build.

No experience with a .257 Ackley but I bet it would be a barn-burner also. A local rifle builder here in CO loves a .257/.300 Win...says it beats both the Wby. and Ackley rounds.

Not necessarily looking for the fastest round or I would go to a 257 stw or a 25-300wsm . I have heard great things of the 257wby and already have a 243 ai and 6.5-06ai and love them so the 25-06ai would fit nicely in the stable. The 6.5-06ai is hell on coyotes but it weighs 12lbs. Was going to build a gun primarily for walk in areas for antelope. Recoil is my other concern since I dont want to always wear ear plugs for a brake.

If I was thinking of a 25 I'd be hard pressed not to go with just a standard 25-06.

I'd go for the Weatherby. Headstamped weatherby brass is more expensive, but it can be easily made from 264 Win/7mm Rem Mag brass. A 257 Weatherby shooting a 100gr Sirrocco II has to just about be open country perfection. I imagine that pronghorn would fall over before you pulled the trigger... ;)

I have a 257 WBY and have had multiple other quarter bores. My favorite has always been the 250 savage AI. In a lite rifle, it would be hard to beat in the 25 caliber bore. If you don't mind a slightly heavier rifle, my second favorite is the WBY flavor. Flat, fast, accurate and not much on this continent will walk away from it.

I have been thinking that a standard 25/06 would be my next project. There is so much 06 once fired brass out there a guy can get for free it makes it even more attractive

I can't imagine the price of brass really makes or breaks a "project" does it?

You doing up another Savage? I almost scored a deal on a Stevens this past weekend just to tinker with. I'm running out of fun projects in the garage and still have 4mos of pregnancy left...

It will likely be finished at 25 or 26, An inch has to be taken off for sure for tooling marks.
The action is the next decision after caliber. I will probly spend a little more and go with a remington action, love the savages but as far as value most of the time remingtons are worth the little extra for the action. Ive had a 250 ai and it wasnt a bad little round. Price of brass really isnt an issue on the 257wby I already have 100 rnds of pmc 7mm remington brass. I am leaning to the 06 ackley though, just because I should be able to find a factory 257 out there at a reasonable price.

I can't imagine the price of brass really makes or breaks a "project" does it?

You doing up another Savage? I almost scored a deal on a Stevens this past weekend just to tinker with. I'm running out of fun projects in the garage and still have 4mos of pregnancy left...

No, it doesn't break it, but it is a bonus to be able to get that much once fired for free and know you can shoot 1-2 times and toss it because there is piles of it to use. I have an old Mauser that I was thinking about using as a donor action and do a project with my kid, another reason the 25-06 was attractive as I feel it is a pretty kid friendly caliber. If i didn't have that Mauser I would definitely do another 110 action

Back