Caribou Gear

Mauser Caliber Ideas

I have 6.5x55 that is a joy to shoot, but if you have that long mauser action then you might as well use all of it.
8mm Mauser or 9.3x62 gets my vote. Keep it "Mauser".

I have a Nazi marked Mauser 98 that was sporterized at some point into .35 Whelen with a Buhmiller barrel and a fancy walnut stock. I must say it is one of my favorites. However the 9.3x62 is a classic Mauser caliber and have a rebored JC Higgins model 50 (Mauser) in that. Both are thimpers. But the ease of forming brass and bullet availability goes to the .35.

Another vote for a 7x57 mauser, I had one back in the 70’s. Not a lot of recoil and fun to shoot.

I have a Brno mauser that was my grandfathers. I started into the project as it was an unfired rifle and was going to sporterize it and use it.

Started polishing and found a line in the barrel that was visible on the outside and in the bore…. Needless to say I don’t want to shoot it as is with fear of the indication being a crack and blowing the barrel.

I have a new stock with the military barrel contour and want to rebarrel it to something.

My initial though was to go 6.5x284 but thinking about other calibers. I already have a 25-06, 30-06, 257 ackley, 280 ackley and was looking for something new and fun to reload.

I know it’s an opinion thread but thought I’d ask suggestions and see if something sparks an interest 😁
How do you like the 257 Ackley? What kind of velocities are you getting and is it worth it to go the Ackley route?

I don’t think the .35 Whelen is a bad option but i might go .338-06 or 8mm-06. Seems lots of military Mausers were rechambered for the 8mm-06 as the barrel was already the right diameter and the .30-06 brass was plentiful. Just a thought.

Put on your big boy pants. Last summer I built this 404 Jeffery on an 8mm BRNO vz.24.
20231119_114846.jpg
20231119_114717.jpg
Lilja made the barrel and Dennis Olsen put it on the action. Both are in Plains, MT. A local machinist here opened up the bolt face using Duane Wiebe's useful booklet for making these conversions. I did the rest of the work including installing a 3-position Model 70 style safety from Parkwest, 416 Remington bottom metal (trigger guard/magazine box) from Swift-Blackburn, magnum length follower from New England Custom Gun, Model 70 Safari Express iron sights from eBay, Timney trigger from eBay, semifinished stock from a GunPost vendor, scope rail from Sarco, and Warne Quick Detach rings from eBay. I also modified the action feeding ramp, rails, exctractor, and follower to cycle much longer and fatter 404 cartridges. The stock came with one recoil crossbolt and I added a second "internal" one behind the magazine box (a la Weatherby). And I floated the barrel and bedded the action.

I would advise upgrading to 375 H&H rather than 404. It's easier to find ammo and components for 375 which is also a more versatile caliber. These actions have been built into 416 Rigby (e.g. Harry Selby's rifle) but I think that's pushing the envelope ... for both shooter and the action. 375 is an excellent caliber for anything from deer to 1700 lb Cape buffalo. I used one to take two buffalo.
20210822_094314.jpg
Did I mention I've never built a big bore rifle before? It's not rocket science. Not quite.

Last edited:
I love my 9.3x62 and 9.3x57. I also have 35 Whelen 8mm-06. My grandfather was a gunsmith back in 60s 70s I have a lot of 03s Mausers Enfields chambered in a lot. My favorite is 308 Norma mag

I don’t think the .35 Whelen is a bad option but i might go .338-06 or 8mm-06. Seems lots of military Mausers were rechambered for the 8mm-06 as the barrel was already the right diameter and the .30-06 brass was plentiful. Just a thought.
I reload the 8mm-06 and the 180gr and 200gr loads are devastating

A 6mm-06 would be a fun one too. Pretty much like a 240 Weatherby only without a belt. Be simple to neck down 25-06 brass.
It is very simple and it is a great shooter. I started to see more of it since rise if the Creedmore. My uncle shot the 6.5-06 for years in competition

I have a .338-06 and wish they made a good 200gr option. I use both the 185gr and 210gr Barnes TTSX
I have a weatherby in 338-06 it's a good round. The issue I run into is that they run so close together and sometimes one isn't really better then the other.

Kind of depends on what you want/need. keeping it in the x57 family will be less work and likely feed better.

458x 57 a brush thumper
11x 57 a 44 cal-ish - something like a 444 in a bolt gun
10x57 never heard of this one but hey

**The above might not feed well out of the mag

9.3x57 a classic European heavy hitter
8x57 gets little love in the US but can do anything the 308 or -06 can do
7x57 another classic
6.5x57 little known in the US- can do as much or more than the CM
6x57 (AKA 6mm Remington) maybe with a fast twist barrel if you are thinking more in the big game realm
5.56x57 never heard of this one but I suspect someone has done it, with a fast twist barrel one should be able to get some cruise missiles to step along nicely

So many options so little time

338-06. or 7x57,, or a 416 taylor if you want a magnum

i did 30 or so 376 steyer's on 98 mausers for guys 20 years ago, still got one in the back of the safe,,,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back