Mauser Caliber Ideas

Four22

I have a Brno mauser that was my grandfathers. I started into the project as it was an unfired rifle and was going to sporterize it and use it.

Started polishing and found a line in the barrel that was visible on the outside and in the bore…. Needless to say I don’t want to shoot it as is with fear of the indication being a crack and blowing the barrel.

I have a new stock with the military barrel contour and want to rebarrel it to something.

My initial though was to go 6.5x284 but thinking about other calibers. I already have a 25-06, 30-06, 257 ackley, 280 ackley and was looking for something new and fun to reload.

I know it’s an opinion thread but thought I’d ask suggestions and see if something sparks an interest 😁

Either 7mm or 8mm mauser should both be great rounds to reload for. Why corrupt it? I have two 8mms (one brno and another 700 classic). I plan to use the cartridge for an elk someday. If you do proceed, 35 whelen would be cool, or maybe could you do something really different, I don’t know what could work with it, with magazine, etc but something straight wall? 444 Marlin? 450 Marlin? That would be a bad-ass bolt gun if it could work.

Last edited:
270, 6.5-06, or 35 whelen - you can use all the existing brass.

35 whelen especially - a crf with a dangerous game cal just seems right.

I'm all about the 7X57 AI also.
Once you try it you'll never go back.
Get it in a 1x7 twist and use the LOOOOG bullets.
The 8mm X57 has very few bullets to from, 7MM has old school, and all the NEW bullets.

I think it would be neat to keep it within its roots with a 7.92×57mm or 9.3x62mm or any of the mauser cartridges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back