Caribou Gear Tarp

A new build followed me home

I still have a Rem 700 LH rifle/action from 1975 and that's the kind of safety that came with it. Not sure when it got changed. You could get a Shilen trigger sans safety and mount the factory safety on it. I suppose a gunsmith could mill the appropriate groove into a current action and still use the "old" trigger. Properly tuned they make a pretty decent trigger.
Mine doesn't lock the bolt, I'm thinking it must be aftermarket. It's a really good trigger, very similar to my Tikka trigger. I'll take it apart this weekend and see what's in there.

I put an order in with Pacnor for a barrel today, went with a 6mm AI, 8 twist 5r rifling in a 24 inch length. Ended up going prefit remage to save a little money. It will give me a little more flexibility to build this thing in increments as well. If I end up hating it for some reason I figured a remage barrel and dies would be easier to sell too. The barrel nut doesn't bother me so I figured what the hell.

I use the PPU brass for what i can find it for.
7X57 Mauser for my daughters custom build and my 257 Roberts & 257 Roberts AI.
7mm-08 for my 7mm-08AI.
7mm Rem Mag.

With proper case prep, you can easily achieve ES/SD numbers that are on par with Lapua, ADG, Alpha & Peterson brass for a fraction of the cost.

I'm getting ES-6, SD-2 in my 7mm-08AI.

I've had some that have been reloaded 30 times.
My 7mm Rem Mag likes it towards the max loads. Doesn't matter whos drass i use, i get 5-6 reloads and the primer pockets start getting loose.
So I found a guy online selling 150 PPU once shot fire formed brass, 6mm AI Redding custom comp dies, and 6mm Rem RCBS dies.
Theoretically they should work fine if I run them through the FL sizer, but I'm nervous they may not chamber properly. We ran into that with my dad's 257 AI rifle, but turned out his chamber was off a little and after the smith tuned it up, all was good.
So, any thoughts on using brass fire formed in another rifle?

So I found a guy online selling 150 PPU once shot fire formed brass, 6mm AI Redding custom comp dies, and 6mm Rem RCBS dies.
Theoretically they should work fine if I run them through the FL sizer, but I'm nervous they may not chamber properly. We ran into that with my dad's 257 AI rifle, but turned out his chamber was off a little and after the smith tuned it up, all was good.
So, any thoughts on using brass fire formed in another rifle?
As long as your rifle is headspaced correctly you shouldn't have an issue after full length sizing.
Make sure you use ai gages when you're setting headspace. 4drentals should have them if you don't want to buy a set.

I put an order in with Pacnor for a barrel today, went with a 6mm AI, 8 twist 5r rifling in a 24 inch length. Ended up going prefit remage to save a little money. It will give me a little more flexibility to build this thing in increments as well. If I end up hating it for some reason I figured a remage barrel and dies would be easier to sell too. The barrel nut doesn't bother me so I figured what the hell.
Well this got exciting fast! Cool! Can’t wait to see this project and loading goes for this.

As long as your rifle is headspaced correctly you shouldn't have an issue after full length sizing.
Make sure you use ai gages when you're setting headspace. 4drentals should have them if you don't want to buy a set.
I have several AI rifles, and have yet to see a set of AI gages.
Headspace set with the no go gage.
This holds a standard case tight at the neck/shoulder junction.
No need to seat bullets long, as it only raises chamber pressure.

I think the barrel nut is a good decision!

You can check with @p_ham, but if i remember correctly, going from a standard chamber to AI, you need to set the barrel back 0.040".
p-ham could do this easily as he has a lathe.
I can't get one into my basement. Lol

I don't buy other peoples "once fired" cases.
Been bit with doing that for 7mm Rem Mag.
Pockets wouldn't hold a primer.
And for the AI case, "once fired" would me they shot it only to form it.
If you fire form a bunch of cases, why sell them?

Last edited:
I see that you already decided on a 6mm AI but I bet you would still be able to change your order with Pac-Nor to a fast twist 240 Weatherby. Might as well take advantage of that long action. Graf & Sons even has ammo loaded with 72 gr Hammers in stock.

I see that you already decided on a 6mm AI but I bet you would still be able to change your order with Pac-Nor to a fast twist 240 Weatherby. Might as well take advantage of that long action. Graf & Sons even has ammo loaded with 72 gr Hammers in stock.
Oh, i've been tempted by that same thought!
The wood stocked rifle on the right in the rack.

Attachments

• 20220909_105718.jpg
    20220909_105718.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220909_105723.jpg
    20220909_105723.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Oh, i've been tempted by that same thought!
The wood stocked rifle on the right in the rack.
I am envious of you being in Hendershots. I took a detour off I-68 once to check them out, only to find that they are closed on Wednesdays.

You can check with @p_ham, but if i remember correctly, going from a standard chamber to AI, you need to set the barrel back 0.040".

I should've clarified, the NOGO for ai is the go for the standard chamber.

Well this got exciting fast! Cool! Can’t wait to see this project and loading goes for this.
I have been building this gun in my dreams for about 10 years, the time finally presented itself. It was going to be a 243 AI before I found this long action.

They were selling the dies as well, so I'm assuming they used up a barrel and switched calibers or sold the gun?

I've been down the weatherby road before, I'll stick with the 6AI. I was surprised the 240 bee ammo was "only" 95 bucks a box, it hasn't went up as bad as other brands. My first boomer was a 340 weatherby I had 10 years ago. Premium bullet ammo was 120 bucks a box back then. That's when I started reloading....

I've been down the weatherby road before, I'll stick with the 6AI. I was surprised the 240 bee ammo was "only" 95 bucks a box, it hasn't went up as bad as other brands. My first boomer was a 340 weatherby I had 10 years ago. Premium bullet ammo was 120 bucks a box back then. That's when I started reloading....
Yep, the initial cost for brass is pricey.

Yep, the initial cost for brass is pricey.
Not the same caliber, but I was at sportsman's the other day picking through what little reloading stuff they had and noticed a box of 20 30-378 weatherby brass. It was over a hundred bucks for 20 brass! The 375 weatherby next to it were 120 bucks for 20 brass. I had to double take to make sure I saw it correctly.

Thought I would give the group an update on this project. I installed the barrel last week. Shout out to @p_ham for the 4d rental recommendation on gauges. I fit the stock for the barrel nut and bedded the recoil lug. I'm going to shoot it as is this year, then after hunting season it will go in for cerakote, maybe get blueprinted while I'm at it. I've got a bunch of test ammo loaded. Once I've got some fireformed brass, I've got some Barnes 95 gr lrx to try for hunting bullets. I just need a nice day, we're getting close up here.

Attachments

• PXL_20230318_232651322.jpg
    PXL_20230318_232651322.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Thought I would give the group an update on this project. I installed the barrel last week. Shout out to @p_ham for the 4d rental recommendation on gauges. I fit the stock for the barrel nut and bedded the recoil lug. I'm going to shoot it as is this year, then after hunting season it will go in for cerakote, maybe get blueprinted while I'm at it. I've got a bunch of test ammo loaded. Once I've got some fireformed brass, I've got some Barnes 95 gr lrx to try for hunting bullets. I just need a nice day, we're getting close up here.
Let’s see that sucker shoot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back