Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A new build followed me home

MT_Chad

Hey guys, so a new project followed me home from one of the local gun shops yesterday, the price was too good to pass up. It's a left handed Rem 700 in 270 Win, based on the date code it is either a 75 or 2005, I'm going with 75 since it had iron sights on it at one time. It is in a B&C carbelite (I think) stock and has a Leupold Vari X-iii 3.5-10x40 on it.
The trigger is very good, I need to pull it apart and see if it is the original or if it is an aftermarket.

Some background to this build. My oldest daughter is 10 and will be able to hunt next year. My wife isn't convinced she is going to be able to pull the trigger on a deer, so she doesn't want me to buy any guns specifically for the girls yet. My plan is to get them started on this gun to see if they like it, if they do I will buy them their own nice rifles. If they don't like big game hunting, this will be my deer and smaller rifle to fill the gap between my 7mag and 223.

On to the build! I already found and ordered a BDL wood stock for it and will cut it down to the appropriate length for them to use, so I have the stock planned out.
The barrel and cartridge are another story though and this is where I have some questions for the hunt talk crowd.
As stated, the rifle is currently a 270, so a long action. I want to bring this down to either a 6mm or 257 for low recoil shooting with the girls, I also really like the 6mm as a deer and antelope bullet. I'm weighing the pros/cons of these cartridges currently.

25-06 - Love the round, always wanted one. 257 bullet selection sucks outside hunting bullets, especially light varmint bullets for the girls to learn on.
257 Ackley - My dad has one, so I already have the dies and am quite familiar with it. Cool round, more efficient than the 25-06, less trimming cases. Bullet (same as above) and brass selection sucks. I have had a hard time finding Roberts brass for the old man.
6mm Remington - Brass selection sucks and I would need dies, but that is minor. I have tons of 6mm bullets so I'm good there and the selection of 6mm bullets is way better than 257. Since I have a long action, I have plenty of room for the 6mm Rem.
243 Win - I love the 243 Win, always owned one since I was 12, until today when the Model 70 went down the road. I have everything to reload the 243, lots of brass and bullets. Only downside, it looks absurdly small sitting in that long action.

Here's a pic of the rifle.PXL_20221229_152526293.jpg

The easy route is probably snagging a 25-06 takeoff barrel and screwing it on. Check headspace and start shooting. Stamping probably won’t line up but that’s no biggie.

What is the 223 rifle you own? Why not start them on that? Plenty of good 22cal bullets that will work well on deer.

The easy route is probably snagging a 25-06 takeoff barrel and screwing it on. Check headspace and start shooting. Stamping probably won’t line up but that’s no biggie.

What is the 223 rifle you own? Why not start them on that? Plenty of good 22cal bullets that will work well on deer.
I could do a takeoff, but I have the funds in this project to speed the twist up a little for bigger bullets.
The 223 is a 12 lb savage model 12. It will be their first intro to center-fire rifles.

Then go .243. I found out by accident what I am about to reccomend. The 95 grain VLD is an absolute killer in a .243 Winchester. mtmuley
I have some 71 gr shock hammers sitting on the bench I was planning on using for the girls in the 243. If I get a barrel I'll go 8 twist and shoot the 95 gr lrx or a similar hammer for me.

I guess first off, if your kinda sorta planning planning on this build for your daughter would be to ask.
Is she left handed?? :unsure:

My vote would be the venerable 257 Roberts.
No real need to AI it, but you can if you want.
Shoots everything from 75gr varmint bullets to 120gr bullets suitable for elk sized game within reasonable distances with the 25 caliber standard 1:10 twist.

Plus for this cartridge is if she's recoil shy like my daughter, she'll easily handle the recoil. Just don't go ultra lightweight on the build.

I've witnessed a guy shoot a 50 (5X) at 1,000 yards (he only brought 6 rounds for that rifle. 1st was a sighter) with a Ruger 77MKII (factory barrel) in 257 Roberts with 75gr Sierra HP Varminter bullets.

Cases are easily made from 7X57 Mauser. I use PPU Mauser cases for mine and my AI.

And if she wants to go to 7mm for some reason (PA has minimum bullet diameter for elk) you can simply rebarrel to 7X57Mauser.
Load up 120gr Ballistic Tip for a light recoiling deer/antelope round.

Back