MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mauser Caliber Ideas

Put on your big boy pants. Last summer I built this 404 Jeffery on an 8mm BRNO vz.24.
View attachment 312045
View attachment 312046
Lilja made the barrel and Dennis Olsen put it on the action. Both are in Plains, MT. A local machinist here opened up the bolt face using Duane Wiebe's useful booklet for making these conversions. I did the rest of the work including installing a 3-position Model 70 style safety from Parkwest, 416 Remington bottom metal (trigger guard/magazine box) from Swift-Blackburn, magnum length follower from New England Custom Gun, Model 70 Safari Express iron sights from eBay, Timney trigger from eBay, semifinished stock from a GunPost vendor, scope rail from Sarco, and Warne Quick Detach rings from eBay. I also modified the action feeding ramp, rails, exctractor, and follower to cycle much longer and fatter 404 cartridges. The stock came with one recoil crossbolt and I added a second "internal" one behind the magazine box (a la Weatherby). And I floated the barrel and bedded the action.

I would advise upgrading to 375 H&H rather than 404. It's easier to find ammo and components for 375 which is also a more versatile caliber. These actions have been built into 416 Rigby (e.g. Harry Selby's rifle) but I think that's pushing the envelope ... for both shooter and the action. 375 is an excellent caliber for anything from deer to 1700 lb Cape buffalo. I used one to take two buffalo.
View attachment 312047
Did I mention I've never built a big bore rifle before? It's not rocket science. Not quite.
Just finished upgrading my 404 Jeffery project with a used commercial stock I bought on line, a new 1-4x 30mm scope, and lower one-piece base. To beef up the stock for 404's heavy recoil I added croosbolts and a steel reinforcement rod through the wrist. The military action and Timney trigger had to be modified to fit the slimmer commercial stock. Then I rebedded the action and refinished the stock using Linspeed oil. Turned out well.
20240420_112851.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back