Which factory 280AI rifle?

We dont have very big hills. North Arkansas is Ozark Mountains. Thats where i live. South Arkansas is paper company. Clear cut pine thickets. I work at a sand mine. Company ownes 5000 + acres. There are 18 or 20 guys that hunt it. Cost us 20.00 each a yr. Since joining it. Only thing i have done is trapped it. Done little a turkey hunting i live less 10 minutes from Ozark National Forest. In there its strait up and down. U mite get a 70 or 80 yd shot. That would be in a old logging road. Last few yrs. I have been carrying my muzzle loader. During rifle season. I just like hunting with a muzzle loader. I am planning on going on a antelope hunt. Next yr hopefully. I had a kimber 84L hunter 280AI. I fount a used Kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex 6x18x44mm on it. 1499.00 . I like the weatherby 307 280AI. Not a fan of the magazine sticking out like it does. Does the lite 280AI kick much? With a muzzle brake on it? My wife mite use it.

We dont have very big hills. North Arkansas is Ozark Mountains. Thats where i live. South Arkansas is paper company. Clear cut pine thickets. I work at a sand mine. Company ownes 5000 + acres. There are 18 or 20 guys that hunt it. Cost us 20.00 each a yr. Since joining it. Only thing i have done is trapped it. Done little a turkey hunting i live less 10 minutes from Ozark National Forest. In there its strait up and down. U mite get a 70 or 80 yd shot. That would be in a old logging road. Last few yrs. I have been carrying my muzzle loader. During rifle season. I just like hunting with a muzzle loader. I am planning on going on a antelope hunt. Next yr hopefully. I had a kimber 84L hunter 280AI. I fount a used Kimber 84L mountain ascent 280AI. Has a vortex 6x18x44mm on it. 1499.00 . I like the weatherby 307 280AI. Not a fan of the magazine sticking out like it does. Does the lite 280AI kick much? With a muzzle brake on it? My wife mite use it.
For your hunting/shooting distance of 400 yards max, why not get a 7mm-08?

Not trying to talk you out of a new rifle, by any means!

Yes, lightweight rifles kick!
And yes, the muzzle brake does considerably reduce the recoil.

Much of what I'm reading on this thread about the Mark V Hunter, isn't what I thought I knew about it.
The Hunters I've looked at have been in the 280AI.
They all have a 60° bolt lift.
Spiral fluted bolt.
Fluted barrel with muzzle brake.
Trigger Tech trigger, which you'll be hard pressed to find a better trigger out there!!

All in all, it's a really good gun, with an excellent trigger out of the box.

The bad...

Long barrel.
For you, in southern Arkansas, moving through the woods is going to be a PITA with a long barrel! ( I have 2 Mark V 's, trust me I know!)

While the stock is pretty rigid, it has a plastic hollow sound if you bump it or rub against something, a branch for instance.

For what you described as your shooting circumstances, i still really think a Savage Axis II in 7mm-08 would serve you and your wife better.
22" barrel travels much better through thick woods.
Accuracy is there.
Pop a Boyds AT-One thumbhole stock on it. Gives more rigidity in the forestock, and adjustment for your wife to shoot.

All in, the rifle and stock for under $800. Gives you more money for better glass, and to spend on the trip out west.

I should add, the 7mm-08 can and has killed elk at 400 yards.

Match it with a good bullet in the 140gr weight class and no problems. I'd look at the Partition, Accubond, and Ballistic Tip.

For the Mrs. a 120gr Ballistic Tip would reduce recoil and people have taken elk with it.

My wife shoots a 280 rem with 140 gr berger vld. It has a big brake on it. I have a 7mm mag and a 300 wby mag. I have always wanted a 280AI. I have killed a bunch of deer with that 280 rem. Using 120 gr v max and nosler 120 gr bt. I go down some hunt in Eastern Arkansas. Thats all farm land. And South Arkansas clear cuts. So u can shoot a long way. Behind my house is big highline right away. U can see alot farther than i want too shoot. Last few yr in the national forest. They have came through there cut big trees down and left them. That one place u could shoot 800 yds. One hill big valley. Then goes up to another hill. I didnt think the deer would hang out. But i seen some doe's and 2 bears. I never hunted it. Places i been hunting i couldnt shoot far. My 7mm and 300 both have 26 inch barrels. Plus a muzzle brake. I am looking at the xbolt the hardest. I live about 20 miles from Arkansas/Missouri state line.

Last edited:
IMG_6736.jpeg

I put a suppressor on mine - it now kicks lightly. I never noticed the kick in the field but it was a solid punch off the bunch.

My 280 Ackley is 26", albeit a Alamo Precision with a Proof Sendero barrel. I think you made a great choice and if you decide that you really want the Speed version, you won't have any issues selling the Speed LR.

I personally think you'll appreciate the extra 2" of barrel velocity wise and the adjustable comb will make optics choices easier. I also doubt you'll notice the extra 6oz either. You can save some weight by removing the adjustable comb if you decide you don't like it or need it. IMG_3353.jpegIMG_3354.jpeg

Yes sir your right. On the ad i bought it. It said Speed model. Click on the page to look at it. Half way down the inside page. It had Speed Hell Canyon LR. I was wanting a 26 inch barrel. But that was the only one i could find. And all that time. I thought it was a Speed. I spent hrs online looking. I watch it for 3 days hoping nobody would buy it. Trying to make my mind up. Right before i bought it. A used Speed Hell Canyon 280AI showed up on GunBroker. 1499.00 plus tax shipping to. Then someone listed a new Speed Hell Canyon model. Last night some time. Started out 900.00 . Its went up to 1025.00. Still has 5+ days left.

My understanding is that the faster twist stabilises the longer bullets, it also improves the killing power of the lighter projectiles.
There are a lot of guys here in nz going back to the little 223 with faster twist and 70/80 gr projectiles killing red deer up to bull tahr.

I should add, the 7mm-08 can and has killed elk at 400 yards.

Match it with a good bullet in the 140gr weight class and no problems. I'd look at the Partition, Accubond, and Ballistic Tip.

For the Mrs. a 120gr Ballistic Tip would reduce recoil and people have taken elk with it.

I'm not sure what happened but have you killed elk at 400yds?
Not yet. Hopefully this year.

But tell me where i'm wrong?
The person that runs THIS forum has. There's videos of him doing so.

There are also videos of a woman killing an elk at over 600 yards with a 243 Win.

I ordered the new trigger spring today. Planning on putting it in. I am setting mine up to shoot out to 500 to 600 yds on steel.. Going to give the Hornady 180 gr eld m .

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back