Caribou Gear

Winchester M70 long action blank canvas... ideas on what to build.

OleRedbeard

Well... I find myself in a odd predicament. I have a action that is in need of a new barrel.
seeing that I have a couple 270s, a 25-06, 2 30-06s.. and a 35 Whelen as far as long action calibers go... I wanted to possibly build a 280AI or maybe another 270 with a 25 inch barrel and a 1-8 inch twist..
anybody have any suggestions on another caliber?

7mm Rem Mag settles nicely with what you already have. It has become my favorite cartridge over the past couple of years. Recoil is equal to '06 with higher velocities, easy to load or find ammo for if you don't load. I've loaded 150, 160, and 175gr all with excellent accuracy using a variety of powders in a Tikka T3x Lite. My current load is 150gr Barnes TTSX at 3110fps. It did a great job on WT deer this year and looking forward to putting on mulies, pronghorn, and elk in WY come October.

Your missing a good varmint cal. Prairie dogs love a .22, By the way I have a new Krieger .224 in a 10 twist that would work great.

Go big or stay at home. 375 H&H or 404 Jeffery. During the summer I built a 404 with Lidja barrel on a standard length WWII era 98 Mauser. Could have made it 375 but I wanted the historic factor (in 1905 it was the first rimless big bore cartridge fitted into a bolt action). Opening the bolt face isn't rocket science. I had a local machinist do it. Bought the bottom metal aftermarket and did the feeding modifications myself. That was trickier but not as difficult as I was led to believe. A fun project. Both cartridges perform well and nearly the same. 375 is easier to find ammo and components.

When you're done, you'll be ready for Africa. I recently saw a great deal for five plains game animals at less than $4K, including gemsbuck (oryx). Lots of guys hunt plains game with those calibers and certainly enough gun to shoot a buffalo. Or you can use the thumper to hunt deer. With the right bullet it's big hole in, big hole out, and no bloodshot. Might be limited to 200 yards or less but that's fine. That's usually where I shoot all my animals anyway.
20231119_114655.jpg20231119_114846.jpg

Go big or stay at home. 375 H&H or 404 Jeffery. During the summer I built a 404 with Lidja barrel on a standard length WWII era 98 Mauser. Could have made it 375 but I wanted the historic factor (in 1905 it was the first rimless big bore cartridge fitted into a bolt action). Opening the bolt face isn't rocket science. I had a local machinist do it. Bought the bottom metal aftermarket and did the feeding modifications myself. That was trickier but not as difficult as I was led to believe. A fun project. Both cartridges perform well and nearly the same. 375 is easier to find ammo and components.

When you're done, you'll be ready for Africa. I recently saw a great deal for five plains game animals at less than $4K, including gemsbuck (oryx). Lots of guys hunt plains game with those calibers and certainly enough gun to shoot a buffalo. Or you can use the thumper to hunt deer. With the right bullet it's big hole in, big hole out, and no bloodshot. Might be limited to 200 yards or less but that's fine. That's usually where I shoot all my animals anyway.
View attachment 308886View attachment 308887
what wood is the forearm endcap made of? is it spalted?

classic caliber - hell yes - hooded front sight - a rifle of men

what wood is the forearm endcap made of? is it spalted?

classic caliber - hell yes - hooded front sight - a rifle of men
It's zebrawood. Not spalted. The local exotic wood place only had one piece of rosewood and it was not very good. No ebony. So I went with something different. Zebrawood is a hardwood but surprisingly easy to work with. Not as dense as the other two but about the same as walnut. It was my first attempt at making a fore end tip. I made a jig and did it on my Shopsmith using it as horizontal drill press.

The hooded front sight is to protect the fiber optic blade. Iron sights are from a 1990s Win Model 70 Safari Express. Bought off eBay. The old Weaver 3x scope was retired from my Springfield a few years back. Just ordered a 1-4x to replace it. Rings are Quick Detach Warne low. Most African thumper guns MUST have barrel ring sling swivel and three-leaf "express" sights. Both are useless features in my opinion. My gun is also not checkered. I wouldn't say checkering is useless, but definitely not necessary.

One assessory I added and wouldn't be without is the 3-position Model 70 style safety. The Mauser military flag safety is also 3-position but doesn't work with a scope. Also not very expedient to disengage in the field.

280AI : Have one I had bult on a Model 70 Classic Sporter in 270. Love that rifle.

6mm-06 or 6.5-06 either one of those would be a lot of fun. Easy and simple to find 25-06 brass to neck down or up.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back