Which 25 caliber

Sounds like a good project! It'd be fun for your kid to help you build a rifle, then whack something with it!! Heck, I'd be excited to do that.

Randy, If you want to go to a 27" barrel, take a look at the 25 Durham Magnum. I have one of those also. It's too heavy for an old man to carry, but there is much that shoots flatter or faster with heavy quarter bore bullets.

I just noticed that Cabela's had Norma 257 Wby brass for sale for $80/50. Not too bad a price.

You can buy Loaded ammo for a 25-06 for the same price or cheaper though.
Not arguing, just saying its definitely something you've gotta consider...

Do any of you fireform ackley brass with the cream of wheat method. Im due for some more 6.5-06 and thought I might try it.

I've done that and it works to some degree. the downside of that process is what you use to seal the end of the case to keep the oatmeal or cream of wheat in the case. There is a lot of barrel cleaning when you are done. I've used candle wax and soap (be sure to use soap like Ivory and not some synthetic like Dial or Dove). My conclusion is that it's better to fireform the brass using a regular load and dialing in the rifle at the same time. 6.5-06 is one of the cases involved in the experiment by the way and it is still my favorite round..

25-06ackley it is. I just dropped off the barrel and a savage 112 25-06. Going to have the barrel chambered, crowned and threaded for a savage switch barrel and the 25-06 reamed out to ackley. Decided I would just buy the reamer so I will have one for future use. should have them back in few weeks.

Well boys the gunsmith is done, now Im just waiting on dies and for the wind to quit blowing long enough to shoot some rounds.

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

Back