Not so much worried about hurt feelings as propaganda for people who want to make it illegal.
Similar to driving around town with a bloody, dead deer on the hood of your car or posting videos of a gut shot animal suffering from a hunter's poor shot. It simply does not help the cause you may support.
Optics matter, whether you like it or not. Taunting those that disagree with you may feel good, but usually does not garner support on a divided issue.
I'll agree with about half of that. I don't watch a lot of videos but I've not seen many of those type that other hunters didn't jump all over them about. Unless it was Ted Nugent in the video.

I have no problem with hunters proud of a trophy animal hauling it home or where ever they need to, in any manner they feel like. Same for gun owners behaving in a safe manner. I don't believe the gunphobes are going to be swayed by any thing we do or don't and certainly you are not going to win an argument with Moms demand action because they DIDN'T see a man with a gun at the doughnut shop today or we would have all this nonsense wrapped up by now.

You have the rights you are willing to defend beyond what those who would deprive you of them are willing to go to take them. You must be willing to defend them and USE them your self or you don't have them. Don't give one inch, they've already taken a mile.

I don't believe the gunphobes are going to be swayed by any thing we do or don't and certainly you are not going to win an argument with Moms demand action because they DIDN'T see a man with a gun at the doughnut shop today or we would have all this nonsense wrapped up by now.
I'm not trying to sway the gun phobes, just like they do not sway me. It is the majority of people who are in the middle/ undecided on the issue that can be swayed. They are the important ones.

People don't like seeing guns for lots of reasons. My mother in law found her husband after he committed suicide with a gun. Up until a few years ago she didn't care if you owned guns. She didn't want to see them. People strapping ARs to their chest and walking around has made her want them banned. In her mind if you don't know how to be polite about it, you shouldn't be able to do it. There are a lot of people with past trauma that vote.

Carrying guns is legal and so is flag burning. There's a lot of people who don't like seeing either when they shop for groceries and the fastest way to turn them against it is doing it inappropriately.

When my kids asked about open carry I suggested the same rules as loud farting. Church, no. Riding your dirt bike, yes. In the mall, no. Camping, yes. Pumping gas, sure! In a job interview, no... Etc. Not a hard and fast rule but a good guideline.

People don't like seeing guns for lots of reasons. My mother in law found her husband after he committed suicide with a gun. Up until a few years ago she didn't care if you owned guns. She didn't want to see them. People strapping ARs to their chest and walking around has made her want them banned. In her mind if you don't know how to be polite about it, you shouldn't be able to do it. There are a lot of people with past trauma that vote.

Carrying guns is legal and so is flag burning. There's a lot of people who don't like seeing either when they shop for groceries and the fastest way to turn them against it is doing it inappropriately.

When my kids asked about open carry I suggested the same rules as loud farting. Church, no. Riding your dirt bike, yes. In the mall, no. Camping, yes. Pumping gas, sure! In a job interview, no... Etc. Not a hard and fast rule but a good guideline.
I'm remembering that. Probably the best example of open carry rules I've ever seen.

Just like there are multiple types of concealed carriers, there are multiple types of open carriers. Some do more harm than good, some go relatively unnoticed.

OC is legal here and actually legal at 18 so after I turned 18 and before I could get a concealed permit at 21 I open carried. Plenty of oblivious people out there. I was also generally dressed business casual so I'm sure that helped not to call attention to myself. A handful of times people stopped me to ask if I was a police officer and when I explained what the deal was only once did someone say it bothered them to know it was legal.

I don't OC anymore (of course, I dont CC very often either). I do give some side eye when I see Billy-Bob carrying his hog leg revolver in a nylon holster strapped to a single belt loop. Or the guy in Walmart the other day with a non-retention style holster carrying a 1911 that didn't even notice me within arms reach of his gun passing behind him.

I think it really depends on where you are as to whether OC is doing anything negative for gun rights or not. And of course the way you carry yourself matters too.

Oh. And don't let Texas bully you regarding OC. It took them forever to even make it legal for handguns while it had been legal in most of the South forever.

Open carry here is allowed here and it happens just enough to make it to where when I see someone with a pistol on their side in public I don't think anything of it.

The only time I open carry is if I just happen to have the pistol on my side anyway, like running in the grocery store or gas station on the way home from the woods or whatever. I have never gotten a comment or as much as a strange look that I can remember off the top of my head.

I don't don't really get why people would be uncomfortable around someone open carrying, but I grew up with a firearm in my hand and in the hands of everyone around me and I realize that a lot of people didn't.

Why firearm safety is not taught in high school is mind boggling to me.

Anyway, walk around openly strapped or don't, if Texas is anything like Louisiana no one cares.

Because people are idiots and I dont want to be caught in their crossfire.

Because when I watch the dip shit wander around Winco with a level one retention holster, and he has absolutely no $*)Q!#@$ clue of what’s going on around him, that makes me a little nervous
Fair point.

I never saw the need for one myself. I want my weapon secured and that don’t cut it. I don’t recall seeing anyone open carrying in a level one holster around here.

Which brings me to my other point about firearms safety training availability in school.

Because people are idiots and I dont want to be caught in their crossfire.
But you are fine with not knowing if the idiot has a weapon or not via concealed carry?

I know a couple of concealed carry instructors very well. Besides passing the background check the requirements to get a permit for concealed carry aren’t particularly stringent and more and more States are going to permit less concealed.

I’d rather be able to plainly see the idiots gun myself.

There is no place appropriate for burning a US flag. Chinese flags, ok.

There is no place appropriate for burning a US flag. Chinese flags, ok

My family that's served in pretty much every capacity of civil service would disagree. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, police, and fire all feel that just because we don't like you burning a flag doesn't mean we didn't stand up for your right to do it occasionally.

My family that's served in pretty much every capacity of civil service would disagree. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, police, and fire all feel that just because we don't like you burning a flag doesn't mean we didn't stand up for your right to do it occasionally.
Yup this right here.

I am for freedom.

The type of freedom where the POC gay trans couple down the road gets married in the town square while open carrying silenced and fully auto AR’s and then departs on their honeymoon while being tossed dime bags of legal weed.

I might not personally care for much if it but I will damn sure support their right to do it.

People in general are real quick to support your right to do the shit they agree with and want to take your right to do the shit they don’t.

People are hypocrites as a general rule. Myself included.

Common sense, yes. Making laws or rules, no.
My grandfather joined the Navy at 16. Fought in the pacific. Did some, by his own words, "horrible shit."

Throughout my short time with him, he died quite a while ago, whenever we'd run into people like you, he'd instantly point out that he fought the Japanese at Tarawa and Iwo Jima so people like you had the right to be stupid. He believed that in his very core.

It would be disingenuous of me to think any differently.

But you are fine with not knowing if the idiot has a weapon or not via concealed carry?

I know a couple of concealed carry instructors very well. Besides passing the background check the requirements to get a permit for concealed carry aren’t particularly stringent and more and more States are going to permit less concealed.

I’d rather be able to plainly see the idiots gun myself.
I would like everyone to have to show some level of skill and judgement before getting a ccw permit but I cant change the way things are. I think open carry is ridiculous 98% of the time by citizens in civilized places like the gas station or grocery store or church or whatever. That means I figure the open carry nuts either couldn't get a ccw permit or they are idiots.

And the ccw people? Well I have no idea, so not really something I can worry about.

I do wonder what they are afraid of because I've managed 40 years of never feeling like I needed a gun to defend myself from another human.

Please forgive me since I grew up in a "No Open Carry" State. I did however spend time in Idaho where while working in the backcountry was instructed to carry whenever I was out with stock. The next year in Oregon, I was asked to keep the pistol in my saddlebags so as not to intimidate the guests.

My question is

"Is there an expectation from the gun owning community in Open Carry states that if you have a handgun, you will wear it on your person?"

Where I am now it would be considered a vulgar display of firepower in town or on the ranch around the buildings or a gathering of people. I even got chewed out for bringing a rifle not in a case into a gun store...

9x2qiufylk131.jpg

So I'm curious...If I go to Texas am I going to be judged for my choice or lack of of firearm accessories to my outfit? Ben Lamb mentioned BBQ guns...
Dang, stalker. There I was just going to the store - gotta make a show of force these days at the supermarket as statistics show 88% of homicides happen to unexpecting Walmart shoppers (I'm about 73% sure I heard that somewhere). And somebody snaps a picture of me from behind. See what I mean? Good thing it was a camera and not a .44 magnum, cause it would've been on like Donkey Kong.

Pew, pew, pew.

Dang, stalker. There I was just going to the store - gotta make a show of force these days at the supermarket as statistics show 88% of homicides happen to unexpecting Walmart shoppers (I'm about 73% sure I heard that somewhere). And somebody snaps a picture of me from behind. See what I mean? Good thing it was a camera and not a .44 magnum, cause it would've been on like Donkey Kong.

Pew, pew, pew.

Sir,

This is a Chipotes.

Back