New pistol purchase

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

I recently got the green light from the boss to purchase a new pistol. The primary use for this pistol is:
  1. Carry pistol when traveling, camping, etc.
  2. Small enough to take mountain biking, etc.
  3. Not so small it’s difficult for my wife to shoot
I pretty much narrowed it down to a few different options. I wanted it to be easy to carry in different states without worrying about magazine restrictions, so 10 round capacity was the most I could really look at and not run into difficulties.

I chose 9mm for a chambering.

Guns I looked at and shot:

Sig P365: Great little gun. I really liked it, and if this pistol’s sole purpose was a pocket/concealed gun I think the Sig is very hard to beat. It’s a nice trigger. The little gun is snappy in a 9mm, which is to be expected. Very nice…

Glock 43: Again, very nice gun. It to is very snappy in 9mm. It’s a little larger than the P365, which wasn’t a concern because of how I intended to use it.

Glock 43X: Ditto the above. The extra magazine capacity is nice, and it’s more comfortable to hold and shoot because of that BUT you also make it a little harder to conceal if that’s your jam.

Glock 48: This was the nicest gun to shoot because of the extra slide length and a little more weight. What a great little pistol. This ended up being a strong contender for top spot.

Price wise things were about a wash. I knew if I purchased a Glock I would buy the Ameriglo sight upgrade. The Sig came standard with a tritium/fiber optic front sight. I think all told there was about $20 price difference across the board for all three pistols. Ultimately, I narrowed it down to Glock first. Deciding which one was a little tough. Ultimately, mission dictated the gear. I felt the 48 would be a little more difficult to conceal than a 43 or 43X. Although the 43 was a little more concealable, I felt it would be difficult for my wife to shoot. I wasn’t overly concerned about the capacity difference, but more is always better when it comes to ammo.

I don’t think any of them are a bad choice at all, but for this purchased I walked away with a Glock 43x with orange Ameriglo sights.

CD68F1DD-A5AF-4D47-9AC8-9E0F174136C7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear that the Sig has a problem with their pistols going bang without permission or am I out of the loop on this?

Not that you asked I opted for a Taurus GX4. They apparently have upped their build quality on this one and are surprisingly inexpensive (plus a $50 rebate). They are snappy and loud. I am no a pistol guy so I can't hit jack with it but for close range I suspect it'll do what it needs to.

365 and the 43x basically the only two choices. Try both out and shoot both if you can.

I bought and then sold a dozen different carry guns until finding the p365 -- heads and shoulders above anything on the market at the time. I haven't looked at its newer competitors since I am happy enough to have stopped looking. For its size/weight, it is amazingly soft shooting - maybe a grip thing.

I bought and then sold a dozen different carry guns until finding the p365 -- heads and shoulders above anything on the market at the time. I haven't looked at its newer competitors since I am happy enough to have stopped looking. For its size/weight, it is amazingly soft shooting - maybe a grip thing.
Absolutely love p365! I shoot it just fine and it's the most comfortable gun I've ever carried.

I like the options you listed here! Glad you got a chance to test them out. Been using an original M&P Shield9 since 2015 and have no reason to change for a carry pistol. I do like the feel of the Shield Plus with the better capacity. But at this point I have a small fortune invested in a couple dozen magazines, good holsters, and literally thousands of rounds through the pair I own. I shoot the little thing well too. I do want a new M&P 2.0 10mm as I’ve been asking S&W to make since at least 2017, but not one I’ll be carrying concealed or really anywhere besides the range and woods.

My only recommendation to you is a better holster or at the very least upgrade the clips on that one to soft loops. Soft loops, with a one-way Pull-the-Dot snap are better and more reliable than any metal or plastic belt clip. I worked my way through about a dozen lesser holsters before I learned this lesson. Most probably would have worked better if I had just upgraded to these soft loops. All other designs I tried, at some point, came with the gun when drawn and left you feeling stupid that you have a drawn gun that is unable to be shot as it is still in its holster.

Attachments

• C42B8E5F-A094-4F5A-9FC6-A15DA2B1189A.jpeg
    C42B8E5F-A094-4F5A-9FC6-A15DA2B1189A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Mine for this is a Ruger EC9. Its better than people think it is. I take it with mountain biking and hiking. It also serves as my ankle rig. Its an inexpensive gun so if it gets damage dropped I wont cry as much.

thanks and you do you...explain if you have evidence. not just it's a taurus blah blah blah
Name a single Law enforcement/Military/Security agency using a Taurus for anything. There's a reason for that.

What more explanation do you need? Sure buy one to fk around with at the range, but not for EDC/Woods defense with your life possibly on the line.

I had a similar decision to make and chose a Ruger SP 101. 357 or 38Special ammunition, and there is no worries about either detachable magazines or magazine capacity laws.

I don't measure anything off government purchases...lots of failed ideas and $ under the table buying first in line choices. Look at the Sig P320 I mentioned earlier...city cops carry those and now over 100 incidents of discharge.
by all means go wild with your Taurus my man

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back