Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New pistol purchase

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
I enjoy my wife's SIG 365 SAS to the point I *thought she wouldn't want to continue her carry interest and I'd have my sleek Sig.
I know the selection is not based on the Sig 365 SAS version though figured worth sharing the info:
This gun was a contender at one point. If I wanted a dedicated pocket gun I’d have a hard time steering away from this one.

I recently got the green light from the boss to purchase a new pistol. The primary use for this pistol is:
  1. Carry pistol when traveling, camping, etc.
  2. Small enough to take mountain biking, etc.
  3. Not so small it’s difficult for my wife to shoot

I pretty much narrowed it down to a few different options. I wanted it to be easy to carry in different states without worrying about magazine restrictions, so 10 round capacity was the most I could really look at and not run into difficulties.

I chose 9mm for a chambering.

Guns I looked at and shot:

Sig P365: Great little gun. I really liked it, and if this pistol’s sole purpose was a pocket/concealed gun I think the Sig is very hard to beat. It’s a nice trigger. The little gun is snappy in a 9mm, which is to be expected. Very nice…

Glock 43: Again, very nice gun. It to is very snappy in 9mm. It’s a little larger than the P365, which wasn’t a concern because of how I intended to use it.

Glock 43X: Ditto the above. The extra magazine capacity is nice, and it’s more comfortable to hold and shoot because of that BUT you also make it a little harder to conceal if that’s your jam.

Glock 48: This was the nicest gun to shoot because of the extra slide length and a little more weight. What a great little pistol. This ended up being a strong contender for top spot.

Price wise things were about a wash. I knew if I purchased a Glock I would buy the Ameriglo sight upgrade. The Sig came standard with a tritium/fiber optic front sight. I think all told there was about $20 price difference across the board for all three pistols. Ultimately, I narrowed it down to Glock first. Deciding which one was a little tough. Ultimately, mission dictated the gear. I felt the 48 would be a little more difficult to conceal than a 43 or 43X. Although the 43 was a little more concealable, I felt it would be difficult for my wife to shoot. I wasn’t overly concerned about the capacity difference, but more is always better when it comes to ammo.

I don’t think any of them are a bad choice at all, but for this purchased I walked away with a Glock 43x with orange Ameriglo sights.

View attachment 270213
I went the same direction about a year ago and couldn’t be happier. Actually sold my 19 because the 43x has become my go-to.

No mention of a Springfield? Only asking because I'm looking for something in this size range and the hellcat had my attention some.
Friends don't let friends carry Springfields, especially when you can get a Smith M&P Shield, CZ P-10, Beretta APX, Walther PPS, Glock 43/43X and quite a few flavors of Sig P365 for less cash.

thanks and you do you...explain if you have evidence. not just it's a taurus blah blah blah
Selling all of the guns mentioned I can tell you that the number of issues we have (returns for repair/warranty work, FT fire and feed, pieces coming off) from Taurus vs ALL of the others combined is at least 20 to 1. Most issues with the other guns end up being ammo or user error. It is too bad because the Taurus 22s are excellent little shooters. For the price of a Taurus you can just about get a Shield Plus which is INFINITELY a better gun.

Probably have 250 rounds through it now. One stovepipe in the first 100, although I was shooting 147 grain ball ammo at the time. I know these little 9's don't like the heavier ammo. I put 100 rounds of 124 grain through it yesterday without a hiccup.

First test run for the holster, slumming around Winco and Costco with the boss today. I'm happy to report I had no issue keeping it in my pants...

Did I hear that the Sig has a problem with their pistols going bang without permission or am I out of the loop on this?

Not that you asked I opted for a Taurus GX4. They apparently have upped their build quality on this one and are surprisingly inexpensive (plus a $50 rebate). They are snappy and loud. I am no a pistol guy so I can't hit jack with it but for close range I suspect it'll do what it needs to.
People love to rag on Taurus for some reason. I bought a G3 in 2020, and it’s been great. I’ve had 0 issues with it, and the only real complaint I can make is that the trigger has a lot of travel before it fires. Once I started just feeling for the reset, that was no longer an issue at all.

Considering it was a whopping $235 out the door, I’d say it was a good purchase.

Hearing about the Shield Arms mags I wanted to give them a try. 1 day delivery from Bigfork to Billings and I basically turned my pocket Glock into a P365. @JLS you should get a 15 rounder for trips to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. We aren’t commies about magazine capacity.

2D776978-3ECA-49C3-9610-8E03AA4FE06D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a firearms instructor and a certified Glock armorer. I've fired tens of thousands through various Glock models and calibers.

Off the clock if I'm carrying a gun, it's a Sig P365

Have the reliability issues with those shield arms mags actually been hammered out? I looked into them for a bit a couple years ago. I stuck with the factory 10 round mags when the high round count reviews were poor and the good ones were all "I ran a mag through it without issues, they are awesome".

Have the reliability issues with those shield arms mags actually been hammered out? I looked into them for a bit a couple years ago. I stuck with the factory 10 round mags when the high round count reviews were poor and the good ones were all "I ran a mag through it without issues, they are awesome".
I’ve heard good things from people lately. I’ll definitely be wringing mine out and seeing how they stack up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back