Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2rocky

Please forgive me since I grew up in a "No Open Carry" State. I did however spend time in Idaho where while working in the backcountry was instructed to carry whenever I was out with stock. The next year in Oregon, I was asked to keep the pistol in my saddlebags so as not to intimidate the guests.

My question is

"Is there an expectation from the gun owning community in Open Carry states that if you have a handgun, you will wear it on your person?"

Where I am now it would be considered a vulgar display of firepower in town or on the ranch around the buildings or a gathering of people. I even got chewed out for bringing a rifle not in a case into a gun store...

9x2qiufylk131.jpg

So I'm curious...If I go to Texas am I going to be judged for my choice or lack of of firearm accessories to my outfit? Ben Lamb mentioned BBQ guns...

Last edited:
Although I live in CA, my county is somewhat rural and mostly conservative. Even with the crazy state gun laws CCW permits are abundant and readily available to anyone who completes paperwork and background.
Not too long ago CA flirted with a strange form of open carry where the chamber had to be empty. I never understood the concept of displaying an unloaded pistol in a public setting. It seemed nothing more than posing or showing off your shiny 1911.
I would always think that open carry guy was just the first target if things went south.
I believe it is the quiet one to be most dangerous. The dude minding his business with cauliflower ears and polo shirt over the loud guy with sunglasses and a TapOut T-shirt. Even if open carry became legal, I would only carry concealed.

colorado is open carry (except denver county).

for me it's sort of a "read the room" thing. is open carrying in most places in colorado doing the 2A more good than harm in the public eyes?

right or wrong, the more people open carry in grocery stores and Target in a state like this the more i imagine suburban parents will be calling their lawmakers to ask why people need to carry loaded pistols everywhere they go.

that said, basically nobody open carries here, it's a non issue. i never have in a non public land place.

Kansas has open carry and I hardly see anyone carrying. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen it except once. No one would complain, but it's not expected. Everyone conceals though; it's legal here without a license too.

Back