I need a turkey gun

I didnt read most of the replies, just jumped in to say a lightweight gun, suitable for care-free travel, packs compactly, reliable for a lifetime, and cheap would be a Rem 870 in 20 gauge. Should be super easy to find one for sale mostly anywhere. Certainly its not the hottest new thing, but it’ll work every time.

No reason to go over the top on a turkey gun, unless you want to. Virtually any 12 gauge with a Carlson XF choke, and 3" #6 Longbeard XR shells will do far more than you need it to.
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to spend $60 on a box of TSS to kill turkeys. TSS doesn't kill them any more dead than lead does.
Agree 100%. I use a Mossberg 500A with a 660 Rhino choke and red dot. The only thing I've changed in 15 years is shells. I switched from a 3" Federal normal turkey load to the Longbeard XRs a few years ago.

All you need is a tight choked single shot 12 gauge! My old Iver Johnson has what some may call a turkey choke as it is a very tight full and is my go to gun for Tom's. No fancy turkey loads needed, just good old Super X 6's.

Be a hunter and get close.

Agree 100%. I use a Mossberg 500A with a 660 Rhino choke and red dot. The only thing I've changed in 15 years is shells. I switched from a 3" Federal normal turkey load to the Longbeard XRs a few years ago.
I killed my first two birds with 12 gauge Longbeard XRs and they are the real deal, especially when paired with an Indian Creek choke. The benefit I've seen in TSS is that it allows me to go to a smaller gauge in a lighter, more packable shotgun. Not much of an advantage back east when a long hike is 400 yards to the edge of a greenfield but makes a big difference trying to gain 2000ft elevation out west.

So many considerations. I personally am gonna add some thoughts. A .410 is awesome but it’s not legal in every state plus that gun or any gun using tss is gonna be super expensive to shoot.
A pump or single shot is the way to go. I’d say one gun, cheap to shoot make it a 12 with lead. Idk though seems guys got softer, they want super light guns that don’t kick. Maybe a 20 semi if that’s the case, you can prob still get by with lead especially since you don’t seem to be worried about passing an iffy chance which imo is turkey hunting anyway. If you don’t care bout cost a 20 or 28 semi with tss. Cheaper double guns prob weren’t adjusted to shoot correctly. The barrels gotta be adjusted right and cheap guns won’t have that done. Turkey loads shoot tight. If you shoot two dif loads from the same gun, same set up you’ll get deviation anyhow. Imagine if you used dif chokes, dif shells and the barrels did t align properly. I’d prob skip them.
Hope these added thoughts

I don't understand the need for a dedicated turkey shotgun.
Same old 12ga you shoot ducks, geese and pheasants with will work just fine. No need for a fancy camo finish or special sighting system either.

Although I'm not an avid turkey hunter, I've done my fair share of it and killed a few.
I find them to be relatively dumb and pretty easy to harvest.
We don’t know what we don’t know. Remember that. I’ll help you understand. If you shoot a looser choke and stay within easy effective range for that gun you might be 100 percent.
Today’s loads tend to be tight shooting. Today’s chokes tend to be tight shooting. I think you prob never patterned a gun. If you did you’d understand and it’s critical guys do. Shoot a pattern, say 5-7 yards. Many times you’d clean miss. The gun needs to have something adjust poi to poa. Even farther, say you’re off right. Now whole pattern is off right. Would a stray pellet or so catch a bird at range? Maybe. Each load, choke pattern will shoot different even from same gun. It needs adjusted.
So you sight in the gun. Waste expensive ammo. Now decide to undo all that stuff to duck hunt in fall. Springtime comes you’re redoing in again. More expense, time, aggravation trying to find the shells now discontinued so we again gotta search for a load, choke combo the gun likes. It’s expensive, time consuming if you’re using turkey chokes and loads. If you use a modified choke, shoot pheasant loads at em 20 yards you’re right. You prob got the gun. And yes occasionally a gun will shoot poa with turkey set ups but not often.
Regarding them being dumb and easy to harvest. You might be hunting dumb birds? Certain species are easier to hunt by far than others. Certain areas are easier too. We don’t know where the op is gonna wind up. And don’t take this wrong a few of anything wouldn’t/couldn’t be experience. Can’t give us depth of info to draw from. Hope this makes sense

Well since drawing big game tags is getting harder and harder to draw and my son is almost out the door headed to the military I have decided to jump back into turkey hunting with him. I called in and he harvested his first tom last spring and is hooked. I honestly could care less if I shoot a bird but he wants to do some out of state hunts and wants me to bring a shotgun and try and harvest a bird along with him. So what is the new hotness in turkey guns? My son is shooting a 20ga but I am open to anything. The .410 with TSS is interesting just because I want something light weight. I am getting old and dont want to carry a heavy gun. We are also looking to plan some fall out of state hunts for a rio or merriam. I would kind of like to help him get his grand slam before he leaves
fun fact, turkeys are the only species (I know of) where you can tell the sex by the shape of their poop. Toms/jakes will have a 'J' shaped poop :).

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back