Toyota Tacoma TRD, etc...Seller's Market!

Who gives a chit about trd pro and trd off road. Just learn how to drive the damn truck in whatever situation you're in.

The local Toyota dealership offered to buy my 2018 Tundra for $6,000 more than I paid for it this summer. There is one 2018 similar to mine on the lot with 45,000 miles and it is over $8,000 more than I paid for mine brand new. I’m glad I got a truck that I’ll keep for at least 15 years before all this insanity.

Good post. I was told the same. The Off Road TRD is almost identical, less fancy Pro shocks, etc.
Also the back seat, as I mentioned in the OP, for all the '21 & '22 Tacoma double cabs is crap. A kids legs would be cramped!
Also agree the motor does not hold the same spunk as competitors. However the resale, coming out of this market, is essential. Top vehicle, year after year, with the best resale is Toyota.
Resale (#1) and some of the build perks of the Toy trucks outweigh the Colorado, Canyon, and Ranger, IMO of course

Only asked for ball park number on a loaded TRD Pro tundra, that’s what he gave me and said less what discount he would give off MSRP. He said we weren’t seeing anything till after December at best

All about suspension (increased off road capability) and personal appearance and an increased resale. Oh, approx. 3 mpg less with the Pro. Price plays a toll on personal desire. Pro looks bad ass --- to overcome the $ difference? To each his/her own.

Other than maybe being able to sleep in the bed with the tailgate up or in the backseat without curling up your legs I think that Toyota is a downgrade from the gladiator.
Looks like every other pickup.

I wish I had a crystal ball for what this truck market is going to do. My buddy who is a chip industry analyst doesn't see a glut of chips coming our way for automotive. There's better margins to be had elsewhere, and they're already tooled up for consumer electronics. His forecast has them steadily trickling in. Prices will soften, but unlikely to crash.....that said, a wild card is what happens to demand when many paid a premium for their current rigs and can't justify taking a massive loss forcing new prices to soften even quicker.

Other than maybe being able to sleep in the bed with the tailgate up or in the backseat without curling up your legs I think that Toyota is a downgrade from the gladiator.
Looks like every other pickup.
Went back and forth on this specific line of thought. Good points.
The deal is, wife has one as well. Not really losing the enjoyable versatility of the Gladiator. Tops pop off under a minute, doors come off, etc. JEEP certainly has their long standing niche!
I was offered 37.5k trade in. FIL is a lifer for Jeep somehow snockered into a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. He asked to buy it vs me using it as a trade in. I agreed to a swap and he'd pay the difference between his renegade and my Gladiator.
Now, I didn't take the TRD Pro I checked out and the proud-less owner of a pumped up Fiat vehicle with a Jeep name. It's fine with me. He has a Jeep he enjoys and I have a new car to use as a trade in when I find the truck that collects my drool - and a deal.

Went back and forth on this specific line of thought. Good points.
The deal is, wife has one as well. Not really losing the enjoyable versatility of the Gladiator. Tops pop off under a minute, doors come off, etc. JEEP certainly has their long standing niche!
I was offered 37.5k trade in. FIL is a lifer for Jeep somehow snockered into a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. He asked to buy it vs me using it as a trade in. I agreed to a swap and he'd pay the difference between his renegade and my Gladiator.
Now, I didn't take the TRD Pro I checked out and the proud-less owner of a pumped up Fiat vehicle with a Jeep name. It's fine with me. He has a Jeep he enjoys and I have a new car to use as a trade in when I find the truck that collects my drool - and a deal.
Taco owner here with my two cents. A tacoma is a better choice than the gladiator in my opinion. Resale and cost to own and overall dependability place it pretty far ahead. As for the pro vs off road, the pro isn’t worth the price tag. If you can find a new trd off-road for msrp or under I’d jump on it. You aren’t gaining any real world capability with the pro over the trd off-road that you couldn’t replicate for a fraction of the difference in price between the models. I have a 17 off road and the locking diff is all I use! Crawl control is cool but I’ve never needed it in northwest Montana’s nasty roads.

Attachments

• 8FDFA3E7-3D91-41BD-8546-23FE556C5DC5.jpeg
    8FDFA3E7-3D91-41BD-8546-23FE556C5DC5.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 11
2021 is the last year for the 5.7 I-Force V-8. A Tundra is a better choice than a Taco IMO. If I was going to trade in my Tundra it would be on another Tundra with the 5.7.

What's their mpg?
MPG on the previous gen Tundra is pretty poor (not sure about the new one...), but the Taco isn't that great either and once you load it down that 3.5 really struggles and economy goes down really fast. I'd imagine the 5.7 isn't impacted as much when loaded.

If you have to ask, you probably can't afford to fill the tank.
I don’t think this is true at all. A wise consumer would be well served to consider overall cost of ownership prior to making a big purchase like this.

I'm probably going to have to wait longer than I want to get the new tundra. Not paying stupid price
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford to fill the tank.
I suppose in the time I posted that Google could have told me. Oh well - so much for social interaction… 1😅

I don’t think this is true at all. A wise consumer would be well served to consider overall cost of ownership prior to making a big purchase like this.
This is America, wisdom has nothing to do with consuming.

Is there an insert button for sarcasm? The 5.7 tundra gets terrible mileage, people don't buy them for their fuel economy. 😉

I have a possible line hop on a Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 10 speed transmission, with the larger eco-boost, and various bells and whistles. It was offered, and I've agreed. Waiting for a firm go from him.
Soft top, four door.
It's pretty flippin bad ass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back