Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Boats

Sytes

Hunting for a good boat to handle potential salt and freshwater. This is predominately used for fishing though second for scuba and third for play.

Needs to manage wide bodies of water so I've nixed the bass boat world (sadly). While my predominant fishing would occur in less choppy water - to reach those locations, it needs a pretty decent V hull.

Next: My current dream boat is the '22 Yamaha FSH 210. The price is nice for a center console and engineering design that makes the ultimate of choice boats for my interest...

The challenge? My wife won't touch ANY bait / lure I've tossed. The hook still offensively shines @ $53k... even though, IMO, 53k is well worth it. ( :) ) I've had a few minor nibbles though I try to set the hook once with her and it doesn't set, I can kiss it goodbye so... gently playing this one.

Second, and hard to overcome the awesome versatility of the one above however... Budget fits for my wife and - well, you know the saying. The big downside, even with a rear ladder, a PITA to climb back aboard with scuba gear and for "play", ya, with a 115, it will move good enough to pull a tube, etc... though not in comparison to the ultimate twin jet engine above. /cry.

Then, I can downsize to a single jet Yamaha... 195 FSH. ? Still though, a bite on the budget that is around that 30- stretch to mayyyyybe 40k.

Two different types of vessels. Stand vs Sit for cruising. I really like the open deck, prop-less rear for swimming, scuba, etc.

Thoughts? Used center consoles w/ low hours - Bayliner 2020? However, I've "heard" bayliner hull builds are a bit thinner and flex more.

World of boats. Thoughts of the setting? Other options that incorporate the interests? #1. Fishing #2. Swim/Scuba #3. Play.

I like the Boston Whalers! $$$. Far more than I have for a 20' and I'm not comfortable purchasing used. Don't know jack squat bout good v bad and in a new area that I know no-one w/in range, I trust.
Also same thoughts on Bayliner.

Wife and I had a max budget od 25k$... based on some friendly advice to look at the '22 ‐ 195 and 210 Yamaha FSH Sport models. Wife's greenlighted 50k$ and she and I are off to view a 195 Tuesday.

Thinking we'll likely have them install an anchor stop type saltwater trolling motor kit w/ t. Motor batteries for their own charge unit and quick release for boat cover.

Anyone researched, have, or ridden an FSH Yamaha? If so, thoughts?

The comforts of a well laid out deckboat with a steep enough deadrise for the waters you'll be boating might be worth a look.

This would be my dream boat.

Reads like you’re fishing deep water, curious as to your choice of a jet. I own 15 from 60 horse to 250. They sure are not efficient.
the 195 uses a 1.8L SVHO Yamaha engine

Here's a review via BoatTEST.com. not suggesting they are the king of reviews. Sharing in the event info discussed about the motor, etc offers details I wouldn't know how to properly explain.

I'm looking at coastal, sound, and salt/fresh commercial river route settings as well as a few large body fresh water lakes.

...deckboat with a steep enough deadrise
What do you mean, "steep"? Is it discernable via the video?

This would be my dream boat.
95k$ base, sure hope it your dream boat! Sweet though $$$! Wow! 300cc motor! Bet it screams!.
Thanks guys.

Yamaha makes a great motor. Given the option I would take a Yamaha. They are not with out problems but to me it seems to be far less than the others. An example is the tilt motor on their T8 and 9.9. It’s in the water all day every day. Eventually there us a problem, typically the kicker won’t go either up or down. Simple fix once you know how, a grand to take it to the shop.
That being said we’ve a couple motors that are 20 years old, rattle a little, but keep on running.
A jet doesn’t have a neutral, direct drive the impeller is always spinning. My guess is somebody thinks you may need to prevent water from being forced into the jet boot. Never worried about it just raised the motor If possible, but I have very little time with inboard systems, always ran outboards. Looked at the video, impressive boat. To be honest I had no idea jets were so popular in recreational boats.

Last edited:
Looking for one or the other. If anyone knows an online shop with either in stock - PM or post the link, please.

Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 80 Trolling Motor w/i-Pilot Bluetooth - 24V-80lb-72"

XI5 WIRELESS SALTWATER 80LB 72" WITH PINPOINT GPS

Appreciate everyone's assistance! Wow! Amazing, considering all the factors... tons of great PM's with a plethora of knowledge.
A fellow HT member personally evaluated a boat too far from our area to assess and his boat experience was invaluable!

Thanks to everyone!

I'm under a mandatory retirement in seven years. My wife and I have been relocated into Canada up to my date of retirement.

This played a huge factor in our decision and completely altered our initial boat intent.

My wife pressed for a safer use boat based on our gov relocation upon retirement along with current use areas. Basically, coastal sea worthiness and in likely cooler weather seafaring conditions.

We purchased a Hewescraft 210 Sea Runner w/ 200 and 9.9 kicker and it has most all the bells and whistles desired. We went with a fully enclosed soft top as well.

Thanks again to everyone's for your assistance.

Appreciate everyone's assistance! Wow! Amazing, considering all the factors... tons of great PM's with a plethora of knowledge.
A fellow HT member personally evaluated a boat too far from our area to assess and his boat experience was invaluable!

Thanks to everyone!

I'm under a mandatory retirement in seven years. My wife and I have been relocated into Canada up to my date of retirement.

This played a huge factor in our decision and completely altered our initial boat intent.

My wife pressed for a safer use boat based on our gov relocation upon retirement along with current use areas. Basically, coastal sea worthiness and in likely cooler weather seafaring conditions.

We purchased a Hewescraft 210 Sea Runner w/ 200 and 9.9 kicker and it has most all the bells and whistles desired. We went with a fully enclosed soft top as well.

Thanks again to everyone's for your assistance.
Boom, great choice. Remote control auto pilot for the kicker makes trolling reeeeeal nice...

Boom, great choice. Remote control auto pilot for the kicker makes trolling reeeeeal nice...
Will be interesting for certain. It has downriggers, the auto stop/anchor via GPS trolling bow unit, etc. Tools I never thought would exist in my wheelhouse.

Lots to learn.

I set my kicker in gear and steer on auto pilot with the bow mount motor. Helps with boat control for sure.

I set my kicker in gear and steer on auto pilot with the bow mount motor. Helps with boat control for sure.
Was viewing the auto pilot for the kicker. What type do you have? Is it connected to your console display for GPS plotting or I saw another type (YouTube) that he pointed a certain direction, adjusted speed, clicked something else and the boat routed that direction?

Pro's / cons for yours?

Also @Salmonchaser / others in the know, I'm looking at radar units. What are key factors worth having? Price seems steep for these units though I believe I understand the value. Other info to consider?

Was viewing the auto pilot for the kicker. What type do you have? Is it connected to your console display for GPS plotting or I saw another type (YouTube) that he pointed a certain direction, adjusted speed, clicked something else and the boat routed that direction?

Pro's / cons for yours?

Also @Salmonchaser / others in the know, I'm looking at radar units. What are key factors worth having? Price seems steep for these units though I believe I understand the value. Other info to consider?

On my old boat (hewescraft)I had a Garmin Tr-1 gold auto pilot system that steered the kicker motor (Yamaha T8) via a remote control. That system operated off a compass that was mounted to the bow of the boat. The point and click system you’re referring to is the newer Garmin Reactor auto pilot system. I’m not as familiar with the reactor as TR-1 gold so I cannot speak to its use or durability. The TR-1 gold was bullet proof but has since been discontinued.

If you have a Minn Kota or similar bow mount trolling motor, a good option would be to use the auto pilot feature of the bow mount to steer from the bow while using your 9.9 kicker for thrust from the rear. Hopefully this makes sense. This how I am set up on my new boat and it works great.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back