Boats

that is a stout boat, a very good boat for the money.
Thus far, tolerating my abuse.

More along the lines of, breaking it in... Hah!

Boating along @ 20mph in 25' of water and suddenly, Bam!

Buddy and I looked at each other both with a "WT-Heck?" expression...

I have a hummingbird chip for the lakes in the provincial fishing area that's saved my bacon countless times knowing the topography.
In this case, no topography...

Middle of the open body of water, routing along a prior day path, hit a topped off tree approx 1' underwater!

View attachment 295389

Lessons learned. The lake was originally a massive logging operation in a reasonable land depression they filled in as a reservoir. Great pike fishing around submerged stumps in shallow water though didn't expect a standing topped tree underwater.

We tied off a plastic container so hopefully others don't incur the same experience.

An island with camp site. Not near as amazing as another thread pic of Champlain Lake Vermont island camp location though intent was a buddy and I fishing.

View attachment 295390

It's been a blast for all activities though the $ is a constant factor, especially operating as a rookie at the helm. Haha!

We had a blast non stop catching little hammerheads on to 7-10#ers.
Humor and fun...

View attachment 295391

Had the opportunity to try out the high pressure spray nozzle attachment and easily hosed off our platform.

Had some amazing pike tempura coated evening edibles along with usual fire pit brats.

So, I figure, I'll weld a piece of aluminum onto the portion I snapped, and attach this item found with decent reviews ($190$)...

View attachment 295392

Purchased a new Solar7 SS prop, ($450$) and a "SOLAS Rubex 107 Hub Kit"... and, we hope to make one last trek this year with a friend and his family.

It's been a blast, education, and expense.

That's rookie boating 101...

Questions for boat gurus...

I soft grinded the broken lower motor skeg (for lack of a better description) and added the attachment shown in the quoted message above. I've right angle lined it up as precise as possible for center line and angle 90* / flat to the prop edge with an approx 1&1/4 spacing.

My Q... See pics:

The void open space, between the brackets, will this cause possible reduced mph / cavitation / other issues?
I am contemplating filling in the entire void with JB Weld and sanding both sides smoothly to resolve any possible issues. However, once I do that, it will require a good cutting wheel to remove if crap happens.

I bought a new prop ($450...) And hub assembly. Next project. Any tips to take the prop off and replace? Solas prop, RBX hub assembly.

Thoughts?

IMG_20231017_102206490_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231017_102127073_HDR.jpgIMG_20231017_102149255_HDR.jpg

I'd fill the gap, but I would skip the JB and go with 3M 4200 (not 5200, you'll hate yourself if you have to remove it later). For the prop just wedge it with a block of wood and take it off with either an impact or 1/2" ratchet. If its sticky use a leather or wood mallet to pound it off.

Grease the shaft good when you put it back together.

Thus far, tolerating my abuse.

Questions for boat gurus...

I soft grinded the broken lower motor skeg (for lack of a better description) and added the attachment shown in the quoted message above. I've right angle lined it up as precise as possible for center line and angle 90* / flat to the prop edge with an approx 1&1/4 spacing.

My Q... See pics:

The void open space, between the brackets, will this cause possible reduced mph / cavitation / other issues?
I am contemplating filling in the entire void with JB Weld and sanding both sides smoothly to resolve any possible issues. However, once I do that, it will require a good cutting wheel to remove if crap happens.

I bought a new prop ($450...) And hub assembly. Next project. Any tips to take the prop off and replace? Solas prop, RBX hub assembly.

Sytes, lots of good videos on the YouTube on replacing props, I’d check out some of those, good luck. One thing I’ve learned with boats, there is ALWAYS something that needs maintenance or repair!

Always. I probably worked on boats every day after we got back to the dock, for some reason our boats always ran and any problems were minor.

I'm about to fill in the void with the 3M 4200.

I'm curious though, as this is a semi permanent use to fill inn the void, what adverse may result if I do not fill it in with the 3M 4200?

It's a 2021(?) Honda 200. I imagine my mph will drop a couple with the unit attached. Will I feel it vibrate? Would it possiby damage the mechanical portions inside the motor? I'm completely new to any such setting. I went this direction, to spend $190 for this attachment and a new prop ($450), versus paying $+++ for a new lower simply to replace the broken skeg. Initially, I was going to weld a new piece and shape it accordingly. I have the skill and mig aluminum industrial spool gun to give it a go though the casting of the lower holds a mixture of copper within the aluminum and that would lead to impurities that may cause future challenges. Apparenytly, there is a tig rod that motor repair shops use and I have some tig skill, w/o a Tig machine, that's hopping some hoops to do something, I believe my current build resolves +the added perks of the addition.

Anyone use this unit? Apparently it has various advantages including dropping onto plane quickly and supposedly aids manuverability, aside from the obvious, protecting the prop - and sealife in florida, according to one YouTuber....

I'm rambling - hesitating adding the 3m 400. Anyone with some background on water dynamics, how it effects motors, propulsion, etc? pro v con to fill in with the adhesive?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back