New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

Another options would be my son's 2006 Honda Element. He would part with it for $10,000. @schmalts swears by them as a hunting rig. When we showed up for our Wyoming hunt, he was sporting a Honda Element and was talking about cornering the market on them as hunting rigs.

Seriously, all the rigs I have tested seem to be improvements over when I did this same process in 2016 and 2012. I suspect that all of the rigs I have tested, and the one I will test tomorrow, will more than suffice what I need. In addition to the factors mentioned when I started this thread, the CPA in me is also interested in the depreciation factor, a function of great purchase price (hopefully) and expected higher resale value (hard to know).

It is less a function of what will work (they all will), and more about what attributes are higher priority for me and the crew and based on twelve years of doing this crazy gig. I can see the Power Wagon being the run away winner if we towed more/bigger stuff. I could see the Titan being the next choice if it was only about purchase price. If gas mileage was paramount, the F-150 would win. If (insert here), the Trail Boss or the Raptor would win. A good situation to be in, no matter the final choice.

This makes for fun discussion. I really appreciate such great feedback.

My 2cents:
Could always buy simple an get aftermarket shop to upgrade with what you an crew need.

I'm frugal too, but hate to have complications to work on during a hunt instead of be out hunting. So nice to have less miles. Got a plain hemi Tradesman with 12k miles for $28k already had wheels, tires, bedlined, tow package, an LEDs on front gaurd an grill. Let the original owner deal with selling factory wheels.
Swapped over my ugly elk chasing cap and spare portable battery. Now just need a winch an maybe 3" BDS lift. Definitely getting new full size spare. Building an elk rig is costly an then running it through oak brush an boulders seems insane to most people. But so dang fun

Attachments

• 20200115_161718-1612x1209.jpg
    20200115_161718-1612x1209.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 41
Another options would be my son's 2006 Honda Element. He would part with it for $10,000. @schmalts swears by them as a hunting rig. When we showed up for our Wyoming hunt, he was sporting a Honda Element and was talking about cornering the market on them as hunting rigs.

Seriously, all the rigs I have tested seem to be improvements over when I did this same process in 2016 and 2012. I suspect that all of the rigs I have tested, and the one I will test tomorrow, will more than suffice what I need. In addition to the factors mentioned when I started this thread, the CPA in me is also interested in the depreciation factor, a function of great purchase price (hopefully) and expected higher resale value (hard to know).

It is less a function of what will work (they all will), and more about what attributes are higher priority for me and the crew and based on twelve years of doing this crazy gig. I can see the Power Wagon being the run away winner if we towed more/bigger stuff. I could see the Titan being the next choice if it was only about purchase price. If gas mileage was paramount, the F-150 would win. If (insert here), the Trail Boss or the Raptor would win. A good situation to be in, no matter the final choice.

This makes for fun discussion. I really appreciate such great feedback.
I junked my Element at 300K when the head gasket blew. It was a sad day..... that rig did many western trips to many states. Yes it did limit where I could go but I sure did take it many places that you think it would not have gone. Tell Matt I will give him a sweet deal and a trade for my Pontiac Vibe.... I know he will just laugh but a guy has to try.

I read Kanye West purchased a few Raptors maybe BigFin can swap mods with him next time he is in Wyoming. Maybe even take him on an antelope hunt.

This has been a good read, I'm hoping to get another 2-3 years on my truck. Since no truck is "perfect" I always try and figure out what I can customize to make better. My biggest limiting factor in trucks is the stubby bed, it is the one thing I wish I could change about my Tundra, and will be a key factor in any purchase going forward and likely the reason I won't get another. Maybe they'll figure out a 6.5' on the crewmax with the new truck....unfortunately as a recovering accountant I like my vehicles at 5-6 years old.

Suspension, and a locker are the two biggest other items for a hunting rig for me and they're items I can adjust pretty easily for better performance. It baffles me that some vehicles don't have power outlets these days, but again that can be fixed with an inverter. I'm not planning on ever towing anything heavier than 5,0000lbs so that's sort of irrelevant to me. I like leather, but often don't want everything else that typically comes in a leather package, more trucks should offer lower packages with leather a la carte.

The best thing about those old power wagons is that you'll never have a kidney stone if you spend any amount of time in them.

The Ford's are really nice. Their big cabs have a ridiculous amount of room. With the Raptor, it seems all you'repaying for is extra marketing & bling that can fall off. The off road package w/ a towing package & the Lariat interior are pretty darned nice.

But again, based on the crew's lack of desire to fund their own comfort, and the fact that @Big Fin is essentially the John Wayne of outdoor media, I present this:

1582742333196.png

it even has a place for the camera guys to stand up in the back!

If you do not need a bed, the 4-runner has a fancy cousin with a v8. Probably priced better than 4-runners on the used market. Lexus GX 470.
Though, if I were to do another build out, I would go 2006-2007 LX 470, simply for the extra inch or 2 in perceived cabin width.

1582743079604.png

My biggest limiting factor in trucks is the stubby bed, it is the one thing I wish I could change about my Tundra, and will be a key factor in any purchase going forward and likely the reason I won't get another. Maybe they'll figure out a 6.5' on the crewmax with the new truck

That was my thought as well when I ordered my F150. It has its benefits. You can fit most full size quads in the back if you deflate the tires. Between the front racks bulging out and the wheel base it is necessary on some models to close the tailgate.

Between that space and a hitch hauler we were able to get everything out to Wyoming and back with 2 elk without pulling a trailer. Which saved us around 300 in gas.

The down side is that the rest of the year you wish you had a 5’ 6” bed. Parking my truck takes some fore thought and there are multiple times I’ve had to pull in and back up a couple times to get it into a space straight.

It’s worth the trade off for us, just be aware what you’re getting yourself into.

That was my thought as well when I ordered my F150. It has its benefits. You can fit most full size quads in the back if you deflate the tires. Between the front racks bulging out and the wheel base it is necessary on some models to close the tailgate.

Between that space and a hitch hauler we were able to get everything out to Wyoming and back with 2 elk without pulling a trailer. Which saved us around 300 in gas.

The down side is that the rest of the year you wish you had a 5’ 6” bed. Parking my truck takes some fore thought and there are multiple times I’ve had to pull in and back up a couple times to get it into a space straight.

It’s worth the trade off for us, just be aware what you’re getting yourself into.

Yup, my old F150 had the 6 1/2 ft box, my new one has the 5 1/2. The extra foot makes a huge difference in the amount of crap you can haul for a hunt, but day-to the 5 1/2 has sure been nice around town. Pretty conflicted about what I'll do next time around.

I'm aware and think it is going to be worth it....my buddy has a 150 and I appreciate the extra space. My dad has an Silverado 3500 with an 8ft, and that thing is has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

On a hunt in ID a few years back I rented a truck in Missoula and they gave me my the Ford equivalent of my Dad's truck....we got a good laugh that week.

8 doors, 16ft of bed length, 1,200ft/lbs of torque, and a turning radius of 3 miles.

20151025_114115 (1).jpg

Well, after driving the Trail Boss today I've concluded that no matter what I choose, it will be a good choice. Like I said, I could make a case for any of those options and be very happy with them. Each have things they get extra points for and put them at the top of the heap.

I do have my own quirks that probably seem strange. An example of my quirks is that I don't like a shift hand on the steering column. While bouncing up/down hills, having it on the console allows me to brace myself with my right arm and just use my wrist and hand for shifting up/down. I also like more headroom for visibility. Just how I drive and wanting as much visibility as possible with the seat back far enough for someone who is 6' 2".

I am really interested in the cargo bed on the Power Wagon that is a foot longer. Wish they all had that option.

There is nothing that compared to the rough road performance of the Raptor, whether bump or ruts. The wider footprint is a pain around town and will be when parking, but on dirt (snow now) roads, it is very stable and very smooth.

I like the price of the Titan the best. And, having driven them for the last 15 years, all trouble-free miles, it is hard to move on from that loyalty. But, the current models are a bit dated when compared to the others I've tested.

This thread has generated some inquiries of people/dealers letting me know what they have available. The prices being quoted to me are a bit better than I expected. I've got some decisions to make on the models I've been shown and the prices being asked.

I'll make a decision by EOB today. Time to go visit with the crew and see if they are willing to chip in ;).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back