New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

Just told the crew how impressed I was with the Raptor. They were pretty excited to hear that. Perked up in their chairs and started talking about who was the co-pilot, what color they wanted, even heard things like moon roofs, woofers, and a bunch of other stupid ideas that would reflect no concern for the guy writing the check.

I then asked for a donation to the Raptor cause, making a pitch that since it is for their comfort/health/benefit a donation would be expected/demanded/helpful. They all looked at me as if I had cut their pay and asked them to work OT for free. Always easy to spend the other guy's money.

Things got pretty quiet, real fast. The meeting ended with some mumbling and grumbling. Them thinking I had left for the day allowed me to hear "WTH?" and other statements of flabbergast coming from the editing office.

Guess I'm now in the market for 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 Ton single cab with manual tranny, manual locking hubs, a bench seat, roll down windows, and an aftermarket 8-track tape player stacked on top of the CB radio deck. I suspect a season trying to make that rig work for us and they will be a bit more generous to the cause of a comfortable vehicle (that they will destroy within two seasons).

I'm going home to some of Mrs. Fin's caribou spaghetti. Hopefully I will have a more generous attitude, come morning.
The raptor is for wimps. Show the crew what it was like to be a man in the 80’s and Heather Thomas. Sigh.

I happen to have a truck like that, but a 1986 version. Unmolested, even has the cassette player and factory hubcaps. Never modified in any way. 78,000 miles. Heather not included. I'd sell it to Fin. mtmuley

How is the rust? 1/2 or 3/4 ton?

I'm beyond mid-life. And, yeah, I would love to splurge on a truck, a new boat, a sheep hunt, a (insert here). At $72,000 and a no-dicker sticker, "stupid" would be a far better term than "splurge." As Grandma would say, "I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid."

So, I will drive a Trail Boss in the morning.

Are you going to try the F150 to see if the extra 22,000 for the Raptor is worth it?

I'm beyond mid-life. And, yeah, I would love to splurge on a truck, a new boat, a sheep hunt, a (insert here). At $72,000 and a no-dicker sticker, "stupid" would be a far better term than "splurge." As Grandma would say, "I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid."

So, I will drive a Trail Boss in the morning.

I am really pulling for you to get a Raptor so you can tell me how incredible it is. It will help me to convince myself that’s it’s worth it:)

The raptor is for wimps. Show the crew what it was like to be a man in the 80’s and Heather Thomas. Sigh.

I remember we watching that show as a kid. If I remember correctly, the guys on Simon and Simon had a pretty cool truck as well

No rust 3/4 ton Camper Special with the Turbo 400 and low gears. Just kidding about the sale. Family truck forever. mtmuleyView attachment 129172
I have the exact same truck for my snow plow rig other than mine has cab lights and huge rust holes. Gotta love the northeast for rusting out vehicles. Wish our vehicles stayed as rust free as you guys in the western states.

I have the exact same truck for my snow plow rig other than mine has cab lights and huge rust holes. Gotta love the northeast for rusting out vehicles. Wish our vehicles stayed as rust free as you guys in the western states.
It's a great truck. I drive it up the hill when I ain't screwing around about where I want to go. mtmuley

At $72,000 and a no-dicker sticker...

It's crazy how high the demand is for those Raptors. Our local dealership will come down a little off sticker, but there really isn't need to do much more. Apparently that's in your neck of the woods too.

I'd suggest considering the FX4 with the Ford Performance suspension upgrade installed by the dealer and effectively get a hybrid of the two trucks for tens of thousands of dollars less. You'd get identical rear interior dimensions, narrower exterior width, all the 110V you want, comfortable ride, tons of power, etc...

Seems like a F-150 crew cab, FX4, 3.5 ecoboost with the 6.5 ft bed would be pretty close to fitting the bill.
1.5” level , plus 275/60/20 BFG’s. Would make it a little more off-road capable for not much money.

We had that same truck but with a 6.2l diesel. We had a slide in camper for it, even drove it from MI to FL to do Disney one year. Find memories
I had a 1971 GMC 3/4ton 4x4 a long time ago. One of many GMC's. Miss that truck. A friend has a 1972 with a 383 stroker and an NV 4500 5 speed OD trans. Lockers on both ends. Cruises on the highway, and will go anywhere it will fit. Cool truck. Sorry Randy, got off track. mtmuley

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back