Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

LIVE ... Up-to-date AK !!!

Moosie

I've eaten at the "Chow Hall" there...didn't realize there was a "Mess Hall" though. :p I've stayed in the dorms too...that is about as good as the lodging gets in K.S. Brings back memories. I plan to get back out there in Spring 08.

I wish active duty could still go there...oh well.

Congrats on the bear. I've got several brown bear hunts under the belt now and I'm still looking for the right one. You on the other hand don't screw around...getting the J-O-B done.

How long does your dad suspect he will be in Alaska?

"cormorant", Merganser.... Same thing !! ;)

TK, way to catch the ornithologist....again.

I had to google that word Beotch. I thought All you knew were fat chicks , not birds, go figure.

The flip-flops are a must on an Alaskan bear hunt - don't leave home without them!

I'll have them in November on Kodiak Island too.... I'm guessing pictures will pop up all over the states now. Gessh, some Lucky "A"-hole shoots a ram with them on and everyone tries it, kind of like Greehorns undies .. HAHA !!!!

Second degree of Kindred can hunt with a resident here, just for those that don't know the law. It's on Page 23 in the AK game law. I fall under the "SON" rule. Neither guys were a guide, just one was my dad. (SEE F&G visit on Day one, thats what all the paperwork was for !!)

DAY 3

We met Nick for Breakfast. He is one of the Cooks and did serve us a fine steak dinner last Friday night. Not only that, but he took us out in his Jetboat today. Breakfast was great again. I had my Usual, bacon, sausage links, sausage patties and toast. Couple glasses of Coke and some Icecream with chocolate chips and nuts on top. Let's jsut say when I get back home I'm looking into an Icecream machine, those things rock !!

So we hit the water before daylight. Below is a Picture of Nick and dad along the trip :

60.jpg

I thought we were gonig hunting but today was a different day I guess. I got to Pick up a $29 Hooker !!! It wasn't only a Regular Hooker but a Super Hooker. I mean really, who'd of thought I could pick up a "super Hooker" in King salmon for only $29.

When we stopped the Boat, I got to throw her over boat to keep the boat from drifting away....

Nothing like throwing a hooker overboard :

61.jpg

The only thing better then handleing a $29 Super Hooker would be to See a BEAVER !!! Being away from Idaho for Awhile I sure miss seeing beaver. Fortunately enough I got to see the Beaver Houseing :

62.jpg

We were in the right area, but AK beaver is hard to find. Seemed like every time I got my camera out at the site of beaver all I got was wet !!! Here is all I'd ever get to see of it :

62a.jpg

Anyways, my Buddy ("merganser" I'll call him *smile*) came over to visit again. He wasn't too shy and went next to the boat to check us out :

63.jpg

Today was the day of the birds again. I didn't bring the shotgun..... but we saw Ample birds to fill about 6 daily bag limits of all different sorts. Here were some White flying thingies. I'm going to refrain from posting what they are because MtMiller and the "PC" gang will break out the Latin word to correct me and I'll have to Put aFlip flop in their ass ;)

64.jpg

Here are some birds we snuck up on... Buy "Snuck up", I mean at 40MPH in a Jet boat !!!

I took a series of pictures as they left the water :

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

HEre are a couple more :

70.jpg

71.jpg

72.jpg

ALL in all It was a Good Duck hunting day.... Well..... good as in we weren't hunting them, but saw them !!!

We saw one of my White headed buddies up the river again (Actually we saw like 17 but I still wanted to post one picture) :

73.jpg

Then we got a visit by a little Otter. I saw several today but like the AK beaver, they don't like it when you pull up next to them in a boat..... Gesh !!!

74.jpg

75.jpg

And here is a Otter digging deap to hide from us. You can see his little foot :

76.jpg

It started to Dump in the late afternood and we had burned through 20 gallons of gas. lets jsut say 20 gallons of gas is 35-40 river miles. All that travel and we didn't see any more bears.

Tomorrow morning I visit F&G to see if I can get my bear situated and then It's bear freezing time !! Probably not alot of Pics tomorrow.... But you never know :D

OHHH btw, on the Mount, I'm planning to do a Full body, not a Rug. I might mount it in the Position I saw it the Day before I got it. Only problem now ......the room to keep it. I hope the Taxidermist works extra slow for me this year...... I have 2 lifesize bears coming in :D :D

I'm not going to do any fishing. I never got the license. I figured I wouldn't have the time. Tomorrow is Pack up day so I probably won't end up getting one.
Anyways, talk at you guys soon..............

Congrats Moosie on your bear!

This picture...

14_979723.jpg

...looks like a sow to me. Big ass and narrow muzzle. ;) Is that the one you shot, was it a boar or sow?

I need to get out and shoot my own brownie one of these days. You pictures are providing some motivation.

Great thread, thanks!

Those ears look awlfully close together.
hmmmm...I can't even see Moosie's ears with that stupid hat on ;)

Speaking of hats- I like the initial "gear" photo....do you have to take a separate carry-on for all those friggin hats you pack around??!!

Great job Oscar....thanks for bringing us along!

...and the flip-flops are a classic

Congratulations Moosie. I to would have shot him the first day. You must have more self-control than me. Good job!

Is that the one you shot, was it a boar or sow?

I figured it to be a sow too, I mean, with the Ass that big it reminded me of a Women, right ? (Note to self, tell the wife not to check the board anymore .. ;) ) On a serious note, I've always heard that a bear with a big end like that is usually a sow. I'm pretty sure the bear I got was the Same os the one the day before, it was 24 hours later but it was the same area and the only bear we saw in there.....

BW, Dad will have a Blackbear tag burning a hole in his pocket next year. What would be the odds of slipping in on one of your Down the river adventures ? Heck, I'd even come along with my Hats and Flip Flops (and a tag or course) for monkey entertainment :) Drop me a PM !

do you have to take a separate carry-on for all those friggin hats you pack around??!!

Dude.... I have 3 caps, a brim hat, and a beanie. You make it sound like I'm the only one that packs that many caps. Geesh :p

Wylee, We'll do lunch when I get back Bud !!! Let me cath up with the Family, that should take .. ohhhhhh 30 seconds or so ;) (J/K hun !!!!!!)

......Well, story time over, It's getting daylight now, We're off to F&G.

Back