Gas price breaking point

wm burwell

With gas prices on the rise. What is the determing factor on whether you will make a trip west or wait to see if prices will come down some? I am getting ready to put in for a draw tag in Colorado, I know I will get one because they been having left over bow tags. Should I get it now or wait and see if gas will come down? Also is anyone thinking of carpooling?

Work a couple hours of OT or sell some junk laying around the house to pay for the difference. Or better yet make your old lady get a second job.

Lazy is the man that can't find his wife two jobs

Trying to play fuel futures is not fun. My wife tries that and then *needs* me to drive her vehicle.

Serious though, I try to set aside a little $$ extra before hand. We also start laying in fuel supplys about a month before we go as we have about 40 gals worth in cans. Came in handy one year due to a rock into a gas tank and nothing worse than having to drive into town to refuel.

if its much over $4 a gallon I will be rethinking the trip. will take the vacation alot closer to home,,,,,,,,

our own govewrnment is allowing the export of fuel to keep the prices atrificially high,,, Gasoline was the USA,s largest export this year !!

Its gonna take whatever it takes depending on the draw,,,,then Ill figure out if im taking a toyo and a tent or my larger camper r v .

Trips are already planned, schedule is cleared. At $4/gallon my trip to Wyoming will be around $900, split three ways is $300 a man.

Air-fare to Nevada(or Idaho if the draw fails) is about $400, plus rental car and gas for that.

There is no cheap way to travel cross-country these days. I just work more, and prioritize my spending.

Last edited:
I try not to get caught up in the financial aspect of my hunting-I sleep better that way.

We pay 5$ a gallon so the guys over here in the desert can pay 60cents per gallon. I know because i'm deployed at the moment. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I've paid for fuel once this year.
Company vehicles are fantastic.

No worries about gas prices, I think Obama wants his job back.If it hangs out over $4 a gallon he's toast;which is fine for me.Every year same post.I'd worry more next year then this year.maybe, if we kept some of the oil we drill in the US instead of exporting it we had better prices.I know, sounds crazy doesn't it.God forbid the oil companies stop making record profits.Simple as jacking up the export tax to keep it here
Back on topic, buy your license.Gas won't stay above $4 and will be cheap by hunting season as thats election time

You dont know how lucky you are, i am paying almost $10/gallon in the UK at the moment!
Mind you all my hunting and fishing is no further than 20 miles from home.
Cheers
Richard

Election year or not, historically gas prices drop after Labor Day. Every Presidential election year, the sitting President gets accused of manipulating policy to lower gas prices. Just a function of supply and demand at that time. Americans are traveling a lot less in the fall.

Regardless, the increase in gas cost relative to the entire cost of the trip is not much. And, when compared to the pile of fun you will have, it is the best money you will spend.

As some have said, just go hunt and enjoy yourself.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back