Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY Price Hike Implications

They could raise the cost 20x for high quality "trophy" areas and sell every one. IMO they are all playing a game with the market price, and if they wanted to push it they could. Just look at what some stats charge for NR big 3. They could raise the price to the cost of a guided hunt in Canada and still sell every tag.

When do they post those preliminary elk tag allocation numbers? Gotta be soon. Application period opens Jan 1

I bet fewer tags are sold in the special draw and that random odds for most tags are at least 2-3X the regular draw. The impact on the point level difference needed to guarantee a tag in the special verses regular will remain relatively small.

edit - for elk, DA will show a larger impact on draw results

Last edited:
Count me as one of those who will drop out of the special pools. My limit has been reached. They lost me on moose and sheep when they raised the cost of points, and they're losing me again with the latest changes.

I'm starting to lose interest with some of the price hikes. Probably still hunt WY but not nearly as often. My friends are all saying something similar.
Same in my circle of friends. But that's what is needed and what is wanted as well. These tag games are like heroin to hunters it seems these days. Many going in debt like stated above. Crazy!

They could raise the cost 20x for high quality "trophy" areas and sell every one. IMO they are all playing a game with the market price, and if they wanted to push it they could. Just look at what some stats charge for NR big 3. They could raise the price to the cost of a guided hunt in Canada and still sell every tag
San Carlos reservation back home sells elk tags for 10k, WMAT for 20k, at least the last time I looked. 2k for a tag is peanuts to some, and there's no shortage of hunters who can afford to write those checks.

San Carlos reservation back home sells elk tags for 10k, WMAT for 20k, at least the last time I looked. 2k for a tag is peanuts to some, and there's no shortage of hunters who can afford to write those checks.
yeah they sell a few tags for trophy bulls for that - not 15,000 tags for mostly raghorns and tag soup for the majority.

yeah they sell a few tags for trophy bulls for that - not 15,000 tags for mostly raghorns and tag soup for the majority.
WMAT sells 50+ tags at 20k. Point being, the price people will pay to hunt the top tier units is way above the 2k that WY will charge in the special. How many NR top tier tags are in WY? Probably not more than 50. The original.post was referring to the top trophy hunts

I don’t think the price increase is going to deter the group of people who want to cycle through as many times as possible before they can’t hunt anymore. I think it will have an impact for those who aren’t planning on continuing with WY after they burn their points one last time or that don’t care if they have one fewer chance before they hang it up.

Fat cats are cycling thru multi hunts by going guided on GEN tags around Jelkystone and paying to discount the hunt with larger point holders. Spammed a dozen guides, curious to see what a pile of points would pay, 80% responded with offers.

Fat cats are cycling thru multi hunts by going guided on GEN tags around Jelkystone and paying to discount the hunt with larger point holders. Spammed a dozen guides, curious to see what a pile of points would pay, 80% responded with offers.
Wow. Really?!? That's one thing I hope WY changes.

I will be just applying for the regular draw and still a couple years out with only 3 preference points. I’m not willing to pay 2000 for an elk, possibly a moose hunt. I see just as many people jumping into the special draw as the regular draw.

It's mind blowing to me that people balk at $2,000 for WY for how much of a quality hunt you can have. Especially when hardly anyone complains about MT at $1,000+ for a flippin general tag.

Even if you draw a special tag every 5 years at 2 grand a pop, that isn't even $40 a month over that timeframe. Or like $10 a week. Give me a break.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back