Caribou Gear Tarp

For Greenhorn

Could it be possible that Bobby Hill leases other ranchers land in other units?

Sure, why not? You looking for a hunt?

I did a google search for: "bobby hill" + "hill ranches". Three of the five web page results were Eastman's. :D

Big Shooter,

There is a significant difference beteween what Eastman's preachs and what they do. If you can't see that, you don't want to.

I am interested in your response to Greenhorn's question. Are you affiliated with them or not?

I watched it but was pretty distracted during the show.. didn't see any guide or mention of guide or private land. But who was that guy that just popped outta nowhere right at the end? Appeared to be lots and lots of elk, some nice bulls, but nothing that can't be found with some effort on public land. Also appeared to be some really nice country, easy walking, didn't notice any backpacking stuff. Big Shooter, would hate to assume, maybe you could fill in some blanks
Here's some information real DIY hunters want to know when they watch a TV program...How the hunter found the hunting location, how he got the license, how many days they scouted for the hunt, how much it cost overall...

Bobby Hill must be cheaper than $150/day.

There's no denying it's tough to get quality hunting footage. But why "hide the weenie"?

Heard that somewhere..

Guy Eastman's response to this subject

Randy, what are the issues with filming a hunt on USFS, state, BLM or designated wilderness? What are the costs/fees, as compared to paying for a fully guided hunt?

Grennie:

We have permits for every place we hunted and filmed. How hard is it? You call the agency, talk to the person in charge, download the form, fill it out, send it in with the money, and you have a permit.

Tons of shows don't go through the permit process, taking the risk that they won't get caught. Does it cost money? Yes, but you are using a public resource for a profit purpose, so you should pay a fee.

Is the permit a reason not to film a public land hunt? Not in my mind.

You ask how it compares to the cost of an outfitted hunt. Way cheaper than an outfitted hunt, unless that outfitter gives you the hunt for promo purposes.

You cannot get a permit to film in a wilderness area. If someone is filming in a designated wilderness area, call them in. They are in violation of the filming rules and allowed wilderness activities.

I don't agree with that rule, as I like to think we should be able to promote wildernesses and the opportunities that exist in wilderness hunting, but that is the rule, so no commercial filming in wilderness areas.

Even Robert Redford was denied his request for a wilderness are filming permit when filming Horse Whisperer, here in MT. So, that is one "permit" restriction.

When we encountered that, we filmed on National Forest, just outside of the wilderness area. We had the NF permit, so we hunted right next door. Pretty much the same experience, just not technically in the boundaries of the wilderness area.

Filming guided hunts on exclusive property is fine. Hell, every show does it. Where the rub comes is when people say one thing and do another.

If our show hits the airwaves, I expect the same level of scrutiny. We have turned down a lot of wonderful private land options, to stay true to our concept of non-guided accessible lands.

Our episodes depict experiences that any person could do, if they drew the tag, and gave it the effort. Not what eveyone will want to watch, but we will be the only people doing such in every episode.

Lets face it, the real reason these "controlled environment" hunts are used is that they result in less cost if donated for promo purposes and greater likelihood of success, or greater likelihood of large animals.

Many hosts and production groups couldn't pull it off on public land. That does not apply to the Eastman's group. They have the talent in front and behind the camera to pull it off. Many shows couldn't.

Since these are profit entities, they are trying to maximize profits. To do so, they need the lowest cost for the greatest chance of success on big critters. Controlled environments provide that, and therefore, that is what gets aired

I have no problem with the Eastman's shows being on private land or with outfitters. That is what most shows do. Like I said, the rub being stated here is that what is being promoted and what is being done behind the scenes has some conflict. I don't know them, but I wish them the best of luck, whether they are doing private or public hunts.

But to answer your question, the issue of filming permits has nothing to do with whether or not you would film on public land. They are easy to obtain and the cost is small when compared to the entire production budget. Not sure why that was given as a hurdle for filming on public land.

Now, if I could just get a network to take my bait, eveyone could be throwing stones at me. :D

I agree that they do a pretty good job. The program (I've only seen a couple episodes) and magazine is very polished these days. Hanes is good on camera, aside from some of the cheesy re-enactments - that sunset, draw the bow and shoot clip... barf. It was a very nice bull too. Congrats to him. Guy needs to attend toastmasters for a while. As gay and painful as that is, it'll help him in front of the camera. I'm sure they're great guys. But come up front and tell it like it is on some of these hunts. It appears they're hiding it. Then with articles like the one in the Denver Post.. pretty hypocritical.

I've watched Jim Shockey's program.. and it's pretty good, mostly high-dollar stuff outside of my budget, fun to watch though, well-done, and no mixed messages.

Grennie:

You cannot get a permit to film in a wilderness area. If someone is filming in a designated wilderness area, call them in. They are in violation of the filming rules and allowed wilderness activities.

I don't agree with that rule, as I like to think we should be able to promote wildernesses and the opportunities that exist in wilderness hunting, but that is the rule, so no commercial filming in wilderness areas.

Now, if I could just get a network to take my bait, eveyone could be throwing stones at me. :D

I know a guy that tried to do a Camps of the Middle Fork of the Salmon DVD. He wanted to film each camp site and discuss the merits/activities of each site down the 100 mile stretch. A useful tool for DIY'rs that pull a float permit. Got veto'd by the Government. Same with guys who wanted to run the rapids with video and sell the DVDs.

One group that got around it was a "Playboy Girls of the Middle Fork" pictorial/err.. uhhhh.... spread ... :D hump

Don't know all the details, but why don't you just sell your own advertising/sponsors and start bringing it to local independent TV stations? Not sure what the economics are, but I know there was a local guy who did that with a TV show and started with the local Fox channel picking it up. Then trying to find the next station to do the same.

Screw the networks, just be your own syndicator.

I like Shockey too. He knows his stuff, doesn't come with an agenda. Promotes his sponsors, but does it tactfully. Some of his shows are pretty humorous as well.

Hanes does a good job, but he does have a cheese factor, thats for sure.

Speaking of Shockey, did anybody see the episode the other night with his dad and his dad's buddy. The dad, Hal, was dressed like Jim and saying he owned the business and was acting as guide for the other old gent. The interaction between those two had me laughing my butt off!

Now, as you were saying...:)

Greenhorn, you asked if I could "fill in the blanks".......well, no I can't due to the fact that I didn't have a chance to watch the show nor do I know anything about the hunt that they were on. I imagine it was probably pretty good footage though, usually is. Sorry I couldn't help.

Glad to see that we can agree on a few things. Does this mean that we are not going to meet at the bike rack during recess?

I've had nothing but good to say about Eastman's with the exception of the “Eastman Way” brand having evolved into something hypocritical and misleading.

Let me guess... You're on the "Pro Staff." :D

Back