Caribou Gear Tarp

COVID-19 Links, facts and discussion. Politics and hyperbole welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One major takeaway from all of this is it’s very difficult to maintain a high level of preparation for disaster. This is due to several reasons:

1. It’s expensive
2. The urgency diminishes over time, causing people to question the urgency and is it worth the cost.
3. Personal agendas (ie agency bloat) infiltrate and add to #1.
4. Eventually the focus and mission is lost, exacerbating all of the above

Then, disaster strikes and we have to relearn some hard lessons.
Not unlike how many of the sheeple assess our military and defense needs...its interesting - and you make an excellent point

Not unlike how many of the sheeple assess our military and defense needs...its interesting - and you make an excellent point
You are correct, this applies to military, law enforcement, fire and ambulance, as well as medicine.

The Bill Gates Ted Talk was almost eerie.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...s-been-approved-by-fda/ar-BB11qhdJ?li=BBnb7Kz

Thoughts on this, my kids have used Azithromycin for years in regards to ear infections and what not. I know I saw something on this that @JLS posted earlier. Could this really be the cure or treatment? Interested to hear more thoughts on things like this vs. numbers of death rates for different countries....... Hopefully some positivity comes from this and maybe just maybe old Donny is onto something?

Or maybe I just have wishful thinking...........
Losartin (common blood pressure med) and remdesivir (a failed ebola treatment) are also being tested. Haven't heard results.

Thoughts I've pondered, and maybe someone here has heard something.

It seems that the majority of community spread comes from those who are asymptomatic.
The virus is spread through airborne droplets.
In light of crushing shortages of supplies, the CDC has updated their mask guidelines for HCW:
HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort. However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option.

So why is there no recommendation/guidance for the general public to wear something over their nose/mouth when outside of their homes?

If this treatment rings true and it provides the treatment needed to kill the virus and he implements it into the medical world that quick that's pretty damn impressive whether you agree with him or not. Fingers crossed......

Huge leap. It should have read "BMG is a major stakeholder in Pirbright who owns the patent to the Coronavirus strain used in animal testing."

But how fun is that?

I see the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as several other orgs provides research grants to Pirbright.

And Pirbright has a patent on IBV a coronavirus that infect poultry. Not Covid-19

But I don't see where the BMG Foundation owns the patent....looks like a pretty big leap. If they do somehow own the patent, wouldn't all the other partners of Pirbright own it too?

If this treatment rings true and it provides the treatment needed to kill the virus and he implements it into the medical world that quick that's pretty damn impressive whether you agree with him or not. Fingers crossed......
I certainly hope you’re not just accrediting this potential treatment to the President? Am I misreading your statement?

You mean the one where vaccines were an essential component to his population reduction algorithm?

You are correct, this applies to military, law enforcement, fire and ambulance, as well as medicine.

The Bill Gates Ted Talk was almost eerie.

I'm not crediting him for the cure no I'm not too familiar with what it takes to implement these things and the FDA and what not but doesn't approval for these kinds of things take months or years to get pushed through?

Forgive my minimal knowledge of medications and pandemics haha

Thoughts I've pondered, and maybe someone here has heard something.

It seems that the majority of community spread comes from those who are asymptomatic.
The virus is spread through airborne droplets.
In light of crushing shortages of supplies, the CDC has updated their mask guidelines for HCW:

So why is there no recommendation/guidance for the general public to wear something over their nose/mouth when outside of their homes?
There is also a significant transmission rate via handshakes, face touching, etc.

One reason recommendation against casual use is they are often ill fitting - gaps along sides etc. Cough/sneeze into your elbow/kleenex and wash your hands proves more effective. Similarly, the basic masks are more useful for the infected person (who may forget to cover their mouth) than for potential "catchers" of the virus and they don't want the sick walking around with partially effective masks thinking it is ok.

I'm not crediting him for the cure no I'm not too familiar with what it takes to implement these things and the FDA and what not but doesn't approval for these kinds of things take months or years to get pushed through?

Forgive my minimal knowledge of medications and pandemics haha
Given it’s long history of use, FDA approval for treatment of another condition isn’t really that big a deal. The initial approval is a huge deal and can be very lengthy.

Comparing Italy to the US doesn't seem useful. Comparing Italy to the Northeast would be more analogous in terms of population density and urban hospital systems, right? For example, Arkansas (my state) has a similar population and density to Bosnia. We also have similar case numbers so far. Although I'd imagine travel is much more restricted there than it is here, which may hurt us.

Just saying the situation in NY is going to be a lot different than a mountain west state (aside from urban settings or travel hot spots like Colorado). What rural states lack in hospital capacity might be made up for in natural social distancing. The opposite in urban centers.
Except when the city folks rush to the rural area's to buy up all theTP on the weekends.

There is also a significant transmission rate via handshakes, face touching, etc.

One reason recommendation against casual use is they are often ill fitting - gaps along sides etc. Cough/sneeze into your elbow/kleenex and wash your hands proves more effective. Similarly, the basic masks are more useful for the infected person (who may forget to cover their mouth) than for potential "catchers" of the virus and they don't want the sick walking around with partially effective masks thinking it is ok.

@Oak

per above...

I agree with @VikingsGuy and would add, that in terms of allocation of resources it's way more important for medical professionals to have masks then you or I, no reason to worse the shortage if it's not going to be very effective.

Given it’s long history of use, FDA approval for treatment of another condition isn’t really that big a deal. The initial approval is a huge deal and can be very lengthy.
I agree its long history of use makes this a low risk short-cut, but adding "new uses" to existing long track record drugs can take years and millions of dollars under normal processes. Maybe this is a lesson that those processes are too slow and unnecessary even in normal cases.

I don't give a shit who implements it if this medicine is what the world needs and has positive effects on this damn virus then let's get it out there. It might not be a cure all deal but it's a good step in the right direction IMO.

I agree its long history of use makes this a low risk short-cut, but adding "new uses" to existing long track record drugs can take years and millions of dollars under normal processes. Maybe this is a lesson that those processes are too slow and unnecessary even in normal cases.
I think most of that "lag-time" is due to how overtly litigious our society has become and how being the "victim" of a bad medicine or practice is an open door to multi-quadrillion dollar lawsuits. I also believe in testing as thoroughly as possible any "solution" we are bound to apply en masse.

Sure, but that's like saying "why arrest drunk drivers, there are all kinds of people talking and texting, too." ;)

One reason recommendation against casual use is they are often ill fitting - gaps along sides etc. Cough/sneeze into your elbow/kleenex and wash your hands proves more effective.

I'm not suggesting EITHER wash your hands OR wear a bandana. Also, do you want to know what the ratio is of times I've told my 6 year old to cover her mouth and nose when she sneezes versus the times she has done it? ;)

I agree with @VikingsGuy and would add, that in terms of allocation of resources it's way more important for medical professionals to have masks then you or I, no reason to worse the shortage if it's not going to be very effective.
Of course, hence me quoting the CDC saying that a bandana is better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back