Us vs Europe.. Clothing

AkE

Maybe a bit controversial topic to start of with as a new guy on a forum, but I`m curious.
As a Norwegian hunter I have no experience with all the us based hunting clothing, Kuiu, Sitka and all the others. But looking at a lot of American hunting shows online has peakeded my interest in theese "unknow" brands.

I usuallu use Harkila clothing, so my question is, anyone here have any experience with Harkila or other European brands of clothing and can compare it to the quality and usability of the different brands?

This a great question.I cant offer any feedback but am looking forward to hearing about over seas hunting apparel.
Looked st the Harkila site,nice looking line,now if I could just figure out how much it costs.:confused:

I'd never heard of Harkila. Looks like they have some nice clothing though.

I did notice a 5 year warranty on the gore tex clothing. That would be nice to have here.

Welcome to the forum. Always great to hear a new perspective on hunting. I lived in Europe for 5 years (4 in Italy, 1 in England) and have always pondered the difference between the traditional hunting outfits of the Europeans versus our "camo craze". It has definitely become a huge industry.

Harkila is what I saw advertised a lot in Europe. I always like picking up Euro Hunting magazines when abroad if not just to see the hunting clothing and accessories they use.

I have tried to visit whatever sporting shops I can find as well, like stated the vast majority is non-camo clothing with a most some shade of green. I have really like a lot of what I have seen but have never brought anything back mostly due to room.

I spent a couple weeks in Norway with my family from there and noticed a lot of nice looking outdoor wear that was not generally marketed in the US. I bought at very fine Norrona hat, for example. Helly Hanson is one Scandinavian brand that is well known in the US. I have also become a fan of Scandinavia's fine belt knives -- both Mora and Helle.

Norrøna make great gear, but is extremely expensive, I think their newest hunting outfit, jacket and trousers cost around 1150 usd. But they last forever though... Helly hansen has become more of a fashion brand up here, but they do make great work clothes. I also think they made some gore tex clothing for the Norwegian army, but I have not seen it on the civilian market.

It`s getting more and more popular with the different camo colors up here as well, mostly realtree and mossy oak, especially the blaze and orange stuff. I must say I prefer the one colored clothing in green or brown my selves.

I have a set of the Harkila dog keeper in camo pattern and they have a 5 year warranty for rifts and tears, a friend of mine got his pants fixed for free after tumbling through a barb wire fence, they are a bit to warm for me for long walks though.

Sfc B I think both Italien and Uk based hunters are a bit more traditional than Norwegian hunters. The Germans are also very traditional in their hunting traditions. Up here hunting is more for the common man, and not so many old traditions.

I`m hoping to draw a reindeer tag this year, and is looking for a pack for that. After watching both the On your own adventures and other us hunting shows I have seen a lot of good looking backpacks for that purpose. I think it was Stone Glacier or something that made an extremely lightweight version, but light materials are not always the strongest.

Search Amazon/Harkila Hem.

Guess I should have included a smiley face....only took a minute to check the Harkila site and not the obvious(Amazon).
"what? the whole world doesn't cater to Americans and post the equivalent in U.S. dollars? WTF":D

I spent a couple weeks in Norway with my family from there and noticed a lot of nice looking outdoor wear that was not generally marketed in the US. I bought at very fine Norrona hat, for example. Helly Hanson is one Scandinavian brand that is well known in the US. I have also become a fan of Scandinavia's fine belt knives -- both Mora and Helle.

Ditto..if I wasn't having a friend make me a cool new hunting knife I would be picking up a Helle....still might.

AkE, Welcome.

I have a friend in Norway who is big in shooting and hunting. Have you heard of GRS Rifle Stocks?

I might email him on this. I know he spends some time here in the US for trade shows and I am sure he has been exposed to the brands you are interested in, and could probably give some insight in comparison.

Helle makes good knives, I had one that was my go to for a long time. But now I use a Havelon and a Swingblade (at least it`s the Swedish version).

Everyone in Norway are using GRS stocks theese days, or KKC stocks, they have really taken off. I think I`m one of the few who does not use them. But I usually hunt with a light weight single shot rifle.

Everyone in Norway are using GRS stocks theese days, or KKC stocks, they have really taken off. I think I`m one of the few who does not use them. But I usually hunt with a light weight single shot rifle.

Probably one of the few KKC stocks in the US. My friend helped start KKC and now owns GRS.

picture.php

I have a set of the Harkila dog keeper in camo pattern and they have a 5 year warranty for rifts and tears, a friend of mine got his pants fixed for free after tumbling through a barb wire fence, they are a bit to warm for me for long walks though.

Sfc B I think both Italien and Uk based hunters are a bit more traditional than Norwegian hunters. The Germans are also very traditional in their hunting traditions. Up here hunting is more for the common man, and not so many old traditions.

OK, i had Harkila, the Prohunter stuff, waterproof yes, great guarantee yes, but for active hunting, way too hot for me, sold it and bought Sitka.
If i had hunted in Montana with my Harkila i believe it could have killed me through getting way too hot and dehydrating, but if sitting in a tree stand for hours on end it's perfect, but that isn't for me.
I don't own any but i understand Kuiu is very good.

I have a question, in what way do you consider UK hunters 'traditional'?

Cheers

Richard

Probably one of the few KKC stocks in the US. My friend helped start KKC and now owns GRS.

picture.php

I know of a couple of guys on another that have Kkc stocks, but not many Grs has pretty much taken over. Are there many Grs stocks in the US? I know of the guy who runs Grs, but I don`t know him.

OK, i had Harkila, the Prohunter stuff, waterproof yes, great guarantee yes, but for active hunting, way too hot for me, sold it and bought Sitka.
If i had hunted in Montana with my Harkila i believe it could have killed me through getting way too hot and dehydrating, but if sitting in a tree stand for hours on end it's perfect, but that isn't for me.
I don't own any but i understand Kuiu is very good.

I have a question, in what way do you consider UK hunters 'traditional'?

Cheers

Richard

I like the prohunter series for late season hunting, moose hunting can be a bit on and off when it comes to activity. But I never seem to use Gore tex or membrane clothing if the weather is fairly dry, they just don`t breath enough for me.

What I mean when I said Uk hunters were more traditional, my knowledge of hunting in the Uk is about Scottish highland stalking, duck and pheasant shooting. And to me it seems traditional tweed clothing still has a high standing. Also there are more old rituals and things than we have up here.

Back