PEAX Equipment

Help me pick a new pack

Beau_G

I know, there's a million threads out there about packs. So many that it makes it difficult to decipher what's credible. I'm hoping you all can help me decide on a new pack....

Current Setup:
I've been using a cheap, ill-fitting Gregory 75L pack for the last handful of years. It gets the job done, but boy is it uncomfortable. The shoulder straps are thin and tend to dig into my traps and cause shoulder pain. Even after maxing out adjustments, the waist straps sit too low and restricts hip mobility. My hip flexors feel like they're on fire with any weight in the pack. Hunting is hard enough, there's no sense in punishing myself with an uncomfortable pack too!

What I'm looking for in a new pack:
I rifle and archery hunt for deer and elk. I mainly hunt multi-day (2-4 days) backpack trips and long, backcountry day hunts where I'm covering 5-10+mi, often times alone or with a buddy who is trying to fill his own tag. Point being, I'm usually packing my own animal + gear out for a sizeable distance...and the fewer trips the better. The 75L pack seems to been a good size for my needs, but I'm not opposed to something a little bigger. The packs with a meat shelf seem to accomplish this. Also, I'm typically carrying a spotting scope and tri-pod, along with the standard clothing/gear.

I'm loosely familiar with the "big name" hunting packs out there: Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Kifaru,... but don't have any first hand experience with any of these. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any nearby retailers where I can test them out and compare. Browsing the GoHunt gear shop, the Beartooth 80 and Marshall from Mystery Ranch stand out. As do some of the Stone Glacier packs (e.g. Sky 5900), but their distinctions/features seems a little less clear to me.

Do any of these brands/packs standout among the rest? I'm willing to spend the money for something nice, so I wouldn't consider price the distinguishing factor (granted it's reasonable).

Oh, and I'm 6'2" 195lbs in case that factors in...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Beau

Here's the deal - ya gotta try them on, preferably with a load.

I've got a Kifaru, and I love it. Before I bought I tried on a MR, Exo, and SG. I went with Kifaru because they had the longest frame (at that time) and it fit me the best. I'm about the same size as you (+1", +/- 5 pds) but wear a 32" inseam pant... Tall, but short/stubby legs. All my height is in my torso. At the time I bought, Kifaru was the only company making a solid 26" frame, which was important to me.

It took a while to be able to try everything on, tracking down where, who had one I could try, etc. etc. etc. but, you'll be investing a sizeable chunk of change in this pack, and it's a one shot deal.

Try
Them
On!

Im an older guy 58 stuck in my ways had a old camping /hiking back pack for 20 yrs and used it hard upgraded to a EXO 4800 and have been very happy and customer service has been great
been running up n down hills w 35 lbs in it and it feels like nothing

TLDR: make a short list and order them all. Wear them with weight. Return runners up.

TLDR: make a short list and order them all. Wear them with weight. Return runners up.
I don't know why this feels "wrong" to me...buying something with the intent to return it.

But, I guess as long as it's not at the detriment of the retailer, this is probably the best route to go.

Ideally you try a bunch on. What is Gohunts return policy? Could get a couple and then send the ones you don't like back. I'll also say that if you're mainly doing 2-4 day hunts and just day hunts the Beartooth and Marshall may be on the large side. I have a similar style as you and use the Metcalf. I've done 5 day rifle hunts with it no problem and it folds flat enough to not be cumbersome while day hunting with minimal gear. Good luck. As they say, buy once, cry once...

I don't know why this feels "wrong" to me...buying something with the intent to return it.

But, I guess as long as it's not at the detriment of the retailer, this is probably the best route to go.
It’s whatever you’re comfortable with. As long as it’s clean with tags, and they can put it back on the rack I’m not worried about. I did the same with boots this spring and was glad I did.

Ideally you try a bunch on. What is Gohunts return policy? Could get a couple and then send the ones you don't like back. I'll also say that if you're mainly doing 2-4 day hunts and just day hunts the Beartooth and Marshall may be on the large side. I have a similar style as you and use the Metcalf. I've done 5 day rifle hunts with it no problem and it folds flat enough to not be cumbersome while day hunting with minimal gear. Good luck. As they say, buy once, cry once...
The Metcalf look like a great pack and pretty close in size to the pack I'm currently hunting with. I certainly haven't ruled it out.

I just don't really see any major downsides in going for a roomier pack. Sure, maybe some minor inconveniences when day hunting, but you can always cinch it down. You can't make a pack bigger...

I'm a HUGE fan of my Stone Glacier pack. But it is the first pack of this quality I've ever tried or owned. If I was to upgrade again it would be to a Kifaru but I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon.
Stone Glacier SkyGuide 7900 for all my hunting. Gets super small if I need it too and all the room I can imagine if i expand it out.

I know, there's a million threads out there about packs. So many that it makes it difficult to decipher what's credible. I'm hoping you all can help me decide on a new pack....

Current Setup:
I've been using a cheap, ill-fitting Gregory 75L pack for the last handful of years. It gets the job done, but boy is it uncomfortable. The shoulder straps are thin and tend to dig into my traps and cause shoulder pain. Even after maxing out adjustments, the waist straps sit too low and restricts hip mobility. My hip flexors feel like they're on fire with any weight in the pack. Hunting is hard enough, there's no sense in punishing myself with an uncomfortable pack too!

What I'm looking for in a new pack:
I rifle and archery hunt for deer and elk. I mainly hunt multi-day (2-4 days) backpack trips and long, backcountry day hunts where I'm covering 5-10+mi, often times alone or with a buddy who is trying to fill his own tag. Point being, I'm usually packing my own animal + gear out for a sizeable distance...and the fewer trips the better. The 75L pack seems to been a good size for my needs, but I'm not opposed to something a little bigger. The packs with a meat shelf seem to accomplish this. Also, I'm typically carrying a spotting scope and tri-pod, along with the standard clothing/gear.

I'm loosely familiar with the "big name" hunting packs out there: Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Kifaru,... but don't have any first hand experience with any of these. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any nearby retailers where I can test them out and compare. Browsing the GoHunt gear shop, the Beartooth 80 and Marshall from Mystery Ranch stand out. As do some of the Stone Glacier packs (e.g. Sky 5900), but their distinctions/features seems a little less clear to me.

Do any of these brands/packs standout among the rest? I'm willing to spend the money for something nice, so I wouldn't consider price the distinguishing factor (granted it's reasonable).

Oh, and I'm 6'2" 195lbs in case that factors in...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Beau
I’m pretty much your exact height/weight and hunt the way you describe. Just did a 10 miler for bears last night w/ puffy/snowshoes/glass in tow. I landed on Stone Glacier after trying some others including the brands you note. It works well for me but those are all great and it’s been 7 or 8 years since I put on anything else (for hunting).

I have a Sky Talus 6900 with X-Curve frame on the way from BHA. Can't report on it yet...

In the mean time, I got tired of waiting and bought an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe/ Vapor 7500 combo. Fits my 6'2" 240lb frame very well. I've yet to fill it to capacity. I've currently got it stuffed with a 14 loadout for my workouts getting ready for Prince of Wales in August. With rifle I am running about 65lbs. I'm going to start putting sand bags in the meat hauling space to get to 100 lbs.

My only beef with Eberlestock is that they are out of stock a lot on the accessories for their systems.

Beat me to it

As a guy with zero places to try a pack on, I had to order/return.
There are several great packs on the market but not all will fit or feel good for you. The only way to find that out is to have several options on hand and throw some weight in them.
What works great for some, may not for you.

Beat me to it

As a guy with zero places to try a pack on, I had to order/return.
There are several great packs on the market but not all will fit or feel good for you. The only way to find that out is to have several options on hand and throw some weight in them.
What works great for some, may not for you.

One thing I’ve noticed is a lot of folks take their pack out of the package or off the rack in the shop put it on and say, nope doesn’t fit.

All of the packs on the market are adjustable, if it doesn’t fit you should first assume you’re doing it wrong and ask for help or watch a video on YouTube from that pack maker.

Gotta love watching some dude shlepping out an elk quarter with it hanging below his ass, and flopping side to side 🤦‍♂️.

One thing I’ve noticed is a lot of folks take their pack out of the package or off the rack in the shop put it on and say, nope doesn’t fit.

All of the packs on the market are adjustable, if it doesn’t fit you should first assume you’re doing it wrong and ask for help or watch a video on YouTube from that pack maker.

Gotta love watching some dude shlepping out an elk quarter with it hanging below his ass, and flopping side to side 🤦‍♂️.
I agree. I kept all the packs i ordered on hand until close to the return date deadline. It took me about a week to figure out how each pack needed to be finagled to properly fit

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back