Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Radical thought on cheap clothing

All of my hunting clothes are cheap miss matched stuff because well I’m cheap. I did win some kenetrek socks at a RMEF banquet that I do like a lot.

I have worn cotton socks and Levi's all my life and still do. Just my preference. Came close to being hypothermic last year. I buy clothing based on functionality not on brand name or fashion. I always have spare clothes in my back pack to change into if I get wet and those are in large freezerr bags.

Potentially relevant to this thread.

I was standing in sportsman's the other day getting some 12 ga shells for the first time in weeks (wahoo) and hear this conversation behind the customer service desk, between two youngish employees.

"Hey do you want to meet up after work? We're going to XXXX to grab drinks."
"I can't afford to. I already dropped two grand on hunting gear this year and I'm behind on rent."
"..."
"I'd better kill a f'ing deer next year."

Cotten and wool is all I'll wear. The cheaper the better. Good Will and Walmart are my favorite places to shop. I don't like the feel of plastic clothes and those microscopic fibers from that stuff are a major environmental pollutant getting into pretty much everything we eat and drink. I guess someday we will learn the health effects of ingesting all that.

That's actually a super valid concern and point.
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's a problem, but unless we just wear buckskin where does it stop? Cotton is largely associated with industrial farming monocultures, you have the plastics industry cranking out synthetics, wool isn't popular in some circles unless the sheep are from someone else's locale...I don't know which is "least bad" but it's all got to come from somewhere.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it's a problem, but unless we just wear buckskin where does it stop? Cotton is largely associated with industrial farming monocultures, you have the plastics industry cranking out synthetics, wool isn't popular in some circles unless the sheep are from someone else's locale...I don't know which is "least bad" but it's all got to come from somewhere.
certainly all on a spectrum, but I don't know many people who dislike wool from AU/NZ and I am getting to the point where I prefer industrial cottom to synthetics simply because you don't find evidence of cotton in every location on the planet.

Probably can't eliminate it, but working on ways to dramatically reduce shedding should be the goal.

Your right of course, that is why I personally feel that nudity is the best option. Unfortunately social norms don't seem to align with my way of thinking and one of my favorite people in the world is the 7-year-old girl down the street and for some reason (I don't know why) her parents don't think it would be proper for me to be naked with her. Go figure

tl:dr version:

"None of my hunting partners or I wear expensive hunting brands made in Asia like Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, etc...so instead we wear cheap stuff, which is admittedly all also made in Asia or Mexico"

...therefore this is a completely not radical thread, but I'm glad we can have this discussion yet again :p

Your right of course, that is why I personally feel that nudity is the best option. Unfortunately social norms don't seem to align with my way of thinking and one of my favorite people in the world is the 7-year-old girl down the street and for some reason (I don't know why) her parents don't think it would be proper for me to be naked with her. Go figure

1643994706537.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back