Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Radical thought on cheap clothing

I have said it before. ebay and "merino wool sweater" is my friend. I have two olive green ones that together cost 20 bucks. Both Italian made and super warm. Awesome layering piece.

I have said it before. ebay and "merino wool sweater" is my friend. I have two olive green ones that together cost 20 bucks. Both Italian made and super warm. Awesome layering piece.
I totally bought one of these at Goodwill for $7. great sweater loved it. Turns out there is some merino wool you can wash and dry (first lite) and some you can't, this one fit in the latter category. It shrank so much my 5 year old couldn't fit in it!

I am in the same boat! Wore my wranglers with carhart base-layers or whatever my dad had that he wasnt using. Now I can get a few things that are more comfortable and keep my dry and much warmer. Comfort is important for long miles and cold/wet days. Killed a lot of animals in wranglers and carharts! I did however find a good compromise when it comes to price. I found true-timber and buy directly from their site. Much cheaper than the brands the OP started with but functions great! Buy what you want, hunt hard and dont worry about what the other guy uses. You will be much happier all the way around.

Spend money on good fitting warm boots. Merino wool tops, long underwear and socks go a long way to keep warm. I found fleece lined Wrangler adventure pants and that is all I wear. I have several coats from waterproof light weight coats to heavy berber fleece ones. I have some under armour base layers and good gloves. This works for me. I'd rather spend money on good boots and warm clothing than a name brand clothing that breaks the bank. Is it any better than what I am using or does it just cost more?

blacksheep

Where I do spend money clothing wise is on boots. I buy different brands depending on what I am using them for but that is where I do not compromise. Cheaper boots very often equates to poor quality. The first thing that will make you feel miserable is hiking in cheap boots and messing your feet up or if they don't vent right, something called trench foot that soldiers in WWII and Vietnam used to get. Boots I buy both on performance and quality.

This is the opposite mentality of the guys who only wear 1 brand of camo, and it must match down to the underwear, bino pack, gun stock, etc...

A lot of hunters obsess about outfits more than teenage girls it seems. Some are more focused on getting the job done as opposed to how they look doing it.

I kinda doubt most camo patterns do as much as hunters seem to think anyway, especially when wearing orange.

There are some values to be had out there, no doubt. I'm not sure being proud of cheap gear is morally superior to being proud of expensive gear though. Nothing wrong with liking what works and saying so either way.
That is a great point! One step further, I am not sure being proud of cheap gear is morally superior to simply wearing expensive gear.

I have a MR pack and bino harnes, Under armour orange hat and vest. I also use under armour boots. Bozeman Speedfreaks 400g and Browtine 800g. Both fit great and I know that I don't have to work about my feet. Wrangler pants scent blocker lightweight coat and merino wool 1/4 zip tops. I don't stick to one brand of camo or gear. I use what works for me and is practical. Not always the most expensive, but it does what I need it to do.

blacksheep

I grew up in a cotton farming family, where they used to be quail everywhere. Now no quail. I have sworn off cotton, as much as possible, which is pretty close to impossible. But I like hearing what you guys are saying about merino wool.

I've been thinking, I like to look at and think about what could be for the benefit of land and wildlife on well managed sheep land much more than land managed for highest profits of cotton. So more merino for me in the future! Or maybe I should start wearing buckskin!

Hola muchachas
this Texas hunter doesn’t buy fancy duds
wife and I hunt for hunting clothes at places like , Costco and academy, eBay
order clearance sale from Duluth, LL bean
dickie’s work clothes,
socks , underwear, T-shirts,

I may look like a stray welder when I am up in Alaska or idaho
but comfortable warm clothes are fun hunting for with the wife
and she enjoys my cold wet weather hunts when I return and brief her on what was working and what didn’t!, “she’s pretty sly on finding excelent deals and gear “

Last edited:
There's some marketing fluff, no doubt, but I don't think it's accurate to say cheap clothes are just as good. I've used cheap clothes, and I'm not going back. I do buy as much on sale as possible.

We need manufacturers to be more specific in what fabrics and weights they use in their advertising. I'm much more concerned with that than brand names.

I have a MR pack and bino harnes, Under armour orange hat and vest. I also use under armour boots. Bozeman Speedfreaks 400g and Browtine 800g. Both fit great and I know that I don't have to work about my feet. Wrangler pants scent blocker lightweight coat and merino wool 1/4 zip tops. I don't stick to one brand of camo or gear. I use what works for me and is practical. Not always the most expensive, but it does what I need it to do.

blacksheep
I am right there with you, MR pack, leupold harness, under armour valsetz warm weather boots, la sportiva trango for colder weather, under armour base layers, browning and truetimber outer layers mostly. Whatever I can find for a decent price and fits right. I would take some sitka, first lite, kuiu gear if the price was right though. Just not going to pay those prices!!

There's some marketing fluff, no doubt, but I don't think it's accurate to say cheap clothes are just as good. I've used cheap clothes, and I'm not going back. I do buy as much on sale as possible.

We need manufacturers to be more specific in what fabrics and weights they use in their advertising. I'm much more concerned with that than brand names.
I respect your opinion
big diffrence between cheap and inexpensive
my clothes aren’t CCC ( cheap Chinese ****) , but carefully selected
, and I don’t understand hype

I live in a remote area and purchase some of my clothing from Amazon.
I like their polarfleece shirt jacket and their puffy jacket in "Amazon Essentials"
Made in Asia but so is Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, etc.

Each cost less than $35 and I wear them over 100 days each year.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back