Caribou Gear

Montana General Season Structure Proposal

I haven’t made it all the way through the day 1 presentations yet but it sure seems like FWP already has a direction the ship is headed. I hope I’m wrong.
If nothing else the region 7 stats are pretty damning. Nonresidents are pounding the ch#t out of it. Time for a major change in their management.

After listening the day one of the CAC it is glaringly obvious that there is a serious lack of data.

The hunter surveys are not producing much feedback and FWP doesn’t seem interested in mandatory reporting of any kind. They said multiple times that it’s difficult to mandate hunter reporting. Repeatedly said people just don’t answer the phone, hard to reach people, etc. Just excuses as to why it’s hard to get significant survey information. They feel like they get enough info to get a general idea. I think this needs to be addressed.

The population numbers are pretty much just averages and projections based off other criteria such as hunter success (which is not good data) sprinkled with actual flight survey numbers to create a “model” and numbers sometimes get “teased “ to come up with a plan. I’m surprised at how little information they actually have regarding numbers.
“Using the number of bucks harvested on a general license is a reliable index to population size.
Using aerial surveys on trend areas is a reliable index to population size”

They are running off a plan from the 1990s that was modified in 2001 and are reluctant to change because they don’t want to scrap it and produce an entirely new plan. It’s almost like they are following it out of some reverence for their predecessors.

It’s very apparent that managing for age class doesn’t factor into any of this and is not going to. It’s obvious that mule deer are not near the top of the list of of important species. It’s interesting that the management is merely about hunting opportunities that allow tags to be notched.
  • Some (15-37% hunters are in favor of restrictions to manage for older age class bucks (confirmed).
  • A majority of hunters want the opportunity to hunt mule deer bucks every year somewhere in Montana, with a lower probability of harvesting a mature buck (confirmed)

I was shocked to hear them say that there’s no funding issues and they’ve actually turned down money from organizations. Listening about 6 hours and 35 minutes or so.

For me it just sounds like the disconnect is worse than I hoped. It really does look like there is no change in the near future because they don’t see a problem. I’m not trying to spread hate and discontent. But trying to initiate change is hard when the folks that have the ability to make the changes don’t see the need.

Just some ramblings after a day spent listening to a whole lot of the same thing over and over hoping to hear something different. It really seemed like they were saying “ eh, were not exactly sure but things seem good enough “

As to the lack of people answering a phone survey, is the myfwp so far out of touch that they can't find another way to collect that data?

It's almost as if they don't know what a computer is, or an email address, an app, etc.

Unbelievable.

In Utah if you don’t report you cannot apply next year. Pretty easy solution. FWP will have an excuse to not do anything, based on their ridiculously sh1t data.

Yeah but Utah doesn’t have good enough hunting and management to come up with a five week OTC hunt that encompasses all phases of the rut. Results speak for themselves. Montana does it best without no stinking mandatory reporting. Just go check on Facebook if you don’t believe me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back