Yeti GOBOX Collection

Toyota Tacoma TRD, etc...Seller's Market!

I've been half tempted to see what I can get for my 2000 F250 supercab with over 281k on the clock. 4x4, runs solid, 5.4l V8 (gutless lol) etc. I bought it for $3,600 in 2017 and figure I could get nearly double that today. Considering I work from home (only put 12k miles on since I bought it), I could almost go without a second vehicle for a while until I could put a big down payment on something newer when the chip shortage eases up.

My plan is to wait it out and see what happens with prices after the chip shortage. I feel the prices should come down when the market is flooded with “New” older model vehicles.

I’m also waiting on prices for the 2022 Tundra

One would think the sales weasels would have seen the market for good old 'Merican made products. But the lure of commie slave labor was too much I guess.

Sales weasel in Show Low offered me $15k for trade when I looked for a used newer Tacoma 5 years ago. I laughed in his face and said mine was a '98 ,at least made in America and cost $36k new and with 330kmi on it it was worth more than the worn out '05 I was looking at.

I got a older low mile F150 FX for $13k. Both are worth more now than then....lol Now I have 2 for less than one.

I feel really lucky that I bought Jack before everything went crazy. I paid 10k UNDER sticker in January. With the stuff I have done to it (about 2500 out of pocket) I could get about 15k MORE than I paid......but then what? If I had a spare I would definitely cash in.

Have you looked at used Tacoma’s? $15k-$20k for ones with 200k miles on them and are 15-20 years old around here unreal
My ancient high mile Tacoma gets tons of TLC cause there’s no possible way I could afford to replace it with anything similar at today’s prices.

I had a POS 2016 Tacoma (one of the first available in 2015)...several of you know my loathing of Tacomas because of that truck. I laughed when I saw the same year Tacoma is now selling for MORE than I paid in 2015 with 75-100K miles. I did about fall over looking at local GM dealer and their prices since nobody has new rigs on their lots...$55K for a 1/2ton?!

I was in the market for a strong pre-DEF diesel for a work truck but even those are valuable because the emissions stuff ruined the new rigs

I had a POS 2016 Tacoma (one of the first available in 2015)...several of you know my loathing of Tacomas because of that truck. I laughed when I saw the same year Tacoma is now selling for MORE than I paid in 2015 with 75-100K miles. I did about fall over looking at local GM dealer and their prices since nobody has new rigs on their lots...$55K for a 1/2ton?!

I was in the market for a strong pre-DEF diesel for a work truck but even those are valuable because the emissions stuff ruined the new rigs
It's not unbearable to keep a couple of boxes of DEF on hand...and Selective Catalytic Reduction beats the smell and smoke of diesel exhaust.

Have you considered a TRD Off Road instead of the pro? It is probably 99% as capable, just don't get as much street cred. I've said this before, but I just don't think the hype over Tacoma's is warranted, there are so many other good midsize trucks on the market and the Tacoma just seems a bit lackluster. No doubt it can offroad well, but so can many of the others and the engine and transmission on the Tacoma is just pretty lame IMO. The new Tundra looks interesting. Payload is only slightly higher than my midsize Chevy Colorado, which I don't quite get but probably makes for a comfy ride to the grocery store.

It's not unbearable to keep a couple of boxes of DEF on hand...and Selective Catalytic Reduction beats the smell and smoke of diesel exhaust.
I get that but the part I just don't get it really...attempt to fix emissions but require everyone to use extra plastic jugs creating more trash (ever see a DEF jug tumble in the wind because the dumpster at the pump was full). I know there are DEF pumps at some stations which does help but it seems like it's just trying to fix a problem but creating another. Oh well I'll likely not end up with a truck that needs DEF (either pre-DEF or a DEF delete).

Back to the topic...Tacomas have been overpriced for the last 15 years and there is no reason to pay over MSRP for anything

I was told it was going to be 55k give or take a bit

I am waiting to sign an order for a 22 Tundra TRD Pro, was told it was going to be right at MSRP with less one small discount.
Did he mention when they'd begin to build the '22 Tundras? They've not begun.
For the '22 Tacomas, they're looking @ 18-20 weeks and was told the same almost verbatim...
Then as I was going to place the $500 build deposit, a fancy $2.5k was added. When asked where the hell that came from, I was told all PRO model Trucks have a $2.5k above MSRP. All other truck models are @ MSRP for builds.

Your price seems to fit that same setting. When you actually place that deposit be cautious.
Looking @ '21 Tunda Pro builds, unless you're adding every single accessory known to Toyota, $55k is over MSRP. (Yakima cycle attachments, cargo net, etc. Even then...

Have you considered a TRD Off Road instead of the pro? It is probably 99% as capable, just don't get as much street cred. I've said this before, but I just don't think the hype over Tacoma's is warranted, there are so many other good midsize trucks on the market and the Tacoma just seems a bit lackluster. No doubt it can offroad well, but so can many of the others and the engine and transmission on the Tacoma is just pretty lame IMO. The new Tundra looks interesting. Payload is only slightly higher than my midsize Chevy Colorado, which I don't quite get but probably makes for a comfy ride to the grocery store.
Good post. I was told the same. The Off Road TRD is almost identical, less fancy Pro shocks, etc.
Also the back seat, as I mentioned in the OP, for all the '21 & '22 Tacoma double cabs is crap. A kids legs would be cramped!
Also agree the motor does not hold the same spunk as competitors. However the resale, coming out of this market, is essential. Top vehicle, year after year, with the best resale is Toyota.
Resale (#1) and some of the build perks of the Toy trucks outweigh the Colorado, Canyon, and Ranger, IMO of course.

The lays out the TRD PRO vs the TRD version.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back