Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Today is the vote. GAOA

Without public lands, Utah would just be a place with Mormons and bland food.

False.

Mexican Hat has a couple of stellar restaurants. Moab has some really overpriced Thai food that's almost 2.5 stars.

Take the win, thank those that voted for it & worked hard to get it passed, but hold them accountable for their past actions & current legislation. We've gone from letting LWCF expire for no good reason to permanent re-authorization and full funding in 5 years.

That took millions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of man-hours and tens of thousands of volunteers, staffers and congressional aides to make it happen. It's true that some folks crowing the loudest are doing so for their own political future's sake, but so what. Take the win, be gracious about it and continue to advocate for the next important issue. In any win like this, there are bound to be hard feelings because of the hostility and resistance that the majority has had for it in years where their majority wasn't at stake. It would be the same under Dems too. That's politics.

Sounds like Pelosi is going to bypass committee and bring it straight to the floor so it will pass fairly quickly, with no amendments.

I think that is sarcasim.? Hard to tell on the internet sometimes.
Here is the study. all 800pages of it. Math seems pretty robust although the revenue estimates are probably way too high because of the assume market price of oil and gas.
https://gardner.utah.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/1.-Land-Transfer-Analysis-Final-Report.pdf
Yes, it was sarcasm. I didn’t read any of your attached study but prior studies I have read that made the case for state transfer did not include or address the cost of wild land fire fighting.

Yes, it was sarcasm. I didn’t read any of your attached study but prior studies I have read that made the case for state transfer did not include or address the cost of wild land fire fighting.
Figured it was. I agree that it is a dumb idea. The study just took into consideration the normal operating budget and still came the conclusion it is a bad idea. Not 100% sure, but aren't states the first line of defense in fighting fires regardless of location owner? I thought the state has budgeted a specific amount, which is almost always too low, and then hits the Feds up when they blow through it. That probably wouldn't change. The only thing that might change is that the political party of the Governor groveling for money would be best to align with the political party of the President or Congress. It's like a huge Game-Theory exercise.

Figured it was. I agree that it is a dumb idea. The study just took into consideration the normal operating budget and still came the conclusion it is a bad idea. Not 100% sure, but aren't states the first line of defense in fighting fires regardless of location owner? I thought the state has budgeted a specific amount, which is almost always too low, and then hits the Feds up when they blow through it. That probably wouldn't change. The only thing that might change is that the political party of the Governor groveling for money would be best to align with the political party of the President or Congress. It's like a huge Game-Theory exercise.
IME Uncle Sam carries the largest burden for fighting wildfires. I know for a fact it was BLM/USFS crews doing most of the work on fires on the majority of fires, regardless of ownership, in No. UT when I worked there.

Thanks for sharing that, I didn't know about it. It's not a bill I'm working on, frankly, and have been relying on orgs that are neck deep in it.

I don't have an issue with an open process, and I don't think any of Gosar et al's amendment would make it on the bill, but it does open up a can of worms for other poison pills to get included. If the House whips are smart, they'll get a clean bill out and over to POTUS, who has tweeted that he intends to sign it.

Am I reading things right? Pelosi fast tracked this for a vote with no amendments added ?

Am I reading things right? Pelosi fast tracked this for a vote with no amendments added ?

It will bypass the committee process and head to the floor. Gosar & other anti-public lands legislators secured an open process to try and get amendments added. Not sure what that all will look like, but I don't believe the votes exist to amend between Dems & vulnerable R's who need to vote for this as is in order to campaign on it.

It will bypass the committee process and head to the floor. Gosar & other anti-public lands legislators secured an open process to try and get amendments added. Not sure what that all will look like, but I don't believe the votes exist to amend between Dems & vulnerable R's who need to vote for this as is in order to campaign on it.
🤞

Every Congressman bares the burden of the lobbyists who paid for their agenda to be pushed.

IF... a BIG IF, we made the federal land "purchased" via LWCF permanent funding w/ a State Steward option, I believe this would sell much better than lobbyist pestering to "toe the line"...

IF... a BIG IF, we made the federal land "purchased" via LWCF permanent funding w/ a State Steward option, I believe this would sell much better than lobbyist pestering to "toe the line"...

That makes as much sense as a soup sandwich...

Hey Sytes, there's a nice section for sale with some great hunting opportunities, fishing, etc. that I can point out to you up here in Wyoming.

Go ahead and buy it, I'll be the controlling steward, and let you know if you can hunt it, fish it, and camp on it...

Buzz, I apologize I did not write the entire body for the amended portion I would propose. Here, on HT, we typically provide a snapshot of the idea, as you have done on several occasions.

I received a letter from my senator (Romney) describing why he voted no on the GAOA, I feel like the voice of many (including mine) is just brushed aside for their own personal feelings on the matter. Very disappointing. But very happy it still passed.
Don't feel like the lone ranger. Both my Senators and most likely our lone representative in Wyoming voted against it. They're beholden to their campaign donors.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back