MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

The real joke these days.

I agree. What type of person reports their feelings being hurt to a moderator? They must be a sad person.
@Big Fin, I'll pass along some info that you may or may not have thought of. I'm a member at another forum and they have a sub-forum for Politics and Current Events. New posts don't pop up in the New Posts or What's New folders. So it doesn't bog down or take away from the rest of the site. But it gives folks who want to a place to discuss and debate the goings on of the world. You still have to be reasonably cordial or you will be reprimanded or banned, but more leeway is given than in the general forums.

Never works...it inevitably bleeds over to other parts of the board.

It's interesting, if around a campfire, there would be a lack of hands raised (complaints) because someone had his/her feeling hurt...

Also around a campfire there is a whoop-load of chuckles regardless the content. Basically, if you can't laugh at yourself, you have little self worth to laugh at others.

A level a respect floats around a campfire that keeps the enjoyment factor present.

A few of you need to get over your cry baby whimpering and simply chuckle a bit...
I would like to agree, as throwing around the abuse is a normal (and beloved) part of camp culture amongst life long buddies. But it doesn't translate as well to an internet forum of hundreds, most of whom are anonymous and have never met in person. I would like to see more humor and thicker skins, but I have seen the arguments that started as humor spread across other threads and disrupt the true purpose of this forum. The exact what/how to enforce a productive forum is tricky and no one will always get it right, but I appreciate that Mr. and Mrs Fin try to keep this a friendly and empathetic place. If you want rough and tumble just join one of a thousand Reddit forums. I for one, prefer to stay away from those sewers and support steps to keep HT from going down the same path.

Last edited:
Never works...it inevitably bleeds over to other parts of the board.

It will to a degree. But it still saves the moderators a lot of time putting out fires from almost inevitable topics of discussion. Only the folks that choose to, visit that sub-forum. If someone starts a non-conservation political thread it gets moved to the political forum. It isn't perfect but I've seen it work pretty well.

Wow, first off I didn't even know reporting was a thing. Secondly, who has this much time on their hands?

Ban these types, they wouldn't be any use helping pack out an elk.

Plus 1 million

I'm a member at another forum and they have a sub-forum for Politics and Current Events. New posts don't pop up in the New Posts or What's New folders. So it doesn't bog down or take away from the rest of the site. But it gives folks who want to a place to discuss and debate the goings on of the world. You still have to be reasonably cordial or you will be reprimanded or banned, but more leeway is given than in the general forums.

Previously, we had a Politics forum here, where you had to request a password and the posts did not show up elsewhere. Pretty much what you explained.

It was a train wreck. The disagreements and potshots never stayed within that forum. It attracted a type of person who thinks arguing on Facebook is an effective tool for changing minds. Most of those who were the true regulars to that forum segment added very little to the rest of the forum.

So, I closed that segment and deleted the posts.

Shoot, I just use the “report” feature for unauthorized ads and robots.

A lot of people enjoy talking politics, myself included. And there is no other group I’d rather have those discussions with than this one. So many well-informed perspectives up and down the political spectrum. If I had to guess, that’s the main reason our political threads get hundreds of posts. The antagonism, personal attacks, and vitriol is unfortunately present, but it’s also not the lion’s share of the content.

Every other setting I’ve been in is basically an echo chamber of very similarly-minded persons, and a small quiet minority.

Back to hunting-related content, carry on...

I guess I don't understand...if you don't like what you are reading or what someone else posts, don't read it. Seems simple to me.
That would make things easier for many of us, but sadly not true for everyone. I am always amazed at a 5 page thread that on page 4 has a "it is ridiculous you guys wasting your time discussing this" reply - how the heck did you get that deep into the thread if it wasn't of interest to you? And why reply?

And then it can get worse, some guys get their feelings hurt and then "stalk" every thread, post or reply of the other guy for months - seems silly, but if you watch you will see it here. Add in a bunch of nasty PMs and you start to have the problems BigFin is trying to avoid. I've even seen it spill over from a fight on a completely different internet forum onto the pages of HuntTalk. Sad but real.

In the end the Fins have a balancing act to find the right path - and think they are doing better than most forums I have seen over the years.

Very few of us have sponsors to think about when deciding what should and shouldn't be left on the forum. Randy also works hard at, and does a great job of, being a positive public face for hunting and it would be a shame if a forum undid any of that work.

Having grown up on the unsupervised school playgrounds in a small logging town in the 1970's, it only took a few bloody noses to moderate my annoying interactions with others whose pugilistic skills exceeded my own. Valuable life lessons that I've carried with me for the last 45 years, both in person and online.
No better teacher, bare knuckles.

Very few of us have sponsors to think about when deciding what should and shouldn't be left on the forum. Randy also works hard at, and does a great job of, being a positive public face for hunting and it would be a shame if a forum undid any of that work.
Precisely why he shouldn't have to waste time fielding PM's from members with hurt feelers. mtmuley

Precisely why he shouldn't have to waste time fielding PM's from members with hurt feelers. mtmuley

Yeah, just think if some people had thicker skin and some people didn't use a hunting forum to "own the libs" or post "orange man bad."

A lot of people enjoy talking politics, myself included. And there is no other group I’d rather have those discussions with than this one. So many well-informed perspectives up and down the political spectrum. If I had to guess, that’s the main reason our political threads get hundreds of posts. The antagonism, personal attacks, and vitriol is unfortunately present, but it’s also not the lion’s share of the content.

Every other setting I’ve been in is basically an echo chamber of very similarly-minded persons, and a small quiet minority.

Well said. I share your thoughts. I enjoy all the intelligent, differing perspectives from hunttalk. I have an "echo chamber" forum that I visit regularly. But about all you learn from that is how to pat each other on the back and kick someone while they're down.

Shoot, I just use the “report” feature for unauthorized ads and robots.

Back to hunting-related content, carry on...

I agree.

It's all the same type of conversation you would get around the campfire. At times it might get heated, but either you respectfully get over it or you move on to something else. Everyone has the ability to control their emotions and be respectful. Some choose not to.

I have noticed, in my opinion, most threads that involve President Trump get closed quickly regardless of the conversation. Maybe a knee jerk reaction in anticipation it will evolve into heated rhetoric. But none the less, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Also, I have noticed that there are about 5 members that dictate the direction certain threads will go and then will beat the hell out of some poor guy that states an opinion. They will bully, belittle, and insult the person for not having a popular opinion on whatever subject. But, those fellows are still on here and the guy with the wrong opinion is gone. I guess because they got drawn into something and ended up looking like the trouble maker.

Bottom line is, it is Randy's site to run as he sees fit. We accept that as members of this forum. It's a tough position for a busy person to be in. But I don't think anyone should be afraid to have an opinion.

A good debate is awesome. If you don't like the content, go to a different thread and continue participation on that one. Sometimes there are too many "little helpers" trying to save the world.

Disclaimer: The use of "you" in my comment is not directed to ElkFever2. It is a generality to explain my point.

Well folks it seems every forum I've followed over the years needs adult supervision at one time or another. Hunt Talk is no different. I hope we can continue to enjoy such threads like the Mule Deer Photo thread now that one is awesome. Thank you to all those that have posted photo's there. Some day when I grow up I hope to find a buck worthy of that post.
Dan

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back