Proposed WY fee increases

Oak

Expert
We all know this is coming. However, I was surprised to see this post on Facebook this morning from the Wyoming Game Wardens Association:
Many thanks to the conservation organizations who have been working especially hard to support SF0032 and HB0037, which will help keep the Game & Fish Department funded and operating. These groups include: Wyoming Wild Sheep Foundation, Safari Club International, Audubon Rockies, Wyoming Trout Unlimited, National Wildlife Federation, North American Grouse Partnership, Wyoming Wildlife Federation, Muley Fanatic Foundation of WY, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, WY Federation of Union Sportsmen, WY Falconers Association, and the WY Outdoor Council. No one ever likes things to cost more, but these groups recognize the efficiency of the Department and realize more money must come in or current services will have to be reduced or eliminated.

Here are the links to the two proposed bills:

SF0032 - Fee increases

HB0037 - Big game license raffle

I am somewhat surprised to see the long list of organizations that are "working especially hard to support" these two bills. Thoughts?

If the fee increase bill passes as proposed, the nonresident special fees would be as follows (plus $17 app fee):

Special elk: $1,250
Special deer: $780
Special pronghorn: $700

It will be interesting to see what happens to draw odds if those prices are approved.

$400 for a regular non-resident antelope license...ouch.

Oak always good with providing info, thanks. It figures I go on my first antelope hunt last year ( and hopefully again this year) and get hooked. . . then they want to raise the damn prices. I use to hunt Colorado for elk ( bow and muzz) and they priced me right out of that. I like to take several hunting/fishing trips a year. . .that may slow down if everthing keeps going up. . . but I hope not.

Since I haven't been following this last couple years, can any speak to what happened when MT raised their fees this year(or what ever year it was)? Was there a decrease in NR hunters? Hard to draw areas become easier to draw? I would think you'd see a similar response to WY if they raise their fees.

Last edited:
Looks like 2013 will be my last of the anual hunting trip to WY, It will be 16 straight years this year. I will not pay $480 to hunt a heard that is soo dowm with CWD.
Jay

I can't speak to exactly what happened in Montana with NR resident fee increase, but I do know they had leftover licenses this year. Idaho has lost a lot between the NR fee increases and the wolves, they have MANY leftover tags each year. Never hunted Wyoming, but I would suspect they will see the same thing with their fee increases.

From what I saw at MT FWP website they had left over tags all the way to the end of the season, all though I didn’t need to buy one, so I don’t know if they were actually there or they failed to update the web. I don’t really think that increasing tag fees is the long term solution to funding FWP. Since they are now required to manage many more species than the game species, it would be nice for them to find a funding source that everyone contributes to. I know with what they did to out of state tag prices here in MT, I will have a very hard time talking my best friend into coming back to hunt with me again and until my Ex gets out of my paycheck, my daughter won’t be back until I can afford the tag again. Gotta love NY and child support till 21.

could be a way of combating point creep. Or just a result of seeing the demand and not enough supply.

I'm afraid that the Draw this year is going to get a bit harder from folks cashing in points. But I think those cashing in will come from the mid-range, not Max points...

What the fallout will be remains to be seen. Margin Vs. Volume is a tough balancing act. But when it comes down to it, there aren't leftover General elk tags yet so they might as well push the price point.

Bummer; looks like less tags for me, plus I'll go for doe and skip the buck prices or focus only on elk. As far as the moose price hike -- I'm out.

Looks like a lot of wildlife related legislation rolling down the pipe in WY.
http://legisweb.state.wy.us/lsoweb/session/BillStatus.aspx
Oak, check out SF0076.

Yep, I knew that one was coming. It will be interesting to see how the politics shake out on that bill, but I am strictly guessing that the wild sheep organizations won't fight it much. That herd was reintroduced in the 70's, and has never done very well.

Yep, I knew that one was coming. It will be interesting to see how the politics shake out on that bill, but I am strictly guessing that the wild sheep organizations won't fight it much. That herd was reintroduced in the 70's, and has never done very well.

Haven't read the bill, but is this about the Sierra Madre's?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back