Yeti GOBOX Collection

Proposed WY fee increases

You must be rich then...Way out of my league. After I pay for all the other costs..gas, travel, food....it's already too costly for WY.

Fuel is cheaper in WY so you are actually saving $ by hunting in WY, at least thats what I tell my wife.

Serioulsly adding a couple hundred bucks to a tag is really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things if you really like hunting antelope. Where else are you going to go get a good rifle antelope tag every year anyway? Not many other choices IMO. Look at what you spend in gear (boots, camo, rain gear, gun, scope, ammo, rangefinder, pack, binos, spotting scope, etc.) not to mention the fuel driving from MN and the tent or motel along with food. The tag is still the cheap part IMO.

I am wondering how this will affect the draw odds for all species? It has to help some for those that are not cashing out there points

It will big time. Montana went from less than 60% odds for the deer elk combo to having leftovers. The deer tag was less than 25% if I recall, to pretty much a sure thing. Some guys here think it is all about money, some priorities, but in the end the ones who were on the bubble at the old price will be out of the game and the reason really doesn't matter to those in charge.

Wow just when I was thinking about antelope in WY this year. Have to wait and see the outcome.

Me too. I might never draw Arizona and I've never hunted speed goats.

Price increase doesn't kick in until 2014 (the way I understand it, anyway, which could be wrong) if this passes. I may need to move up my timeline so I can get a crack at one under the 'discounted' rate. :eek:

I agree that tag costs are only a portion - sometimes fractional - of the overall hunt cost. Problem is that prices for gas, equipment and everything else are trending upward too. Faster than income in my neck of the woods. I'll tell my wife she needs to get a raise so I can hunt antelope and/or elk and deer in Wyoming.

Wait for the crashing noises to end before knocking. ;)

loved hunting them and meeting new friends, but that is just too much cash for 30 pounds of meat.
IMO if you put the value solely on the amount of meat for $$ spent you might as well give up all hunting! While I don't enjoy a $100 price jump, its really peanuts in the overall costs of a trip. Heck, the total trip price could vary by that much on gas prices alone with as little as a $0.50 swing. At least I can plan for the tag price.

Since I plan on going everyother year or so it will be interesting for me to see if 'new' units become available with 1 or 2 points.

Well as much as I hate to say it. Things are getting so outta of hand on these prices that I am just about done with hunting out west. Gas,Hotels,Plane Tickets,Game Processing,Tags, it's all gotten so high it's almost out of reach for people anymore. If I can ever draw my special elk tag in MT. I think I am done unless I draw a special trophy species out of pure luck!
I have hunted out west for years but its just getting crazy with this stuff. I gotta pick up an elk tag for a lil fee of 850ish dollars that a resident can buy for 20 something is wrong there in my book. But it is what it is. Things will change soon I think in the next 5-10 years when the states out there wake up. The hunting is not that great. Deer hunting here on the east coast is much better.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back