Caribou Gear Tarp

Proposed WY fee increases

Yep. Outside the core area. Can't see many sheep guys getting too upset. Still, bad precedent to legislate where wildlife can and can't go.

I think if the fee increases in this Bill go through you are going to see a lot of people either quitting the state or buying only doe tags. There is no way I'll pay $400 to shoot an antelope buck when you can get about the same amount of meat from a doe for about 1/10 the buck fee. That's because I've killed 3bucks going between 75" and 80" on the three tags I've drawn and there is no incentive to better them with that price increase. I think many in my boat will do the same thing and try to buy one or more doe tags. I'll still buy the deer tag, even though it's going way above what I think it should be for the overall quality many areas offer because I'm still trying for that one big one and have PP money invested that may require several more years to use them for where I want to draw.

As far as the raffle Bill, I think they will have to make a rule limiting the number of tickets a person can buy to eliminate the wealthy from buying a jillion of them and making it almost like an auction. They would also need to put in a section making the name on the ticket nontransferrable so that a person couldn't buy a ton of tickets for friends and relatives with the thought of usding one of those winners himself.

us non-resident hunters will have to balance wyomings prices verses other states and see whats the best bang for the buck,,,there are other options out there,,,$400 for a buck antelope is a bit steep.throphys are never guaranteed.$400 for a average buck antelope is pretty spendy.

Well I am sure the legislators look at Idaho and Montana thinking they did it why cant we. Our government will never pass up a chance to soak its people. It will pass probably easily.

On the Antelope I don't know that there is another state that has the #'s to compete with Wyoming and the opportunity it offers non residents hunting them so they will prpably get away with it to some degree. There are other states (MT, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, AZ, NM) that have some antelope but getting a good rifle tag or two every year like you can in Wyoming is difficult for residents and almost if not impossible for non residents without buying much more expensive landowner tags.

I've paid $500+ for a deer tag in Kansas and Iowa so I won't complain about it in Wyoming.

On the Elk I will still be surprised if they have leftover general tags like other states did when they increased prices.

This could backfire and cost the state and it's businesses income and lost tax revenue form the NR hunter. Will be interesting to watch. Seems like this would work better if states did gradual increases of say 5% per year instead of waiting 5-10 years between increases and jacking the tag prices up hundreds of dollars all at once.

If you like cheap hunting try Nebraska, $150 NR archery antelope tags and $200 deer tags, but the hunting quality and public access sucks compared to states like ID,CO,WY, and MT.

Looks like the WYGF is not wanting to be left behind compared to what other nearby states charge NR hunters. I don't like it either.

Seams to me that the res hunters could pay a bit more...sorry.

Don Peay's beneficiaries must be the greatest conservationists in the country, then. :W:

Either we pay and retain control, or he does.

Or we let the legislatures decide how the funding is secured.

On the Antelope I don't know that there is another state that has the #'s to compete with Wyoming and the opportunity it offers non residents hunting them so they will prpably get away with it to some degree. There are other states (MT, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, AZ, NM) that have some antelope but getting a good rifle tag or two every year like you can in Wyoming is difficult for residents and almost if not impossible for non residents without buying much more expensive landowner tags.
I think this is correct! Now that I don't live as close as I used to, going every year's not really in the cards. However, going every other probably is and I'd still pay $400 for a buck tag. In a way WY has a bit of a corner on the market in regards to pronghorn tags. The leftover list may be a bit longer at first, but I'd bet most buck tags are sold out. One unintended consequence might be that the higher tag prices hurt the landowners that charge a tresspass fee. If I'm going less often, I can wait to draw a unit with free access...

I'm a newby with Wyoming, just started buildling preference points last year, but the folks I know here that head north to chase prairie carp, would say a $400 WY tag is better than a $31 tag here

I'll just have to see for myself someday :D

I just can't see why the natural gas and oil industry shouldn't be responsible for some of the funding. I know they are a boom to the economy but some of their work takes place on public land and has to have a negative impact on wildlife.

Pretty sad trend.
On the bright side, Wisconsin welcomes you as a fist time nonresident deer hunter for the fee of $79.75 and Turkey tags for $29.75 Doe tags as low as $2
Come fill your freezer where you are welcome with cheap tags, beer, cheese, and great fishing. Archery hunting for deer in WI is great, gun season is kind of a zoo but there are plenty of deer if you do some research.

Judas!!!!! $480 for a deer tag??!!! I was thinking they should have given me a fishing license and a bow tag for the $324 or whatever in 2012. Count me out. Why can't Halliburton pay for my license? They are the ones with all the cash and the roads all over the place.

That grizzly bear tag seams pretty reasonable. How many points does it take to get one of those??? : ). Is that just wishfull thinking based on the Feds or what?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back