PEAX Equipment

Proposed WY fee increases

Yep, I knew that one was coming. It will be interesting to see how the politics shake out on that bill, but I am strictly guessing that the wild sheep organizations won't fight it much. That herd was reintroduced in the 70's, and has never done very well.

I stand corrected.

No official statement yet. I think the feeling is that they do not support the BCA lawsuit (removing Pat O'Toole's domestics), but are definitely not going to support culling bighorns. The idea is that they have co-existed (maybe debatable) this long...no reason to put the rancher or the BHS out of business.

There are much more appropriate and pressing places right now to be fighting the domestic issue.

Judas!!!!! $480 for a deer tag??!!! I was thinking they should have given me a fishing license and a bow tag for the $324 or whatever in 2012. Count me out. Why can't Halliburton pay for my license? They are the ones with all the cash and the roads all over the place.

I take it you don't realize that a NR deer tag in MT costs $570?

No bambi, I realize it. I can only afford to hunt Montana because I live here. I'm building points in Utah and Colorado for deer. However, I live close enough to Wyoming and I'm there enough to have the desire to buy a leftover tag and make it worthwhile. I bought my first one in 2012. A unit 24 whitetail buck tag. Payed $324 or there about. I thought it was a fair price. I also thought they should have at least given me a fishing license too for that cost. I'd love to go back and kill another whitetail but it might just be too high for my funds.

Back in 2008 I had multiple friends and relatives who wanted to come hunt Montana for deer. Now I have none at the new price. Cost is relative to different people based on income and priorities and some of these states are pricing some hunters out of the market.

I am wondering how this will affect the draw odds for all species? It has to help some for those that are not cashing out there points

It may decrease the odds for 2013 in a lot of the less than top units where people with a lot of PPs think they will be able to draw and cash in their PPs before the contemplated big price increase happens in 2014, rather than taking another big chance of drawing the top unit they have been waiting for and not drawing. Time will tell and the elk draw next month may give a clue as to what to expect in the deer and antelope draws that don't happen until June.

I will still pay the price for the antelope tag, but it seems like a heck of a jump. On the positive side, if you are willing to pay for the special draw, it should increase your draw odds/decrease the amount of time you need to wait to draw.

I sure hope this is for 2014 and not 2013. I will be using my points for 2013 and calling it quits in WY as no lope is worth $400 or more...hell it's already not worth the $300 I paid last year.

I loved hunting them and meeting new friends, but that is just too much cash for 30 pounds of meat.

What is the DNR going to do when they see less and less people applying ? Who in their right mind would pay $700?

Who in their right mind would pay $700?

I would pay that for an antelope way before I would pay that for a mule deer or whitetail. Some people are antelope nuts, enjoying the experience of hunting them, the places they live, with the amount of meat you bring home being secondary to the joy of chasing them.

Others would pay that for deer, way before antelope. And probably not as a function of how much meat they get from the hunt.

In WY, NV, NM and AZ, I would pay as much for an antelope tag as I would for an elk tag. Call me stupid.

I hope Wyoming doesn't raise it that much, as it will keep a lot of new hunters from getting a taste of antelope hunting and antelope meat. That is a bad thing in the long run.

It is a states rights issue, so Wyoming will do what they want to do. And, given the demand for tags I don't see Wyoming having leftover tags in their high-demand units, for any species. Maybe in their lower-demand units, which in the long run, might result in no revenue gain, as right now, many of those lower-demand units get scraped up as second choices by guys like me and result in fees paid to WY G&F.

I'd greedily pay $700 for the right pronghorn tag...all day long.

You must be rich then...Way out of my league. After I pay for all the other costs..gas, travel, food....it's already too costly for WY.

I would pay that for an antelope way before I would pay that for a mule deer or whitetail. Some people are antelope nuts, enjoying the experience of hunting them, the places they live, with the amount of meat you bring home being secondary to the joy of chasing them.

Others would pay that for deer, way before antelope. And probably not as a function of how much meat they get from the hunt.

In WY, NV, NM and AZ, I would pay as much for an antelope tag as I would for an elk tag. Call me stupid.

I hope Wyoming doesn't raise it that much, as it will keep a lot of new hunters from getting a taste of antelope hunting and antelope meat. That is a bad thing in the long run.

It is a states rights issue, so Wyoming will do what they want to do. And, given the demand for tags I don't see Wyoming having leftover tags in their high-demand units, for any species. Maybe in their lower-demand units, which in the long run, might result in no revenue gain, as right now, many of those lower-demand units get scraped up as second choices by guys like me and result in fees paid to WY G&F.

Randy,

I would not call you stupid....that is just how you like to spend your hard earned cash. With the cost going up and up and up hunting is again becoming a rich mans sport for out of state.

I have to ask though...who pays for your tags? Is it you or the production company? :)

I do enjoy the chase and time with friends...I guess it might have to become a once every 3-4 year trip instead.

Nope, not rich at all, just have my priorities in place.

Some do...some dont.

Cost of doing business, and still the cheapest part of the entire operation even at $700.

Nope, not rich at all, just have my priorities in place.

Some do...some dont.

Cost of doing business, and still the cheapest part of the entire operation even at $700.

Easy for you to say...you live in WY :)

The fee increase, whatever it ends up being, won't happen before the 2014 season. I think you're going to see a lot more people applying for does and cows when they raise the buck and bull license fees. I've taken three very nice antelope bucks in three tries and I'll be satisifed taking their pictures from now on and will fill the ice chest with a couple cheap does. I'll still buy the buck deer license no matter what it goes up to because I don't have that many years left to hunt them out there.

.......I have to ask though...who pays for your tags? Is it you or the production company? :).......

Since the production company is paid from sponsorship fees we generate and our LLC profit (if there is any) comes from what is left over, in effect it is still coming out of my pocket. The first three years, it came directly out of my pocket.

Long before I was doing the TV show, and long after I am done doing the TV show, the same comment of my original post applied/will apply.

I do agree with you that the costs are going up. I don't have a solution for that. State agencies are charged with more and more responsibilities covering non-game species. Expectations of hunters seem much higher, creating pressures to produce more quality and opportunity. The days of habitat being able to produce those results without much manipulation by state agencies is long gone. Activities on public lands are far more damaging to wildlife than they were two decades ago, impacting what states can provide.

There are no easy answers, but I don't see the trend of increasing costs changing. I hope our show helps illustrate that even when costs are increasing, there are still plenty of opportunities for people to go and hunt other states for far less than the fully outfitted gig, hopefully keeping them engaged in hunting and western public land policy issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back