Non resident Landowner incentive.

What was the migratory 44 years ago? I believe a bill went through lowering the resident migratory license and doubling or tripling the NR.
Migratory state bird stamps weren't required in 1979. I think they started in the mid 90s. I sat on the wetlands advisory council that was the over-site committee for spending the state duck stamp money from 1998-2000. I'm saying state duck stamps started in 1995-96ish.

The state pay plan is one of the hottest debates of any session. Tons of negotiations & back & forth between unions and the state and the legislature. I'll tell them you want a seat at the table and that you'll have this shit whipped out in no time. I'm sure they'll appreciate the help.
Your hand wringing and excuses seem to be knocking it out of the park.

The state pay plan is one of the hottest debates of any session. Tons of negotiations & back & forth between unions and the state and the legislature. I'll tell them you want a seat at the table and that you'll have this shit whipped out in no time. I'm sure they'll appreciate the help.
You need to translate the price increase into NR licenses eliminated. Don’t tell them how much extra they will pay, tell them how many pesky NRs they are getting rid of.

The bills we have seen this session to limit NR to 14 hunting days are frustrating to me as I believe the impact will be minimal. I guess the first step is recognizing there's a problem, so there's that. It feels like its going to be a long and painful process of making ineffective changes to impact NR before R finally realize something major like restructuring seasons needs to happen.

I wouldn't mind the BS programs like NR Native, Come Home to Hunt, NR college students, as much if they didn't get discounted tags. Getting guaranteed tags is already a huge advantage over other NR, I don't see why they need to get them discounted on top of it. I wouldn't mind them at all if they came out of the NR cap.

The bills we have seen this session to limit NR to 14 hunting days are frustrating to me as I believe the impact will be minimal. I guess the first step is recognizing there's a problem, so there's that. It feels like its going to be a long and painful process of making ineffective changes to impact NR before R finally realize something major like restructuring seasons needs to happen.

I wouldn't mind the BS programs like NR Native, Come Home to Hunt, NR college students, as much if they didn't get discounted tags. Getting guaranteed tags is already a huge advantage over other NR, I don't see why they need to get them discounted on top of it. I wouldn't mind them at all if they came out of the NR cap.
They should come out of the cap. That should be the first thing to fix

Looks like the Governor is moving the Goal posts on the bill already. We knew this was a foot in the door, but didn't expect this so soon.

Word is He's amending this bill to ask for anther tag for the 2500 acres . Wonder if the supporters are having any second thoughts now.

Looks like the Governor is moving the Goal posts on the bill already. We knew this was a foot in the door, but didn't expect this so soon.

Word is He's amending this bill to ask for anther tag for the 2500 acres . Wonder if the supporters are having any second thoughts now.
Where do you find the proposed amendments from the governor? Not showing up on the LAWS site.

Fo reals? I wouldn’t be even slightly surprised ol otc Greg

So they can receive unto 6 tags if they own 15,000acres, instead of 5?

As long as the tags come out of the pool(not an increase) and are only valid on private then I struggle to be outraged…however I get where this is headed.

Agreed, most NR come for 4-14 days. This bill has almost zero impact. It’ll impact the NR landowner who hunts the entire season, but who cares about this very minor group.
If we could get it shut down to 5-7 days, pick your week for NR it’d been worth a try. I shall be curious to see if limiting NR to 1 doe license(2 if holding “A tag”) will do anything positive.
Hang on wait and see. I’ve made recommendations to FWP & the commission to open mule deer season and run it in tandem with antelope, giving bucks perhaps a little respite during their most vulnerable days. Keep throwing $hit at the wall, hoping something sticks.

On a sidebar note, spoke w/ our govt trapper yesterday. He’s killed 1600 coyotes since 01/01/2023, approx 1000 here in Valley Cnty. Reason I called is my son had to put a 3 day old calf out of its misery, hindquarters eaten, guts hanging out. Sickening. Predators are going to be very tough this spring on fawns/elk calves. We need to get serious about managing predators in Montana. Anything running on 4 legs eating ungulates needs to be designated as a predator. “If they ain’t for us, they’re against us”.

On a sidebar note, spoke w/ our govt trapper yesterday. He’s killed 1600 coyotes since 01/01/2023, approx 1000 here in Valley Cnty. Reason I called is my son had to put a 3 day old calf out of its misery, hindquarters eaten, guts hanging out. Sickening. Predators are going to be very tough this spring on fawns/elk calves. We need to get serious about managing predators in Montana. Anything running on 4 legs eating ungulates needs to be designated as a predator. “If they ain’t for us, they’re against us”.
Don't they already aerial gun them in Valley (and neighboring) counties? You'd think with how serious everyone is in NE MT about shooting them that coyotes would be exterminated by now.....You can already shoot them from virtually anything that moves, trap, etc., the only thing remaining is poison. Given our liberal (hunting and tactics) approach on predators in MT I think they are low on the list of worries for wildlife. If only everyone that worried about predators worried the same amount about habitat, then we could actually get somewhere.

Back