Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

More Discounted Non-residents licenses for Montana

Most prion diseases (scrapie, BSE, CJD, CWD) have been detected in skeletal muscle at this point. There are enough CWD prions in skeletal muscle that researchers are attempting to develop an ante-mortem test or a rapid test that hunters could use in the field, that uses muscle biopsies.
This would be huge in fish and game actually knowing how much it is on the landscape. The Tuesday evening cwd check station does nothing

The bill is in draft form but has not been submitted. I think they are on day 24 so about 20 days before transmittal deadline.

Back to the original topic of this post.

A doctor from Minnesota has been calling my family members to inquire about leasing hunting rights. My family members had him call me to go over his proposal. He informed me that he and three of his buddies are all from Montana but now live outside the state. A few years ago, they had been successful in acquiring a hunting lease just south of one of our pastures and were looking to expand. He seemed excited for this amendment change as coming back to hunt his home state is now an annual thing and they all have "ELK Hunting" families.

Side note: Their leased lands were lands that the outfitter to our south had under contract the 10+ years prior. That outfitter had to go looking for additional lands to replace the loss.

Side note II: They also have "professional" MT resident friends that want to join in.

It's very depressing when public hunting relies on private land, $$$$ sad.

If MT residents were serious about getting after the run away NR side of licensing, this is a great place to look at consolidation and adding a cap. We tried in 2023, but it died in the House Fish Committee because some legislators use the program for their family members.

That bill needs some work, but it's the best approach to limiting the NR free/reduced price aspect and if there's an effort ahead of the session to talk to legislators, it may fly in '25.

Well, since you can sue a ham sandwich and win nowadays, class action lawsuit time?

Back to the original topic of this post.

A doctor from Minnesota has been calling my family members to inquire about leasing hunting rights. My family members had him call me to go over his proposal. He informed me that he and three of his buddies are all from Montana but now live outside the state. A few years ago, they had been successful in acquiring a hunting lease just south of one of our pastures and were looking to expand. He seemed excited for this amendment change as coming back to hunt his home state is now an annual thing and they all have "ELK Hunting" families.

Side note: Their leased lands were lands that the outfitter to our south had under contract the 10+ years prior. That outfitter had to go looking for additional lands to replace the loss.

Side note II: They also have "professional" MT resident friends that want to join in.

It's very depressing when public hunting relies on private land, $$$$ sad.
Can i hunt it? lol no money to offer just good old fashion handshake and my word that I’ll treat the land with the upmost respect!

I agree though, it’s scary and depressing that everyone is leasing their land and it’s harder and harder to get access the old fashioned way

Constantly adding more and more tags will privatize wildlife quicker than anything. We are already above sustainable tag numbers as is. How many hunters are we going to crowd on accessible land? When does fwp step up and say the resource can’t handle it.
never

Until FWP limits/regionalizes R mule deer tags not much will change . Resident opportunities is a lot of the problem

Back