Major Remington Recall

In my case, I had the hammer drop as I manipulated the safety. No round fired ONLY because I had no round in the chamber. (and, yes, I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at the time anyhow).

I don't own a M700, but even if you follow all of the 4 universal gun safety rules, and even if you don't load until you find your animal, I can still see the possibility for some really bad stuff to happen. Just think if you and your buddy are proned out and your rifle is laying on your pack. As you load that rifle, the muzzle may only be a foot or so in front of you. Close the bolt, round discharges, potentially damages eardrums, bullet hits a rock in front of you and potentially damages eyes from schrapnel and rock fragments.

Certainly not a good situation.

My personal experience. I laid down to shoot prone at a whitetail doe. I got settled, found the doe in my scope, and then realized I needed to release the safety. While still watching the doe in my scope I reached up with my thumb and pushed the safety forward. KABOOM! The freaking rifle went off. I went about a foot straight up in the air. It scared the ever living crap out of me. Long story short I wounded the doe and unfortunately she escaped into a closed wildlife refuge. I walked to my truck, emptied the rifle, and drove home. The rifle went the safe and I never picked it up again until the new Timney trigger/safety arrived. I had that rifle for 20 years and that was the only time it misfired but it rattled me to the core. I've owned over a dozen model 700 rifles and that was the only one that ever went off unexpectedly. However it's always in the back of my mind every time I release the safety on any of them.

My personal experience. I laid down to shoot prone at a whitetail doe. I got settled, found the doe in my scope, and then realized I needed to release the safety. While still watching the doe in my scope I reached up with my thumb and pushed the safety forward. KABOOM! The freaking rifle went off. I went about a foot straight up in the air. It scared the ever living crap out of me. Long story short I wounded the doe and unfortunately she escaped into a closed wildlife refuge. I walked to my truck, emptied the rifle, and drove home. The rifle went the safe and I never picked it up again until the new Timney trigger/safety arrived. I had that rifle for 20 years and that was the only time it misfired but it rattled me to the core. I've owned over a dozen model 700 rifles and that was the only one that ever went off unexpectedly. However it's always in the back of my mind every time I release the safety on any of them.

And your experience is exactly what has happened to thousands of people and why every one of them should be replaced with an aftermarket trigger BEFORE another cartridge is put in the chamber because you never know when it will happen and it can't be replicated!

Well, well. We are finally getting down to the root cause of the issue and what makes the Walker trigger "dangerous". The Walker trigger is adjustable for over travel and for the dreaded Sear Engagement. As received from the factory, the trigger has about 4.5 pounds of pull and approx. .060" travel. If adjusted properly, it will hold at 2.5 pounds with .003" travel and no over travel. So we have a bunch of untrained "gunsmiths" adjusting their triggers and reducing the spring tension on the sear to simulate a competition trigger without taking the proper precautionary steps. If handled correctly, the trigger is safe. If you mess with it and you don't know what you're doing, it becomes unsafe. Isn't that amazing? You can say the same thing about any trigger that has the same adjustments.

Well, well. We are finally getting down to the root cause of the issue and what makes the Walker trigger "dangerous". The Walker trigger is adjustable for over travel and for the dreaded Sear Engagement. As received from the factory, the trigger has about 4.5 pounds of pull and approx. .060" travel. If adjusted properly, it will hold at 2.5 pounds with .003" travel and no over travel. So we have a bunch of untrained "gunsmiths" adjusting their triggers and reducing the spring tension on the sear to simulate a competition trigger without taking the proper precautionary steps. If handled correctly, the trigger is safe. If you mess with it and you don't know what you're doing, it becomes unsafe. Isn't that amazing? You can say the same thing about any trigger that has the same adjustments.

Well well, Baloney! Numerous documented misfires over the decades have had absolutely nothing to do with ANYONE, owner or gunsmith, adjusting the trigger like you are saying is the cause! The "one of a kind" mechanism itself leads to it and poor cleaning and what you're saying just exacerbates the situation. Are you a trained smith?

I owned a 700 as does my father. We have both had the rifles fire when the safety was moved off the safe to the fire position. In both cases there was no pressure on the trigger and neither rifle had been modified. To me that is unnacceptable.
Luckily both rifles were pointed in a safe direction. My dad kept his rifle and now never puts a cartridge in the chamber until his is ready to shoot. I often hunt in timber and when I am alone I will put a round in the chamber when things get elky. I carry the rifle with the safety on and then only put the safey off when I am ready to shoot. That is the exact scenario when my 700 pre fired. I immediately put a timney on the rifle. I no longer trusted the rifle and could not in good conscience sell the rifle with the factory trigger. My new rifle has a three position locking safety and a trustworthy trigger.
The problem I have with Remington is not that they make a less than perfect product. No one makes a perfect rifle. The problem is that Remington has known for decades that their trigger is unsafe and has actively avoided taking responsibility for it.

With stuff like this happening I can't even believe there is a debate in keeping this trigger.

I have witnessed it with a complete unmolested 700 trigger and it scared the excrement out of me. This topic isn't supporting your local sports team with undying loyalty it is a simple fact that there is a design flaw in the trigger that has the capacity to fail period. Ask the engineer that invented it.

I am mostly a Winchester guy but my 700's I own all have Timney triggers in them.

I am with you Topgun 30-06 ignore the distractors.

Well well, Baloney! Numerous documented misfires over the decades have had absolutely nothing to do with ANYONE, owner or gunsmith, adjusting the trigger like you are saying is the cause!

Can you support that statement with documentation?

And by documentation, I don't mean "something that someone said happened to their brother" on the internet.

In other words, I'm looking for a rifle that has been documented to randomly fire as claimed AND has been inspected by a neutral party stating that the trigger was not messed with.

FWIW, I'd just like to see it if it exists. Its not a challenge.

A cpl people on Ifish have claimed their stock, untouched triggers went off with bolt closure. I would guess dirt/gunk in the mechanism preventing the trigger sear from returning fully.

Can you support that statement with documentation?

And by documentation, I don't mean "something that someone said happened to their brother" on the internet.

In other words, I'm looking for a rifle that has been documented to randomly fire as claimed AND has been inspected by a neutral party stating that the trigger was not messed with.

FWIW, I'd just like to see it if it exists. Its not a challenge.

The fact was documented and brought up in the various court cases where the plaintiffs settled on various amounts of money. I've done my leg work and you can do yours if you care to spend many hours on this like I have over the last 4-5 years! They settled many cases to lessen their damages and try to keep it out of the public eye like they still are trying to do by this settlement, rather than a recall. There are people all over the major hunting websites saying the same thing that WapitiBob said he read and I've read hundreds of posts to the same effect over the years.

Last edited:
I have witnessed it with a complete unmolested 700 trigger and it scared the excrement out of me. This topic isn't supporting your local sports team with undying loyalty it is a simple fact that there is a design flaw in the trigger that has the capacity to fail period. Ask the engineer that invented it.

I am mostly a Winchester guy but my 700's I own all have Timney triggers in them.

I am with you Topgun 30-06 ignore the distractors.

This isn't the first go around I've had on this situation and I'm sure it won't be the last. If people would just look into the situation and just watch the interview with the inventor himself it would sure help. Nope, all they want to do is blame the Liberal media who reported on it. Sure they have an axe to grind, but every owner of these rifles and anyone around them is at risk unless the problem is resolved like you did.

The fact was documented and brought up in the various court cases where the plaintiffs settled on various amounts of money. I've done my leg work and you can do yours if you care to spend many hours on this like I have over the last 4-5 years! They settled many cases to lessen their damages and try to keep it out of the public eye like they still are trying to do by this settlement, rather than a recall. There are people all over the major hunting websites saying the same thing that WapitiBob said he read and I've read hundreds of posts to the same effect over the years.

That's what I figured. You're on here bloviating with no hard evidence.

Just a bunch of stuff you've read on the internet.

That's what I figured. You're on here bloviating with no hard evidence.

Just a bunch of stuff you've read on the internet.

What's the matter ? If you are so interested in proving me wrong, then find your own dang evidence. Watch the interview with the inventor if you don't have time for anything else and get off my case!

What's the matter ? If you are so interested in proving me wrong, then find your own dang evidence. Watch the interview with the inventor if you don't have time for anything else and get off my case!

Well, if its so obvious to the rest of us idiots because it happens SO OFTEN....you should be able to come up with a solid example pretty easily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back