Major Remington Recall

Fact of the matter is, the general public is comprised of idiots, and companies need to make idiot-proof guns.

For the rest of us, we can keep our Walker triggers.

Over two dozen deaths, numerous injuries that I don't believe have ever been counted for an exact total, and over 20,000 misfires when the misfire didn't result in anything but a bang at the wrong time. The latter figure could be low because I've read a lot of posts on sites over the last five years by guys saying the misfire happened to them and was never reported because they didn't know about the problem or what to do about it. You're just one of many that have made the "it's never happened to me...", but the fact is that the trigger is defective. It sounds like from the way you worded that sentence that you have had some misfires yourself. Would you care to comment on them?

Just out of curiosity Topgun, how many of your Remingtons have had a Walker trigger misfire?

. But when it comes to big game hunting with a bolt action rifle, I disagree with the previous argument. My answer to that would be to become a better hunter.

I can think of a few bucks I've sneaked up on in their beds that would have bolted for hell at the sound of a rifle cycling.

Guess I must need to work on my skills!!! :hump:

Just out of curiosity Topgun, how many of your Remingtons have had a Walker trigger misfire?

Never had one and never will, so I'm not biased because I've had any that went off. :rolleyes: Anybody that dismisses this as no big deal after the inventor stated it needs to be fixed because of the chances of it going off when it shouldn't are nuts when we're talking about life and death consequences! It's very obvious that people that make the kinds of statements that some of you are making haven't the slightest idea of how this particular trigger that is one-of-a-kind works and can cause what is happening in thousands of rifles. End of my comments on this thread because you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! I :W: and hope it doesn't happen to any of you naysayers that own one and won't do anything.

A good finely tuned Walker trigger is a joy. Just so happens to be attached to a geat rifle. mtmuley

Never had one and never will, so I'm not biased because I've had any that went off. :rolleyes:

Yet you seem to be portraying the roll of the victim in this situation more than those of us actually affected. I have to wonder why you have such an ax to grind against a company with several million satisfied customers? A company that contributes tens of thousands of dollars every year to hunting and conservation organizations. From the tone off your posts it sounds as if your hopes in starting this thread were to lead a revolt against Remington and can't understand why everyone didn't jump in line. Some of us choose not to be victims.

Yet you seem to be portraying the roll of the victim in this situation more than those of us actually affected. I have to wonder why you have such an ax to grind against a company with several million satisfied customers? A company that contributes tens of thousands of dollars every year to hunting and conservation organizations. From the tone off your posts it sounds as if your hopes in starting this thread were to lead a revolt against Remington and can't understand why everyone didn't jump in line. Some of us choose not to be victims.

I agree. Seems like some kind of personal bent.

My "personal bent" is because I've delved deeply into this for a few years and know exactly how these mechanisms work and can fail with no notice when something bad happens. If I can convince people that don't know much about how firearms work or think like a lot of you that it's all media hype, then by making my posts I feel I'm doing a public service. From the posts made by 6 speed it sounds like he doesn't give a damn if injuries and deaths continue as long as Remington keeps putting money where he says and he isn't even correct in his statement about PR funding. I can't believe anyone with an affected Remington firearm would not immediately take care of the potential problem if they find out about it when the inventor himself says it needs to be fixed, but this happens every time the subject comes up and I'm not surprised at all at some of the dumb comments I read.

If I can convince people that don't know much about how firearms work or think like a lot of you that it's all media hype, then by making my posts I feel I'm doing a public service.

I asked my 'smith about them once. He said the problems come from 1) spraying junk-collecting stuff like WD-40 into the triggers and 2) idiots trying to adjust them.

He's been a well-respected 'smith for a lot of years. While I may not be a mechanical engineer, I'll take his advise over what I read on the internet any day.

I asked my 'smith about them once. He said the problems come from 1) spraying junk-collecting stuff like WD-40 into the triggers and 2) idiots trying to adjust them.

He's been a well-respected 'smith for a lot of years. While I may not be a mechanical engineer, I'll take his advise over what I read on the internet any day.

And did your well respected smith invent that trigger---NOPE, and the advice that it needs fixing was given by the inventor, Mike Walker, not the media, and the problem is exacerbated by what he told you and not the actual problem itself!!! People like yourself that can't understand plain English deserve whatever happens, but in this case if it does happen to you I hope it doesn't harm someone!

Why would you "delve deeply" into it if you don't have a Remington? The Walker trigger is actually fairly simple to understand so knowing exactly how they work is not overly difficult. Some tragic events have been connected to Remington rifles. Tragic events have also been connected to many other things. Imagine the poor guy who got killed by a falling tape measure. As for the PR funding you can choose to believe that the 11% tax paid on 8 million rifles has no connection to the company that built them but I have a hard time believing without Remington in the firearms and ammunition business the funding would have been the same.

If anyone wants to sell their Walker triggers, I'd be happy to buy them! Would be more than willing to trade an Xmark...

People like yourself that can't understand plain English deserve whatever happens, but in this case if it does happen to you I hope it doesn't harm someone!
As I once read and often recall: "Carefully learn the art of persuasion, because being right is rarely enough to carry the day."

Dude, everyone has different rules. And I didn't make that rule up. There are hundreds of people that follow the same rule. It's a matter of what people are comfortable with. There is no arguing that an empty chamber can not discharge a round. Period. I hear the argument that chambering a round makes too much noise or takes too much time in a hunting environment. Bird hunting, yes, I can see that it isn't feasible. But when it comes to big game hunting with a bolt action rifle, I disagree with the previous argument. My answer to that would be to become a better hunter.

If I can take an extra precaution to keep a bullet hole out of my kid, myself, or my pickup, I'm going to do it. By the way, lots of people drive drunk too. I choose not to.

Empty guns have killed a lot of people over the years. Treat all guns like they're loaded

Jeff Coopers 4 Rules of Firearms Safety:

1.All guns are always loaded.
2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3.Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4.Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

NRA's 3 Rules of Firearms Safety (written by Jeff Cooper, lol)

1.ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2.ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3.ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

If I am hunting I am ready to use it. If I am carrying concealed I am ready to use it. If my gun is for home defense I am ready to use it. Pretty simple really.

And for giggles:

Project Appleseed's 4 Rules of Firearms Safety

1.Always keep the muzzle in a safe direction.
2.Do not load until given the load command.
3.Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.
4.Make sure those around you follow the safety rules.

Canadian Firearms Program

Assume every firearm is loaded.
2.Control the muzzle direction at all times.
3.Trigger finger off trigger and out of trigger guard.
4.See that the firearm is unloaded. PROVE it safe

I am an NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home instructor as well as other disciplines and I follow and teach Jeff Cooper's 4 Rules. As always, Your Mileage May Vary

Why would you "delve deeply" into it if you don't have a Remington? The Walker trigger is actually fairly simple to understand so knowing exactly how they work is not overly difficult. Some tragic events have been connected to Remington rifles. Tragic events have also been connected to many other things. Imagine the poor guy who got killed by a falling tape measure. As for the PR funding you can choose to believe that the 11% tax paid on 8 million rifles has no connection to the company that built them but I have a hard time believing without Remington in the firearms and ammunition business the funding would have been the same.

I didn't start this thread to get into a pizzing match with you, but it certainly seems that you'd like to continue trying to make it one! I also have no idea why you made the "trigger is fairly simple to understand" statement and I won't argue one way or the other because it is not relevant in this discussion between us. I've been retired since 2002 and have time to look into things that interest me when I'm not out enjoying the outdoors. I started shooting and hunting back in the early 50s and those are my passions, so this matter certainly interested me greatly when I first learned of the alleged problem even though there are no Remingtons in my safes, never have been, and never will be. Anyway, to answer your question, that's why I "delved deeply" into this matter! Why do you keep coming back with silly statements like your present post, which again intimates the philosophy that "oh well, things happen once in a while, so big deal"?! Also, why do you continue to bring up this PR money deal when it has nothing to do with this matter? Remington, nor any other sporting goods company, is in business to sell their goods in order to bolster the PR funds and they don't contribute that tax money going to PR. We do when we buy their products, but I would not argue that the sale of those rifles certainly represented a nice chunk of change that went to PR. However, to possibly intimate that poor products should be allowed to go out the door at any percentage just because the company is big and sells a lot of rifles that help the PR funding is ludicrous! Let's just agree to disagree and move on with hopes that unknowing people that have the affected rifles will be alerted about the defect and take care of the problem to lessen the chances of more accidents happening in the future. :hump:

Last edited:
Since we are also listing gun safety rules in this thread, I'll throw in the Eddie Eagle rules for **its and giggles....

1. Stop!
2. Don't Touch!
3. Leave the Area!
4. Tell an Adult!

Yea...there was a fun little video and rap to go along with this lesson when it came out. Not thinking it would have helped in the multiple Remington "accidents," but I thought it might help lighten the mood here a bit...

Seems a few folks here have had their 700 discharge per the topic at hand.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...-Group-to-recall-millions-of-Model-700-rifles

I have read so many threads like that over the years where a number of folks came out and said their rifle also went off unexpectedly, but few, if any, reported it to the company. I believe estimates are that over 20,000 have misfired, but I think it may be well above that number when you read so many people coming out of the wood work like they did on that link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back